Author Topic: Feels good  (Read 11991 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Feels good
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »
I like when angel gets out there and gets up in someones face to steal the ball/get called for a foul/get blown by.  he is very aggresive. 

I like how incredulous he gets when a hand-check is called on him.

yes, this is very enjoyable

SD since you ignored my question in the OU thread I will ask again: I will be in Omaha on Saturday. Is the OU game going to be on FSN in Omaha? The Cox TV listings show a "College Basketball" game at 6 pm but does not list the teams.  :ohno:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »
sorry, missed it mocat.  I was busy fighting virulent bigots.  I will be in Manhattan so I haven't even checked.  All of our games so far have been on either FSN or WB (chanell 11 or 1011 on cox) so I would guess so but can't confirm :dunno:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »
I like when angel gets out there and gets up in someones face to steal the ball/get called for a foul/get blown by.  he is very aggresive. 

I like how incredulous he gets when a hand-check is called on him.

yes, this is very enjoyable
It would be much more enjoyable if it incorporated more anger. Incredulous is kind of Jamar's deal. We need someone to display more anger towards the ref at every obvious whistle they get.

Jamar is gone after this year. We will need Angel's incredulousness going forward.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2012, 08:19:57 AM »
Steals are more likely to lead to runouts, so I'm going to put more weight on those.  Plus, they're easier to look up.

True, but you also have to think about the nature of our steals. Often we think of steals as a defender stealing the ball from the ballhandler, and we don't do that a lot, nor does Frank emphasize that. If you think about what our defense does, one of the primary things we do well is making the balhandler uncomfortable and forcing him to make passes 25-30 feet away from the basket. Therefore when we do get steals, most often they are stolen passes (usually bad passes), just like the TOs we force are mostly bad passes, often just thrown out of bounds to no one. So even as a measure of perimeter defense, steals can be deceptive in Frank's defense because the steal usually comes from a defender off the ball that is defending a pass reciever and not usually just taking the ball from the ballhandler.

Also, this sounds like a great _FANalysis basketball breakdown; going back to look at good defensive games (like Tech) and breaking down the numerous TOs/steals and how we forced them.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »
Jesus Christ there is basically no difference between any of them. Any argument on "who's the best defender"  boils down to Martavious's muscles and Spradling's skin color. Just brutal.

horseshit Rusty, you're better than that or should be anyway.  People, me, think Will is defensively inferior because I can think of at least five games this season where Will absolutely could not keep his man in front of him.  Now in these cases would any of our other guards have done a decent job, likely not, although we looked much better defensively against UT when Irving guarded Kabongo and Spradling guarded Brown.  Will more than anything is victim of having to guard the other guys quicker guards, but that's life.  Let's also not forget that Will has turned into a hack machine as of late.  Fact of the matter things that people look at statistically to determine defensive prowess it is hard to argue that Will statistically is better than Irving, Rodriguez, Southwell, or McGruder.

That blanket statement you made is embarrassing.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »

Also, this sounds like a great _FANalysis basketball breakdown; going back to look at good defensive games (like Tech) and breaking down the numerous TOs/steals and how we forced them.

Would read.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »
Jesus Christ there is basically no difference between any of them. Any argument on "who's the best defender"  boils down to Martavious's muscles and Spradling's skin color. Just brutal.

horseshit Rusty, you're better than that or should be anyway.  People, me, think Will is defensively inferior because I can think of at least five games this season where Will absolutely could not keep his man in front of him. Now in these cases would any of our other guards have done a decent job, likely not, although we looked much better defensively against UT when Irving guarded Kabongo and Spradling guarded Brown.  Will more than anything is victim of having to guard the other guys quicker guards, but that's life.  Let's also not forget that Will has turned into a hack machine as of late.  Fact of the matter things that people look at statistically to determine defensive prowess it is hard to argue that Will statistically is better than Irving, Rodriguez, Southwell, or McGruder.

First of all, in the bold part you're basically admitting that there is virtually no difference in how well we defend with our backcourt players. Secondly, you're ignoring the fact that there is more to defense than who is guarding the ball. I also think that the UT game was pretty balanced aside from UT's big first half run. But I'm sure you have stats to prove that wrong, though.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »
southie and ar-t sometimes make the guy they're defending look bad.  the others never do that.  even so, i agree completely with michigan, that though they all have different strengths, they are all pretty equally mediocre.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
what if you counted a charge taken as a steal? hmmmm

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2012, 11:46:11 AM »
Jesus Christ there is basically no difference between any of them. Any argument on "who's the best defender"  boils down to Martavious's muscles and Spradling's skin color. Just brutal.

horseshit Rusty, you're better than that or should be anyway.  People, me, think Will is defensively inferior because I can think of at least five games this season where Will absolutely could not keep his man in front of him. Now in these cases would any of our other guards have done a decent job, likely not, although we looked much better defensively against UT when Irving guarded Kabongo and Spradling guarded Brown.  Will more than anything is victim of having to guard the other guys quicker guards, but that's life.  Let's also not forget that Will has turned into a hack machine as of late.  Fact of the matter things that people look at statistically to determine defensive prowess it is hard to argue that Will statistically is better than Irving, Rodriguez, Southwell, or McGruder.

First of all, in the bold part you're basically admitting that there is virtually no difference in how well we defend with our backcourt players. Secondly, you're ignoring the fact that there is more to defense than who is guarding the ball. I also think that the UT game was pretty balanced aside from UT's big first half run. But I'm sure you have stats to prove that wrong, though.

No there is a difference, a slight difference between the guards but I think there is one nonetheless.  I was simply pointing out that to dismiss people not listing Spradling as the best defensive guard because of race is insulting to all who feel like Spradling isn't our best defensive guard.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
Jesus Christ there is basically no difference between any of them. Any argument on "who's the best defender"  boils down to Martavious's muscles and Spradling's skin color. Just brutal.

horseshit Rusty, you're better than that or should be anyway.  People, me, think Will is defensively inferior because I can think of at least five games this season where Will absolutely could not keep his man in front of him. Now in these cases would any of our other guards have done a decent job, likely not, although we looked much better defensively against UT when Irving guarded Kabongo and Spradling guarded Brown.  Will more than anything is victim of having to guard the other guys quicker guards, but that's life.  Let's also not forget that Will has turned into a hack machine as of late.  Fact of the matter things that people look at statistically to determine defensive prowess it is hard to argue that Will statistically is better than Irving, Rodriguez, Southwell, or McGruder.

No there is a difference, a slight difference between the guards but I think there is one nonetheless.  I was simply pointing out that to dismiss people not listing Spradling as the best defensive guard because of race is insulting to all who feel like Spradling isn't our best defensive guard.

I have no problem with people saying Spradling isn't the best defensive guard. I really don't have a problem with someone saying he is worse than Irving, Angel, Southie, and Rodney, because they are all about the same like I said. But I would say most people he say he is a poor defender (or significantly worse than the others) base it on a combination of his skin color and a misunderstanding of what Frank asks his on-ball defenders to do.

southie and ar-t sometimes make the guy they're defending look bad.  the others never do that.  even so, i agree completely with michigan, that though they all have different strengths, they are all pretty equally mediocre.

Maybe they'd be mediocre in one-on-one, but as a pieces in the total unit they are all pretty good IMO.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
I was simply pointing out that to dismiss people not listing Spradling as the best defensive guard because of race is insulting to all who feel like Spradling isn't our best defensive guard.

there are no mediocre white players in american basketball.  they all either suck and should get off the court or are mvps.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »
I was simply pointing out that to dismiss people not listing Spradling as the best defensive guard because of race is insulting to all who feel like Spradling isn't our best defensive guard.

there are no mediocre white players in american basketball.  they all either suck and should get off the court or are mvps.

The Big 10 conference is laughing its ass off at this.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
The Big 10 conference is laughing its ass off at this.

it works better in leagues where there's only 2 or 3 on the court at a time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »
Pledger went 5-5 and had an assist while Will was guarding him.  Frank switched Will off.  Frank is underrating Will because he's white.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
Irving sucks.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »
Pledger went 5-5 and had an assist while Will was guarding him.  Frank switched Will off.  Frank is underrating Will because he's white.

spradling did the best job of any of the guards on pledger.  and he was awful.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »

No one did the best job, they all sucked

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2012, 01:52:19 AM »

Will was rough ridin' awful on Plegder.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »
no shock irving back to normal against regular competition.  5 turnovers  :flush: