Author Topic: Important what if science question (Chingon bait thread)  (Read 7605 times)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Important what if science question (Chingon bait thread)
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »
Hypothetical question. Let's say at the exact center of the earth, or any similarly sized planet, there was a void the size of a room or so. And you were in that void. What would happen? Gravity-wise, pressure-wise? The void could withstand the physical pressure of the earth bearing on it, but would gravity be stronger there? If it were, would you just be crushed, suspended in the center of the room? Or would it just be like space, where you could just float around? I need some help here, man.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Important what if science question (Chingon bait thread)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
Gravity would be the same you would think, or maybe even less since the attraction of the mass of the earth would end at the walls around you, thus 9.8m/s^2 stops there....? IDK we need Chingon for sure. Very important question

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:31:17 PM »
I think you would catch on fire.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »
the earth's center is molten (solid inner core, liquid outer core) because of some of the reasons you listed. To try and imagine what an empty whole would be like is impossible because it could never exist.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
Gravity would be the same you would think, or maybe even less since the attraction of the mass of the earth would end at the walls around you, thus 9.8m/s^2 stops there....? IDK we need Chingon for sure. Very important question

According to space-time continuum, it would be more the closer you are to the center of mass. Right? Or is it just mass that affects gravity, so it's pulling you outward? CHINGON????

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
the earth's center is molten (solid inner core, liquid outer core) because of some of the reasons you listed. To try and imagine what an empty whole would be like is impossible because it could never exist.

Your imagination apparently doesn't exist either.

Quote from: me
Hypothetical!!!!

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »

According to space-time continuum, it would be more the closer you are to the center of mass. Right? Or is it just mass that affects gravity, so it's pulling you outward? CHINGON????

Hmm didn't think of this. That actually makes more sense. CHINGON!!!!!!!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
Steve Dave already answered pretty much this exact same question:

If there was a tunnel from one side of the Earth to the other, what would happen when passing through the center? Obviously if you take heat out of the equation.

You would be squashed

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
[/thread]

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
[/thread]

Back up with smart physics talk please

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »
[/thread]

I thought on this board "Steve Dave said so" would carry more weight!!

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »
[/thread]

I thought on this board "Steve Dave said so" would carry more weight!!

lol oh yeah i forgot

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »
Hypothetical question. Let's say at the exact center of the earth, or any similarly sized planet, there was a void the size of a room or so. And you were in that void. What would happen? Gravity-wise, pressure-wise? The void could withstand the physical pressure of the earth bearing on it, but would gravity be stronger there? If it were, would you just be crushed, suspended in the center of the room? Or would it just be like space, where you could just float around? I need some help here, man.
Gravitational force at exact center would be 0 N.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »

But why

Edit: Actually that makes sense now. Just drew a free body diagram in my head

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:13 AM »
If I was a smurf my dick would be blue.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 04:53:15 AM »
First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village. But the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have... reproductive organs under those little, white pants. It's just so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. You know, what's the point of living... if you don't have a dick?

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »

True if: 1) the Earth is a perfect sphere (it isn't), 2) the Earth is also of uniform density (it isn't), and 3) the Earth exists in a void in which no external objects exert a gravitational force on it (theyd do).

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »

True if: 1) the Earth is a perfect sphere (it isn't), 2) the Earth is also of uniform density (it isn't), and 3) the Earth exists in a void in which no external objects exert a gravitational force on it (theyd do).
1) Close enough, the assumption of a  well defined "center" implies a sphere is which is enough to answer his question
2) As long as the density is only dependent on the distance from the center the variance in density doesn't matter
3) Yes the every other object in the visible Universe exerts a gravitational force as well, but I don't think ew2x4 wanted to include every possible other object in the visible Universe.

But yes you can successfully nitpick an infinitum if you want.  You sure showed those EP1 profs a thing or two I bet!

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
SQUASHED!

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
Falling into a black hole is much more fun than being at the center of Earth. Then you get to used words like spaghettification.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »
There is some crazy crap in this universe

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »

1) Close enough, the assumption of a  well defined "center" implies a sphere is which is enough to answer his question
2) As long as the density is only dependent on the distance from the center the variance in density doesn't matter
3) Yes the every other object in the visible Universe exerts a gravitational force as well, but I don't think ew2x4 wanted to include every possible other object in the visible Universe.

But yes you can successfully nitpick an infinitum if you want.  You sure showed those EP1 profs a thing or two I bet!

So basically i t would be +/- a very small amount of Newtons?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 01:07:12 PM »

1) Close enough, the assumption of a  well defined "center" implies a sphere is which is enough to answer his question

But yes you can successfully nitpick an infinitum if you want.  You sure showed those EP1 profs a thing or two I bet!

Yeah, this is a basic hypothetical with no nitpicky nancies.

So what you are saying is that just because it's the center of gravity, it doesn't mean anything. That the mass is what pulls you towards it? And you would float around like in outer space? I was kinda thinking that, but something about center of gravity made me think that it would be more powerful the closer you got.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »

1) The Earth isn't spherical, its basic shape is more that of a nonuniform oblate spheriod (those approximately 19 extra miles of mass around the equator are going to throw off your rather unclever assumption).  And because your next unclever assumption is rather obvious: so will surface nonuniformities, you know, small things like continents, mountain ranges, etc.

2) The Earth's density is most definitely not a function only of the distance from "center" (another rather unclever assumption that prevents you from reaching the correct answer).  Unless you, for example, believe that the air in Mammoth Cave has precisely the same density as the rock surrounding it.  Similarly, since the material composition of the planet isn't uniform anywhere your assumption of uniformity is merely uniformly ignorant.

3) There exists an object with which you may be familiar, colloquially referred to as "The Moon" (take a few moments to familiarize yourself with it before we continue), that exerts sufficient gravitational force on the surface of the Earth to cause tides despite the roughly 238,000 mile distance between the bodies. 

Suppose that, for the sake of argument, we move forward by assuming as true your false assumptions about the spherical uniformity and uniform density of the Earth.  Even then your answer is wrong as the net gravitational force exerted on a body at the "center" of the Earth is still not zero.  This is true for many reasons one of which is that the moon will exert a finite gravitational force on this body ... unless of course you believe that the gravitational force is somehow able to act at distance of approximately 238,000 miles but will not act at distance of approximately 242,000 miles.  Your theory of gravitation must be fascinating, please do take the time to share it with us.

The question you answered was, "Hey what would happen to a point mass in a perfectly spherical void at the precise center of a perfectly spherical body made of a uniform material that is of precisely identical density at every point and which exists in a closed universe where no other masses or forces exist?"  Unfortunately, for you, the OP asked about the Earth for which none of those assumptions even begins to hold.

EP was  :zzz: but obviously you should have paid more attention.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
i think azcat is the only one who didn't get the gist of what was asked.  at least that sort of thing never happens on the politics board.