Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 176759 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #350 on: November 06, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
I would lean to the smaller guy too.  Your satisfaction has more direct effect on his biz than the bigger guy.  Still would ask how many houses he has lined up to build and try to talk to his customers to see if he was on time, what about their new house disappoints them or frustrates them, how close to budget he was able to stay, etc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 06, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
I would lean to the smaller guy too.  Your satisfaction has more direct effect on his biz than the bigger guy.  Still would ask how many houses he has lined up to build

they are finishing one now (should be done in december) and are then are going to dig 3 more before permafrost kicks in (plus ours if we go with them).

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 06, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
is there a medium guy available in the omaha area? 

not right now, but a year from now we'll get a post about how sd ended up going with him

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 06, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
I would lean to the smaller guy too.  Your satisfaction has more direct effect on his biz than the bigger guy.  Still would ask how many houses he has lined up to build and try to talk to his customers to see if he was on time, what about their new house disappoints them or frustrates them, how close to budget he was able to stay, etc.

and definitely talk to people who built mopre than 1 year ago to see how he handled warranty issues, both within the 1yr and beyond.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 06, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
Get references, use those to decide

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 06, 2013, 11:14:31 AM »
Builders likely use same subs, big guy gets them first cause he will give them more work in the future.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 06, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
Builders likely use same subs, big guy gets them first cause he will give them more work in the future.

commercial this is true, my expierience in residential looking in from the outside is the opposite.   Subs often work exclusive for one builder, as he either gives them all his work or they are afraid of losing his work if the go to others.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
I assume by builder you mean a general contractor? 

I would first start out by asking what aspects he will directly be handling in the build if anything at all. I would then ask about his subcontractors and how long he has had relationships with them.  If one of them is working through reputable companies in the area versus one guy with a crew of day labor, that should tell you which crew to do with.  It seems to me most GC sub out a lot of work.  So its best to know who is actually doing the work for you in your home. 

One random thought, make sure you are using time tested products and subs.  My parents have very noisy plumbing because the sub used an odd mounting bracket for the pipes instead of tried and true methods.  Another though, stay away from first gen tech, especially if its in walls.  For instance when PEX first came out there were a lot of issues with pinhole leaks and bad fittings. 

Has it been suggested to wire everything and anything you might need with network cable and coax?  You might check with your electrical sub, but this could be something you could do and it would save a crap load.  But check with the contractor because i've heard of it being a code issue or instances of d-bag subs who cuts lines because they didn't install them.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
I assume by builder you mean a general contractor? 

I would first start out by asking what aspects he will directly be handling in the build if anything at all. I would then ask about his subcontractors and how long he has had relationships with them.  If one of them is working through reputable companies in the area versus one guy with a crew of day labor, that should tell you which crew to do with.  It seems to me most GC sub out a lot of work.  So its best to know who is actually doing the work for you in your home. 

One random thought, make sure you are using time tested products and subs.  My parents have very noisy plumbing because the sub used an odd mounting bracket for the pipes instead of tried and true methods.  Another though, stay away from first gen tech, especially if its in walls.  For instance when PEX first came out there were a lot of issues with pinhole leaks and bad fittings. 

Has it been suggested to wire everything and anything you might need with network cable and coax?  You might check with your electrical sub, but this could be something you could do and it would save a crap load.  But check with the contractor because i've heard of it being a code issue or instances of d-bag subs who cuts lines because they didn't install them.

I don't know what the difference between a builder and a contractor is I guess. the ones we are down to call themselves "katpak custom home builders", "katpak jones custom homes", etc. so I carry their vernacular over. I'm not doing crap on my own for this thing. screwing in a lightbulb is not something I plan on saving money by doing. have you seen some of my home improvement/project threads? rough ridin' disastors all of them.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 06, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
So you work through a builder, but the builder will hire a subcontractor to do major sections of the home ie: electrical, plumbing, framing, drywall.
http://www.buildahouseyourself.com/subcontractors-defined

So the point of my suggestion also follows that if both builders use "AAA Omaha Electrical" it can be another point of comparison.  If both builders are using the same guys to build stuff and one is higher than the other, ask why.  You'd want to make sure all your subs know what they are doing.  Hiring a bunch of day labor from home depot will keep costs down, but your work will be in jeopardy and god forbid anything happens on site.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 06, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
 :thumbs:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »
small guy probably cares more about quality than big guy, but might possibly be slower as well.  experience doesn't mean much.  after you've built a few houses, it's all pretty much the same after that.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 06, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »
steve, you came with a question and wanted answers, not the rough ridin' pros and cons of each builder. i mean, we all know the difference between big business and small business.

go with the small guy because its your house. quality and working with someone (i assume your wife will really value this part) closely is important.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
we picked the smaller one  :D waiting to see if they accept our terms  :ohno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 06, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
Tell them the bigger guy accepted the but you would rather work with him.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 06, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
you should've waited for small business weekend and put it on your Amex sd

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 06, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
you should've waited for small business weekend and put it on your Amex sd

wanted to charge a car, they wouldn't let me

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 06, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
Who's they? Card or dealership? I have family that do this every time they buy a car.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 06, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
Pay in cash, under the table

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 07, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
Who's they? Card or dealership? I have family that do this every time they buy a car.

car.  they limited it to $5K.  they're smart not to, card expenses eat into their profits, which aren't that much to begin with when dealing with a  smart buyer.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 07, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
sd, fireplace or no fireplace? i have one but never used it until last night and had to look up the owners manual online to figure it out. it worked really well though and was kind of cool/fun. i would consider something like this if you are having one put in.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/7100-Wood-Fireplace.aspx

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 07, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
ok, man. nice talk. i mean do the fireplace or don't do the fireplace. either way, after this and the no response to my suggestion of being able to ride a bike on top, i'm pretty much finished with this whole thread anyway and doubt i'll ever check back in. good luck with things.  :flush:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 07, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »
we are doing a gas fireplace but if it was up to me we would do no fireplace at all. mrs. dave likes them for some reason. I'd rather just fire up the furnace or throw some wood on a pile out back and sit around it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
we are doing a gas fireplace but if it was up to me we would do no fireplace at all. mrs. dave likes them for some reason. I'd rather just fire up the furnace or throw some wood on a pile out back and sit around it.

that's cool. what about a swimming pool though? you guys should probably get one and then during cws, mrs sd could go somewhere else like to her sisters or something and then you could host katpak cws pool conventions/parties.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 07, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »

that's cool. what about a swimming pool though? you guys should probably get one and then during cws, mrs sd could go somewhere else like to her sisters or something and then you could host katpak cws pool conventions/parties.

neighborhood pool about 50 yards away  :gocho: