Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 72710 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #475 on: June 01, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »
Wait - is there a bill to sign? Last I heard, the Chamber GOP and Conservative GOP can't agree on which taxes to increase, and nobody (at least in leadership) has the guts to bring spending cuts to the floor for a vote.

I wonder if there is any precedent for this sort of budget impasse when one party so completely dominates the Legislature and Executive? It would actually be pretty amusing but for, you know, the liklihood of higher taxes.

It seems like tax hikes are inevitable. The only debate is over who gets to take on the burden. Poor people seemed like the likely candidate, but they couldn't pass the sin tax, so who really knows where the revenue will come from.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 01, 2015, 04:18:18 PM »
Wait - is there a bill to sign? Last I heard, the Chamber GOP and Conservative GOP can't agree on which taxes to increase, and nobody (at least in leadership) has the guts to bring spending cuts to the floor for a vote.

I wonder if there is any precedent for this sort of budget impasse when one party so completely dominates the Legislature and Executive? It would actually be pretty amusing but for, you know, the liklihood of higher taxes.

It seems like tax hikes are inevitable. The only debate is over who gets to take on the burden. Poor people seemed like the likely candidate, but they couldn't pass the sin tax, so who really knows where the revenue will come from.

I like the regressive nature of a sales tax, but it still means I end up paying more in taxes, too. So that's out. About the only tax I support is booze and cigarettes, but that's not going to raise $400 million. We should just cut our spending by 6% across the board. Problem solved. (Well, at least until the Supreme Court says we can't cut school spending, at which point it's finally time for the legislature to tell the Court "thanks for your advice - now eff off and leave the power of the purse to us, where it belongs").
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 01, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »

I like the regressive nature of a sales tax, but it still means I end up paying more in taxes, too. So that's out. About the only tax I support is booze and cigarettes, but that's not going to raise $400 million. We should just cut our spending by 6% across the board. Problem solved. (Well, at least until the Supreme Court says we can't cut school spending, at which point it's finally time for the legislature to tell the Court "thanks for your advice - now eff off and leave the power of the purse to us, where it belongs").

They should drop the sales tax to 0 on food and jack it up on everything else. Then I could just not buy anything in Kansas and get a huge tax break. :billdance:

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 01, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »
Hey, so now that ks sold 1 billion in bonds, to get the teachers pension funding ratio up to 66% from 60% it's totally viable now long term, right?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 01, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »
Hey, so now that ks sold 1 billion in bonds, to get the teachers pension funding ratio up to 66% from 60% it's totally viable now long term, right?

Does that make it more or less solvent than Social Security of Medicaid? I'm guessing "more." At least until we cut the pensions. We should cut those. Then we can spend more education dollars on education, amiright?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
We should legalize sports gambling.  Sam wants to bring jobs, that would make crap explode.  Fast.

Also, legalize weed and prostitution and become the largest tourist state in the union.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 01, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
We should legalize sports gambling.  Sam wants to bring jobs, that would make crap explode.  Fast.

Also, legalize weed and prostitution and become the largest tourist state in the union.

blow, too

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 01, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
Sure.  Why not.  Legalize, regulate, tax, profit.   

Seems like a no brainer. 

Cons need to get out of the way and let this state prosper.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 01, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
They love job killing regulations more than having a rich ass state
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 01, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
Just think of all of the Colorado residents that would come and support our businesses if we had legalized blow.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 01, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
swing and another miss on those June tax revenues.  Missing the mark by 20 million.  Good thing Brownback's responsible, run it like a household philosophy, asked for a 840 home equity loan. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 01, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Yep, and the courts mushed his fat face and now his budget woes just grew by approx $50mil per yr. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 02, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »
Just think of all of the Colorado residents that would come and support our businesses if we had legalized blow.

Just think of all the work I'd get done!

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 02, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
did we ever figure out what was wrong with the school funding formula?

like...not the result being less (or more) than it ought be.  but the formula itself? whats wrong (or correct) about it?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 02, 2015, 03:28:02 PM »
did we ever figure out what was wrong with the school funding formula?

like...not the result being less (or more) than it ought be.  but the formula itself? whats wrong (or correct) about it?

Same as the last couple years.  The court didn't think it was an adequate amt per kid.  this ruling also said that it was unconstitutional to change the funding from $/kid to block grants.  They said basing it on something other than $/kid would mean the state wouldn't be providing an equal ed to all students. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
This is a recommendation of the ks education efficiency study that was commissioned by the ks legislature and contracted to an outside consultant.

There were actually some good recommendos, but this.  My God, this.

https://twitter.com/BryanLowry3/status/686957002270978052

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 13, 2016, 06:13:42 PM »
All those kids are just sucking the teet dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #494 on: January 20, 2016, 06:59:35 AM »
http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article54370945.html
Is that what is normally considered a fact check? Not defending Sam, but "true, but let's try to kind of say he is full of crap" is not "true" or "false" which I think of when I think of a fact check.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 20, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »
Not really worth it's own thread, so here's good enough.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/01/20/teacher-sickouts-expected-to-close-many-detroit-schools-wednesday/

DETROIT (WWJ) – Mass teacher sickouts have prompted nearly all of Detroit Public Schools to close on the day President Barack Obama is set to visit the city.

More than 85 schools across the city are closed Wednesday because of excessive teacher absences — the largest in a string of recent sickouts meant to call attention to high class sizes, dilapidated buildings and other problems in Michigan’s largest school district. [COMPLETE LIST HERE]

DPS officials say they have “no other option but to close schools when teachers do not report for work.” Michelle Zdrodowski, DPS spokesperson, said staff members at the schools which have closed must still report for work Wednesday or take a personal leave day. Otherwise, staff could face disciplinary action as most of the district’s 46,000 students sit at home.

Zdrodowski said the call-offs have left just nine school buildings open across the district.

It's fascinating to me that teachers think this sort of behavior is ok - that you can just stage a walk out, shut down your business, and not face any repercussions.

I've never worked in a job where I would ever think I could do this without getting fired.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »
Unionize, KSU.  The world will be your oyster. 

It should be noted that not all states have unionized public employees.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 20, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
Maybe if ksuw unionizes he would get some decent health insurance that he's always bitching about

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 20, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »
Maybe if ksuw unionizes he would get some decent health insurance that he's always bitching about

Did I bitch about my insurance? My insurance is great. Actually, my wife and separately insure so we get HSA contributions from both our employers. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
I'm glad you got it worked out,I know obamacare had really knocked you for a loop for a bit.