Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 183530 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #1000 on: October 06, 2020, 01:07:13 PM »
has anybody taken a charge in pickup basketball? i played today and i thought about it a few times. i don't know how to do it though. i think it would be cool

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 06, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
has anybody taken a charge in pickup basketball? i played today and i thought about it a few times. i don't know how to do it though. i think it would be cool

I've never taken one by choice and you can't call it with out being mocked mercilessly so just don't

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 06, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
you are such a dork

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 06, 2020, 01:53:10 PM »
slap the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 06, 2020, 01:58:48 PM »
do you guys not run around on nba 2k only trying to take charges? it's the best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: October 06, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »
we get it.. you like the feeling of a man on top of you.. no judgement here

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 08, 2020, 02:57:03 PM »
haha, that's a good one. charges, rip through and flops is a good list of being the most annoying player.

there's one guy who doesn't run back on defense very often, and every time you rebound he calls for the ball. he tricked me twice. eff that guy.

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 08, 2020, 08:21:02 PM »
we've been playing lunchtime bball for over 15 years 3 days a week. Two rules we have:
-no cherry picking, have to touch half count offense to defense (picked this up at the Frank Martin father/son camp playing with Beas  :gocho:)
-and no charges called. ever. some dummy undercutting someone for a charge breaks bones and ligaments

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 09, 2020, 01:10:10 AM »
charges probably hurt but the risk of injury seems low.

i've only ran into a charge once in my life, and it felt like i hit a wall of pillows and slowly fell down. so i feel like anyone who wants to take a charge should be able to. i think your game is soft. actually i think you all are soft

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 09, 2020, 07:13:17 AM »

have to touch half count offense to defense

I don't understand

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 09, 2020, 10:26:20 AM »
if your team is on offense and scores, turns the ball over, or doesn't get the rebound (offense to defense) you have to touch half court before getting back on offense. Keeps lazies from standing on the offense end all game. Of course if the defense to offense team turns it over in the back court this does not apply.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 09, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
if your team is on offense and scores, turns the ball over, or doesn't get the rebound (offense to defense) you have to touch half court before getting back on offense. Keeps lazies from standing on the offense end all game. Of course if the defense to offense team turns it over in the back court this does not apply.
so no fast break points? this sounds like something slow, old people would like.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 09, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
so no fast break points? this sounds like something slow, old people would like.

I don't think it kills fast breaks at all, it just means that if the other team has a fast break you have to touch half court. seems like a silly rule unless you want extra conditioning. I mean if I'm under the basket on offense and someone at the top of the key gets stripped for an uncontested layup I'm sure as crap not touching half court before playing offense.

back when I played pickup (still haven't picked up a ball since March) when we played 4 on 4 we had a rule that you had to dribble across half court. It makes a small difference but isn't a huge deal.

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 09, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »
completely the opposite

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »

I don't think it kills fast breaks at all, it just means that if the other team has a fast break you have to touch half court. seems like a silly rule unless you want extra conditioning. I mean if I'm under the basket on offense and someone at the top of the key gets stripped for an uncontested layup I'm sure as crap not touching half court before playing offense.

back when I played pickup (still haven't picked up a ball since March) when we played 4 on 4 we had a rule that you had to dribble across half court. It makes a small difference but isn't a huge deal.
having to dribble across half court seems like it would kill fast breaks or at least slow the game down.

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 09, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »
charges probably hurt but the risk of injury seems low.

i've only ran into a charge once in my life, and it felt like i hit a wall of pillows and slowly fell down. so i feel like anyone who wants to take a charge should be able to. i think your game is soft. actually i think you all are soft
it's not the charge that is the issue it is the dummy that thinks they are going to take a charge and undercut someone. no charge calls discourages that.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 09, 2020, 11:37:48 AM »

having to dribble across half court seems like it would kill fast breaks or at least slow the game down.
Not as much as you'd think

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 10, 2020, 12:32:50 AM »
Who the hell is playing pickup now?

I still have my high school's record for most charges taken in a season, 18, btw, but I have never taken one in a pickup game. When I was younger and someone tried to take one on me, I'd either try to punch on them or put my knee in their chest, either way, I'd gladly honor the call, usually didn't have to worry about it again.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 16, 2022, 10:37:10 AM »
Been playing in NYC through indoorhoops.com.  Basically this place rents New York public school gyms and charges people like $12 to play for an hour and a half. So far the runs have been pretty competitive and I've been terrible because I started CrossFit without shooting a year and a half ago.

Anyway today I learned a new rule: a guy called out "And 1" and missed it. I stopped playing and the guy I was guarding grabbed the ball and laid it in. I was like "No foul?" and was told that "And 1" is not a foul, "Foul" is a foul. I didn't get an update but I'll ask a guy I know who knows I'm a noob about it next time I see him.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 16, 2022, 10:45:14 AM »
so the "and 1" was just trash talk?

also does the website limit how many show up?  Is only enough for 2 teams?  more importantly have you played in any cool old gyms like we would see on the recruiting videos of Gauchos bitd?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: January 16, 2022, 10:50:30 AM »
so the "and 1" was just trash talk?

also does the website limit how many show up?  Is only enough for 2 teams?  more importantly have you played in any cool old gyms like we would see on the recruiting videos of Gauchos bitd?

I guess it's trash talk? I really don't understand the point of it's not a foul.

And yeah the site caps the runs at 15 and will cancel if there's not enough.  I've had a couple cancelled but not too many. Usually I'm happy with the run I get even if there's a team owning the court.

I've only played in two gyms and they sucked but are ok. I've heard there are good regulation courts that pop up but I haven't seen any.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 16, 2022, 12:05:43 PM »
and 1 is a foul, don’t let this idiot silverback you

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 16, 2022, 12:22:45 PM »
and 1 is a foul, don’t let this idiot silverback you

Everyone in the gym agreed (except me)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1023 on: January 16, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »
Gaslighting

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 16, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
if it’s not a foul then it’s and one what because he’s literally saying he got the bucket and the foul

i can tell you I would foul the living crap out of this downgrade to make it clear to everyone in the gym that he got fouled

i’m basically a pro basketball player, he wouldn’t get away with that crap when im on court

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.