Author Topic: Does WVU fire Huggins?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline MountaineerLegion

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Does WVU fire Huggins?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »

First, I said he was loyal to our state and university, not yours.

Second, not sure if you're serious or not.  Our face plant of a season is centered around the fact that we lost an entire class to attrition.  Losing an entire recruiting class would hurt most programs.

oscar missed the postseason a few times because he lost entire classes to attrition.  But, he was fired.  You're saying that this won't happen to Huggs at WVU?  Also, his sobriety isn't an issue?

No, it won't happen to him.  We have our head coach until he retires or drops dead of a heart attack.

Short of raping the pope he will not be fired.  He would REALLY have to embarrass the university to get fired.  I don't think he will let that happen...he cares too much for the university and state.  I might be naive but that's what I think.

So lets say WVU has 5 straight years like they are having this year, a complete dumpster fire of a year where they finish 6th or 7th and only beat the teams behind them.  You are saying you still wouldn't fire him?   :facepalm:

First I don't think your premise is sound.  I'm willing to place a wager with you if you like on this happening.  Second, no I don't think 5 bad years would get him fired.  If I had to come up with the worst case scenario for him, he would very quietly be asked if he still wanted to coach, or asked if he'd thought about retirement but that's as much pressure as they would put on him.

Would LHC Bill Snyder be fired if he had 5 bad seasons?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

Second, not sure if you're serious or not.  Our face plant of a season is centered around the fact that we lost an entire class to attrition.  Losing an entire recruiting class would hurt most programs.

oscar missed the postseason a few times because he lost entire classes to attrition.  But, he was fired.  You're saying that this won't happen to Huggs at WVU?  Also, his sobriety isn't an issue?

No, it won't happen to him.  We have our head coach until he retires or drops dead of a heart attack.

Short of raping the pope he will not be fired.  He would REALLY have to embarrass the university to get fired.  I don't think he will let that happen...he cares too much for the university and state.  I might be naive but that's what I think.

So lets say WVU has 5 straight years like they are having this year, a complete dumpster fire of a year where they finish 6th or 7th and only beat the teams behind them.  You are saying you still wouldn't fire him?   :facepalm:

First I don't think your premise is sound.  I'm willing to place a wager with you if you like on this happening.  Second, no I don't think 5 bad years would get him fired.  If I had to come up with the worst case scenario for him, he would very quietly be asked if he still wanted to coach, or asked if he'd thought about retirement but that's as much pressure as they would put on him.

He retired after 2 bad seasons because it hurt his soul.

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »

Would LHC LHC Bill Snyder be fired if he had 5 bad seasons?

He retired after 2 bad seasons because it hurt his soul.

And I stated earlier that Huggins won't do anything to embarrass the university of the state for the same reason...it would hurt him deeply.  As I said I don't buy the premise but the university wouldn't have to ask if Huggins thought he was a detriment to the university or state.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
MountaineerLegion, do you like what Huggin's has on his staff? He usually had young, up and comer types (Frank, Andy Kennedy, the little dude at Cincy now) but Hahn and Harrison don't fit that description.   I can't imagine Bob is recruiting as hard as he was in his younger days, seems like he needs some better recruiters as assistants.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »
ML, did we ever determine the extent of Huggins' drinking problem?  I dunno, but I've got to think that some of last night's beatdown had to do with a lack of coaching sobriety. 

Thoughts?

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »
MountaineerLegion, do you like what Huggin's has on his staff? He usually had young, up and comer types (Frank, Andy Kennedy, the little dude at Cincy now) but Hahn and Harrison don't fit that description.   I can't imagine Bob is recruiting as hard as he was in his younger days, seems like he needs some better recruiters as assistants.

Skipper, you've been reading our board haven't you?  We've got more than a few fans who think there needs to be some new blood, especially for recruiting.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
Now the drinking, ML.  I had a number of friends sitting court side that said Bob's clothes and breath absolutely reaked of alchohol last night.  Thoughts?

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »
this schtick about caring too much for the state and university sounds familiar

don't talk about that guy or there will be a shitstorm and saul will make you take the thread down

:dubious:

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »
Now the drinking, ML.  I had a number of friends sitting court side that said Bob's clothes and breath absolutely reaked of alchohol last night.  Thoughts?

Was it a Tuesday night or Thursday night that you raped a goat?  Silly, unanswerable question right? 

These kinds of drinking questions are beyond old.  The guy is a class act who has been known to imbibe.  I can't throw stones given I like to have a drink when I go out.

Last of my answers on this subject.

By the way, nice game by you all last night.  We weren't in the same league as you all.  It is funny though that your guys took the last minute off and allowed WVU to beat the spread...I'm sure that made a few gamblers in KS upset.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
Did anybody else notice how pissed off oscar was at the end of the game when the refs didn't put Will on the free throw line to cover the spread?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »

Was it a Tuesday night or Thursday night that you raped a goat?  Silly, unanswerable question right? 

These kinds of drinking questions are beyond old.  The guy is a class act who has been known to imbibe.  I can't throw stones given I like to have a drink when I go out.

By the way, nice game by you all last night.  We weren't in the same league as you all.  It is funny though that your guys took the last minute off and allowed WVU to beat the spread...I'm sure that made a few gamblers in KS upset.

Multiple DUIs =/= class act
:adios:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »

Back to your coach's alcoholism.  I too enjoy a beverage from time to time, but typically not before going to work.   :dunno:  I guess the team's just lucky he's not flying the charter back to Pittsburgh, amirite? 

Anyway, yes you are correct, WVU is not in the same league as us.  Welcome to the BigXII.     

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Does WVU fire Huggins?
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
And I stated earlier that Huggins won't do anything to embarrass the university of the state for the same reason...it would hurt him deeply.  As I said I don't buy the premise but the university wouldn't have to ask if Huggins thought he was a detriment to the university or state.
Technical foul for blasting profanity around hundreds of children should embarrass the university, but you're probably right, it doesn't.

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »

Back to your coach's alcoholism.  I too enjoy a beverage from time to time, but typically not before going to work.   :dunno:  I guess the team's just lucky he's not flying the charter back to Pittsburgh, amirite? 

Anyway, yes you are correct, WVU is not in the same league as us.  Welcome to the BigXII.     

Thanks.  We'll catch our stride soon enough.  You got us in both FB and BB...that won't always be the case.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »

Thanks.  We'll catch our stride soon enough.  You got us in both FB and BB...that won't always be the case.

It'll probably be the case next year, though. 

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »

It'll probably be the case next year, though.

As long as Huggins has the monkey of alcohol abuse sitting on his back, we should cruise.  I also don't see us losing in FB the next 2 years.  Playing in Morgantwon is much, much easier than I thought.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »

As long as Huggins has the monkey of alcohol abuse sitting on his back, we should cruise.  I also don't see us losing in FB the next 2 years.  Playing in Morgantwon is much, much easier than I thought.

I think it's common knowledge that Holgerson is an alcoholic as well. 

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »

I think it's common knowledge that Holgerson is an alcoholic as well.

I had heard that but hadn't been able to confirm it firsthand like Huggs.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »

It's harder in football, when the coaches are further away from the fans.  As opposed to basketball, where from 10 rows away, one can smell the stale, bitter odor of corn whiskey wafting off of Huggs. 

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »

It's harder in football, when the coaches are further away from the fans.  As opposed to basketball, where from 10 rows away, one can smell the stale, bitter odor of corn whiskey wafting off of Huggs.

Not to mention he spent a year in Manhattan and was always getting smashed and I saw him getting smashed.  though he looks like he is drinking a lot more now.

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »

That is being fired.  And I think Snyder would have the same thing happen to him if he had that many bad years.  While not a public firing, it is still a firing.  You still lose your job.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »

though he looks like he is drinking a lot more now.

can you blame him?   :dunno:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »
The train wreck that is Huggs' health (and career) is pretty glaring.  I really hope he's got the resources in a place like WV to beat this terrible disease.   

2006-2007: 

Clean, relaxed, happy

alert, focused

Then West Virginia happens....

drunk, swollen, fat

drunk, violent, beligerent

lost, glassy-eyed, silent cry for help (and fat and swollen)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
Granted, our seats are on the front row on the opposite side of the court but when Huggs was bellowing "F*CK YOU" at the referees, the stench of liquor on his breath was almost overpowering.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008