Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 370567 times)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
As many posters have already stated, the show sucks, compared to the book series, at conveying the characters' complex motivations. In the books, we have the benefit of internal monologues from first person characters. We can tell what they are thinking.

Thankfully, in the books it's far more clear how Arya feels when she parts ways from The Hound, and it is a long the lines of what Belvis is suggesting. She does look up to him in many aspects, and it is clearly communicated through her behavior and her internal monologue. The show glosses over many of the developments between the two that make this obvious. The most important being her prayer, which Spracne and I have mentioned. Her prayer is quite central to her development as a character throughout the books. The last time she says it on screen The Hound is still included, and she states his name loud enough for him to hear.

Benja is correct in assuming that I think the show does a poor job of portraying the emotionally charged scenes. I don't think there was enough done to establish the relationship between the two, and I don't think it is the fault of either Rory or Maisie. I've been disappointed in how a lot of things have been handled by D&D this season, but it was still the best show on television and the best season in this series so far. I look forward to the next one.

It seems that I've created a quite a mess, and I think that we're on the brink of a flame war over a television show/ book series. So I thought I would go ahead a put that out there.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yeah, i love her

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cersei is a great character. Far more redeeming than most give her credit for, but she's very narrow-minded. I get the feeling that many mothers placed in her situation would act the same way (this is ignoring the incest).

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Just to throw gasoline on the fire here for everyone: so far the HBO show is way better than the books at just about everything.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just to throw gasoline on the fire here for everyone: so far the HBO show is way better than the books at just about everything.

:lol:

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
You simpletons are all wrong about Arya's motivations.  She wants revenge on the hound, but she wants to be the one who bests them.   The hound getting too injured to continue does not satisfy her need for revenge, therefore she gives him a chance (not a great one) but if he dies, so be it.  If he survives, in her mind it is only 'til she is able to overcome him and kill him on her terms.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
good grief everybody is partying in the royals thread and you guys are debating what some fat loser was thinking about when he wrote a sixty thousand page fantasy book series using an MS rough ridin' DOS word rough ridin' processor  :lol:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
good grief everybody is partying in the royals thread and you guys are debating what some fat loser was thinking about when he wrote a sixty thousand page fantasy book series using an MS rough ridin' DOS word rough ridin' processor  :lol:

actually i was doing both.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I guess Roose did make him his heir in an episode this season, so he might be going by Ramsay Bolton now. I can't remember and don't care.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

actually i was doing both.

x2

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If it ain't BoozeCats, it ain't crap.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

http://hbowatch.com/george-r-r-martin-types-with-one-finger/

:lol:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

absolutely
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

catzacker

the pretentious game of thrones book readers are just about the worst humans on earth.  yes, we get it, you're a better class of person because you read; i'm sure your well rounded, well informed opinion means a lot and you look really smart at dinner parties or to some of the summer interns at your work.  And I'm sorry I (along with all of my other Neanderthal friends) got to sit in front of my wonderful TV and get the same enjoyment out of the story as you did suffering through 5K pages.  the show is fantastic, and if this was the 19th century and we still lived by candlelight and I actually read the book, i'd probably think the book was fantastic too.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
the pretentious game of thrones book readers are just about the worst humans on earth.  yes, we get it, you're a better class of person because you read; i'm sure your well rounded, well informed opinion means a lot and you look really smart at dinner parties or to some of the summer interns at your work.  And I'm sorry I (along with all of my other Neanderthal friends) got to sit in front of my wonderful TV and get the same enjoyment out of the story as you did suffering through 5K pages.  the show is fantastic, and if this was the 19th century and we still lived by candlelight and I actually read the book, i'd probably think the book was fantastic too.

Damn, you pegged me. I used to only read non-fiction until I realized that reading fantasy books was the key to social and professional mobility.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

not your best work, dude.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Zacker has never pretended to be #1cat

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Damn, you pegged me. I used to only read non-fiction until I realized that reading fantasy books was the key to social and professional mobility.
I listened to all the novels on audiobook, while working my normal dayjob.  Its like BBSing except casual observation couldn't suggest it.  So, am i better than both classes aforementioned?  Probably, thank you for noticing.  I did read all the short stories, but LOL if you can't find time to read a 100 page book.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
zacker nailed it

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
zacker nailed it

meh, he nailed it better in the book

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
but in the book it took 12 pages to say the same thing that he said in a few sentences in this thread

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Oh, so you can read? So what, u think ur better'n me???

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :D