Author Topic: Anyone here ever make their own beer?  (Read 6631 times)

Annyong

Anyone here ever make their own beer?
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
A buddy of mine and I are about to start. Luckily for me, he is very rich and has invested some serious crap to get this going.

Anyone here do this? Or have you tried? Any tips or trades to share?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here ever make their own beer?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »
i've never gotten into it, but then again, i don't drink a lot of beer.  seems like a lot of work.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Annyong

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
i've never gotten into it, but then again, i don't drink a lot of beer.  seems like a lot of work.

Yeah, I don't either. Wondering if I need to get serious or not. Could be fun. We have a good idea, will share when it gets started.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:24:37 PM »
Get ready to drink really gross beer while trying to convince yourself and your friends it isn't really gross, while spending approx $10 a pint for it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »
Get ready to drink really gross beer while trying to convince yourself and your friends it isn't really gross, while spending approx $10 a pint for it.

Great summary right here folks

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

i think this is pretty accurate.  have freinds who make their own beers and it's never as good as the pros make.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »

Yeah, I don't either. Wondering if I need to get serious or not. Could be fun. We have a good idea, will share when it gets started.

EMAW IPA?

Katpak Pilsner?

DOOM draught?

Frank's Pissed off Porter?

Merriwether's smart yet flat and crapty light?

Annyong

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:30:05 PM »

Damn, we had thought about this. I think he can nail it tho.

EMAW IPA?

Katpak Pilsner?

DOOM draught?

Unfortunately not K-State themed.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:41:41 PM »
I brew beer.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »

EMAW IPA?

Katpak Pilsner?

DOOM draught?

I know you think that.  That is the problem with home brewers.  They put time and effort into it but it will taste shitty.  It's like when your kid is a total fuckup See Louise's West). 

You aren't going to believe it - and no one will tell you to your face -  but your beer/kid sucks hard.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »
A KSU professor I work with has been known to brew some at work.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:55:35 PM »

EMAW IPA?

Katpak Pilsner?

DOOM draught?

I know you think that.  That is the problem with home brewers.  They put time and effort into it but it will taste shitty.  It's like when your kid is a total frackup See Louise's West). 

You aren't going to believe it - and no one will tell you to your face -  but your beer/kid sucks hard.
What method did you do? Extract/All Grain/Mr Beer?
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »

this
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 03:09:31 PM »
Don't listen to these guys. Try it out.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to do it. What you do spend can usually be sold for close to what you spent.

Just don't do Mr. Beer.

If you're really interested, I can get you pointed in the right direction.

EDIT: If you're a bud light type drinker, you probably shouldn't start brewing.

Annyong

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 03:12:19 PM »

EMAW IPA?

Katpak Pilsner?

DOOM draught?

I know you think that.  That is the problem with home brewers.  They put time and effort into it but it will taste shitty.  It's like when your kid is a total frackup See Louise's West). 

I've had shitty home beer a lot, and none have been decent. We have nothing else to do so we'll see how it goes. I'll save a 6'r for a few on here and then it can be told. I ain't worried.

Not expecting shelf beer taste immediately or shortly after. We got a year or two to kill just on perfecting this.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
i've never gotten into it, but then again, i don't drink a lot of beer.  seems like a lot of work.

A friend and I were also thinking about getting in to it.  Thing is, I won't get in to it uless I do it the right way with quality stuff (no beer kits).  Luckily, my current career puts me in good position for the correct resources (equipment and ingredients).  Sadly, because it costs a load I will probably not be following through.  I love beer, and have tried a-plenty.  One of my dream hobbies though.

2nd Dream:  Sports bar
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
I almost did it last summer. I still have a bag of wheat and a bag of barley and 2oz of hops. They sit under my sink now

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
I almost did it last summer. I still have a bag of wheat and a bag of barley and 2oz of hops. They sit under my sink now
Put your hops in the freezer.

kst8catfan

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
Home made wine is cheaper and easier....cranberry  :lick:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
more expensive too IIRC

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
cheaper and easier and more expensive.  :DONTFUCKINGKNOW:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
you can buy good beer.  make cider.  chingon posted instructions.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

kst8catfan

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
Home made wine is cheaper and easier....cranberry  :lick:
more expensive too IIRC

If you consider a can of juice concentrate from the store and a packet of yeast expensive...I guess

(GLASS gallon jug, cranberry juice concentrate, yeast, water, and a large balloon as an expansion valve...oh and 30-45 days to ferment.  It'll knock ya on yer boo-boo)

Wine can be made out of almost any vegetable or fruit...I haven't got up the nerve to try any onion wine, though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:41:56 PM by kst8catfan »

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »
Put your hops in the freezer.

I know I should've

more expensive too IIRC

If you consider a can of juice concentrate from the store and a packet of yeast expensive...I guess

(GLASS gallon jug, cranberry juice concentrate, yeast, water, and a large balloon as an expansion valve...oh and 30-45 days to ferment.  It'll knock ya on yer boo-boo)

Wine can be made out of almost any vegetable or fruit...I haven't got up the nerve to try any onion wine, though.

My friend did this once and only needed like a week to ferment. He had a pretty good night with that stuff

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
Home made wine is cheaper and easier....cranberry  :lick:
more expensive too IIRC

(GLASS gallon jug, cranberry juice concentrate, yeast, water, and a large balloon as an expansion valve...oh and 30-45 days to ferment.  It'll knock ya on yer boo-boo)

You're still in school, right?