Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 369558 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Someone should start a thread where the book readers complain about the TV show.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Maybe it was always this shitty and I liked it more because I'd read the books.

that's an interesting conceit, but i don't think it explains everything.  the books are generally well written, rich in detail, good pace, good development, etc.  but the truly unique thing he did was devote an enormous amount of time developing characters that he killed off (and maimed) early in the books.  this felt shocking to readers since basically no one does this.  it gives the impression that any character is at risk (that isn't sustainable in later books, because the important characters aren't really at risk, martin just encouraged readers to misidentify who the important characters were at first, but as you get later and later in the story, the readers will eventually focus on the "right" characters).  the earlier seasons of the show followed this formula, and at least to nonreaders, it had the same effect.

the later seasons (and possibly forthcoming books) have crap all over this.  they now follow the formulaic tv/movie standard where important characters face seemingly impossible risks and somehow miraculously emerge unscathed.  minor characters are introduced for the sole purpose of having them killed to reveal the emotional complexity of the important characters (hello tedious group of religious zealots the hound befriended and then couldn't hear being massacred while he chopped wood for countless hours a few hundred meters uphill).  characters make stupid or out-of-character decisions whenever convenient to the plot.  logical inconsistencies abound.

i'm still attached to both the characters and the plot, so i keep watching.  but i can recognize that the show i'm now watching is horribly written drivel.

pretty much the best post since my last one.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
I expect the remaining books will follow suit. You really think GRRM is not resurrecting Jon Snow? Please.

i expect he will be resurrected in the books, but not without significant cost and he will not be unchanged/undamaged by the event.  and the process will not be something anyone could do in their mother's basement but no one else bothers with because living isn't that big of a deal for non jon snows.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Well he did turn emo on the show so I wouldn't say he is unchanged. Also stupid man bun. :Yuck:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Well he did turn emo on the show so I wouldn't say he is unchanged. Also stupid man bun. :Yuck:

you'd be emo, too, if you died. Has he mentioned that he's died?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Someone should start a thread where the book readers complain about the TV show.
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=25407.msg1563569#msg1563569

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If there is one thing this blog needs, it is more GoT threads.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
No, I wish. It's Sarah's baby daddy (and he flat out replaces an actor in the same part and is a pretty terrible casting).

just got there :surprised:

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
also, i can't help but yell "ZOOOOOOEEEEEYYYYY" whenever dornish prince dude's lady is on screen

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Sand momma?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
yeah i think/have gathered

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Arya gave the bad actress a face to leave town to flush the waif.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
Does she find syrio in braavos now? I can't think of anyone there to help her

Gendry is also a popular theory here.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'll be honest, I think this has been the worst season of GoT.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'll be honest, I've enjoyed the hell out of this season.

Offline Art Vandelay

• Fan
  • this guy...this guy fucks
    • View Profile

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I've thought it has been damn good. GRRM did a lot of stupid crap in those later books so it's nice the showrunners can start heading down their own path on how they want it to end.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Does she find syrio in braavos now? I can't think of anyone there to help her

Gendry is also a popular theory here.

Good grief
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I've thought it has been damn good. GRRM did a lot of stupid crap in those later books so it's nice the showrunners can start heading down their own path on how they want it to end.

Yes. For the most part the show has made good decisions on when and how to depart from the books. It'll be a little weird of the shows have a completely different ending than whenever book 7 is finished, but I assume GRRM had shared the broad strokes of what he intends to happen.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I really, really have liked the bran stuff and wish there would've been more time spent there rather than in bravos.  I also wish we would've spent more time in the cave before the zombie chase scene, but the Hodor and Benjen stark parts were amazing.  I literally stood up and fist pumped after that episode.  I don't care much about arya or the hound so I really didn't like episode 7.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I really, really have liked the bran stuff and wish there would've been more time spent there rather than in bravos.  I also wish we would've spent more time in the cave before the zombie chase scene, but the Hodor and Benjen stark parts were amazing.  I literally stood up and fist pumped after that episode.  I don't care much about arya or the hound so I really didn't like episode 7.

Weird that people can like the exact opposite things on GoT.  The most exciting moment of the season for me so far was seeing the Hound alive again.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So when Arya gets back to Westeros, what's her first stop? I'm thinking Walder Frey.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So when Arya gets back to Westeros, what's her first stop? I'm thinking Walder Frey.

That would be enjoyable. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
so let's review what's happened this season:

jon's not dead
dany found her dragon
bran can shift time
sam stole a sword
arya left the assassin
hound's not dead
tommen believes in the seven gods

:zzz:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile

jon's not dead
dany found her dragon
bran can shift time
sam stole a sword
arya left the assassin
hound's not dead
tommen believes in the seven gods

:zzz:

Ramsay shanked his dad
Hodor held the door
A new Greyjoy arrived out of nowhere
Two pups died
Farting

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

jon's not dead was resurrected so that he can go fight Ramsey Bolton, a terrible human being
dany found her dragon after she convinced the entire Dothraki nation to follow her by being impervious to fire
bran can shift time, learned the origins of the single biggest threat to all of Westeros, and learned that his uncle is not dead as previously believed but is actually the single best person to help him fight the biggest threat to Westeros
sam stole a sword which is one of the few weapons left that can kill the single biggest threat to all of Westeros
arya left the learned assassin skills so that she can complete her mission of killing all those on her kill list
hound's not dead and is probably on his way to fight his resurrected brother
tommen believes in the seven gods which is really rough ridin' up Cersei's plans

:excited:

FIFY