Author Topic: 37 FTs  (Read 6787 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 37 FTs
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
So what do you think?  Have the guys settled in and said, "Aw, Frank's glare ain't no big deal" and stopped taking him seriously as a coach?

lol.  fans are hilarious.

Yeah. Very.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 05:35:39 PM »
our defense the last 4 minutes consisted of fouling.  In the last 4 minutes, I think A&M scored 15 points, 13 of which were from FT's. 

4:00 min mark to the 1:00 min mark aTm scored 6 points, 4 on FTs.  It was the last min that they scored 9 after we had to foul.

We had to foul the last minute because Frank Franked up the guard rotation again and put a guard in the game, with 59 seconds left down 2, on a defensive possession who barely played in the second half and he committed a stupid foul because he was not in the flow of the game.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »
Great melting down MIR. Excellent work.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
Great melting down MIR. Excellent work.

I saw Lacey and I trying to cheer him up during the game.  No avail.

Offline CatsFan_58

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 07:09:09 PM »
our defense the last 4 minutes consisted of fouling.  In the last 4 minutes, I think A&M scored 15 points, 13 of which were from FT's. 

4:00 min mark to the 1:00 min mark aTm scored 6 points, 4 on FTs.  It was the last min that they scored 9 after we had to foul.

We had to foul the last minute because Frank Franked up the guard rotation again and put a guard in the game, with 59 seconds left down 2, on a defensive possession who barely played in the second half and he committed a stupid foul because he was not in the flow of the game.
Another "guard rotation" excuse :facepalm:.   Do you realize that it does not matter who we have on the floor? After Pullen, there are the other guards. They all have equal amounts of suck.

Offline KSU176

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »
It is amazing that this team and coaching staff cannot adjust to the foul calling.  Stupid.

i get the whole playing aggressive/denying defense thing, but when the refs are calling it close we have to learn how to adjust, especially at the end of the game

Bingo.  Being able to adjust to the foul calling would go a long way with this team. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »

Your point (which is clear by now) on Frank's rotation is valid. I do think this is the most "high school coach"-ish thing Frank does.  Frank had the luxury as a high school coach of having ridiculous amounts of talent (whether he directly knew it or not its pretty clear his school(s) recruited) and he likely developed the habit of throwing different line-ups out there to find out who could play and send messages. Its a habit he is still trying to break, but there are other coaches who do this, though few as much as Frank.  Its clear he believes that kids learn from being in actual games, and he views practicing well as a prerequisite for playing time. Part of the problem is that overall it worked very well his first 3 seasons here, but this year it is not. It is only magnified by having so many off the court issues and line-up changes to go along with his habit. I don't know how much he'll learn from it, but surely he'll see he can't do that year in and year out and develop any continuity with his players, even if he doesn't change his habit this season. (in a weird way he was probably helped by "open scholarship" b/c he had one less body to throw out there) I'm not sure its cost us a game, but I agree that there are players it is not helping, and overall is making it tough for some of the guys to get any rhythm playing in actual games.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 10:11:59 PM »
If we don't beat Baylor it will of been two months since we have beaten a legit team that is not during it's coach at the end of the season - hopefully frank will realize when you don't dominate the recruiting game you cannot frank around with the talent you do have

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »

Your point (which is clear by now) on Frank's rotation is valid. I do think this is the most "high school coach"-ish thing Frank does.  Frank had the luxury as a high school coach of having ridiculous amounts of talent (whether he directly knew it or not its pretty clear his school(s) recruited) and he likely developed the habit of throwing different line-ups out there to find out who could play and send messages. Its a habit he is still trying to break, but there are other coaches who do this, though few as much as Frank.  Its clear he believes that kids learn from being in actual games, and he views practicing well as a prerequisite for playing time. Part of the problem is that overall it worked very well his first 3 seasons here, but this year it is not. It is only magnified by having so many off the court issues and line-up changes to go along with his habit. I don't know how much he'll learn from it, but surely he'll see he can't do that year in and year out and develop any continuity with his players, even if he doesn't change his habit this season. (in a weird way he was probably helped by "open scholarship" b/c he had one less body to throw out there) I'm not sure its cost us a game, but I agree that there are players it is not helping, and overall is making it tough for some of the guys to get any rhythm playing in actual games.

Huge understatement.  It's been a real "WTF" year.  Everything that could go wrong, has.  And it's talent/coaching centered but the ATM 3 followed by the turnover on failing to properly inbounds the ball followed instantly by a dagger 3 is just a Murphy's Law sequence.  And it is an unbelievable thing to endure as a fan who had high hopes.  I'm just beat up by this season already.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »

Huge understatement.  It's been a real "WTF" year.  Everything that could go wrong, has.  And it's talent/coaching centered but the ATM 3 followed by the turnover on failing to properly inbounds the ball followed instantly by a dagger 3 is just a Murphy's Law sequence.  And it is an unbelievable thing to endure as a fan who had high hopes.  I'm just beat up by this season already.

One of the roughest parts of this season for me has been realizing that I had put high expectations on this year knowing that 11-12 was going to be marginal at best. This year's team more than likely won't make the tourney and next year without Curt or Pullen the chances go down considerably.  This season was supposed to tide me over for the coming 11-12 drought.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »

That's just it, the thing about Russell at the end of the game wasn't about proving a point, there was no point to prove then.  I think Frank & the staff panicked then, there was no reason to put Nick in at that defensive dead ball, it's indefensible.  I bet this was a talking point with the staff when they reviewed this game.  If he was doing his thing when he was proving a point it would haver been dumb but at least there would have been a purpose.  There was no reasoning that decision.

I'm also not happy that Frank hasn't shouldered the blame for his no leadership telling point.  He's the person giving up on players he recruited.  Frank is the only person to blame for there being 2 seniors on the roster.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
Interestingly, FTR has absolutely zero effect on our defensive efficiency.  And this 5 game stretch has featured some ridiculously bad offense.  Far worse than any stretch since Martin has been here.

from kenpom
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:36:08 PM by michigancat »

catzacker

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
Interestingly, FTR has absolutely zero effect on our defensive efficiency.  And this 5 game stretch has featured some ridiculously bad offense.  Far worse than any stretch since Martin has been here.

http://kenpom.com/gameplan.php?team=Kansas%20St.

new offense  :emawkid:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »
Interestingly, FTR has absolutely zero effect on our defensive efficiency.  And this 5 game stretch has featured some ridiculously bad offense.  Far worse than any stretch since Martin has been here.

http://kenpom.com/gameplan.php?team=Kansas%20St.

Yikes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
never mind.  I read that wrong.  what an idiot.

Still, interesting to see how much defensive rebounding affects our offense.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
No empirical data to back this up, but it seemed to me Frank shortened the bench in the 2nd half. Considering the garbage play we've been getting out of most guys on the team why not play a lot of guys in the 1st half, then go with a shorter bench in the 2nd? We were tied at half with Frank playing 12 guys in a place where road teams just do not win. Frank is not the problem here.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »
No empirical data to back this up, but it seemed to me Frank shortened the bench in the 2nd half. Considering the garbage play we've been getting out of most guys on the team why not play a lot of guys in the 1st half, then go with a shorter bench in the 2nd? We were tied at half with Frank playing 12 guys in a place where road teams just do not win. Frank is not the problem here.

No, you are right. 4 guys played at least 17 minutes in the 2nd half and Pullen played all 20.

http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/ksgame21.html (scroll down for per half boxes)