Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1342020 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #6600 on: December 10, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
it's hard to become a fan of a team when the best players on the team strive to leave the team and go elsewhere.  for the casual fan, it makes attaching yourself to the team very difficult and what you're left with is fans of the game, not the team.  there's nothing MLS can do to prevent players from wanting to go to the bigger stages, i'm just highlighting a problem that they have when trying to grow the league.

you know next spring when the season kicks off, the majority of kansas city who jumped on the bandwagon sometime in the past couple months will be wondering wtf happened to "their" team.

This evolved into an interesting conversation that I wish I had the ability to participate in as it happened so all my thoughts will go here.

Part of this issue is that people think MLS has to be or even approach the success of the Big 4 in the short term to be viewed as a successful league and that is a basic fallacy that needs to be addressed before this conversation can be rationally had. The NBA is the youngest of those leagues and that league is 67 years old, even the NHL is nearly 100. Even looking at these established leagues in the scope of the television age, the MLS has progressed incredibly fast, the NBA had a contract that included tape delayed games in the 80's. The NHL is still struggling with a national media deal in America, their Canadian media deal is 3X that of their American deal.

The biggest mistake that the league can make, and I don't think they will, is to feel like they have to grow or make business decisions with the big 4 in mind. Keitzman interviewed Robb last week and he essentially asked him if the MLS would ever be able to offer a big money, long-term contract to a domestic player in his prime to keep him from going to Europe. His answer was a flat no, which was great to hear. Then dumbass Kietz proceeds to say that MLS will surpass the NHL and the NBA in the American sports pecking order, never mind the fact that the NBA is making more money, attracting bigger crowds, and getting more TV money than ever. So to 'clams point, no I don't think that player movement is an issue for four reasons.

-Soccer, all around the world, is built off of local/regional passion. Fans of clubs everywhere identify with their neighborhood club, not the players. The clubs that are now iconic globally, and there are less than 10 of them, didn't become that way by having the same players in the uniforms year in and year out, which leads me to point two.

-Even in Europe the players move around a lot. Players have freedom of movement a lot more than they do in major American sports. Drafts don't happen and long term contracts are rare and players seeing the end of these contracts is even more rare. The most iconic player in the sport the last 25 years played, primarily, for 4 clubs in 4 countries in his career. He isn't thought of lesser because of this fact.

-Losing players to Europe isn't some sort of black mark in the world of soccer. Elite players within European leagues move amongst other European leagues. We can become the number 1 league in world and we'll still lose players to other leagues around the world. American basketball players are bypassing sitting on the bench in the NBA to play in Spain because the money is right. If/When Eurobasket continues to grow, they are going to start attracting better players from the NBA too. The more established MLS becomes, the more comfortable European players will be coming over here. Becoming a soccer icon here is unique because you will be a star here and everywhere else. David Beckham made stupid money playing in Los Angeles that opportunity will present itself more and more to guys who fit the unique mold.

-Finally, players in all sports leave all of the time, I think this whole issue is one that seems like an issue because we're looking for issues where they may or may not exist. I am a Red Sox fan and we just lost at least 1/3 of the starting 9 after winning a world series. After winning the world series in '04 we lost 5 of the starting 9 and the most popular pitcher in the history of the franchise. It is 2013, there are no illusions about players staying with teams for extended periods of time. Not only do players have the ability to move but it is smart for the teams to not just sit on the status quo and make moves to continue to make the teams relevant. People who buy tickets, cheer for the team, they cheer for winning. People who cheer for players are more fans of the league that the teams.

Sorry so long guys

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: December 10, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
Agreed, MIR. Winning is the most important thing to fans of teams, not players. When a player you love leaves, you move on. You don't stop cheering for the team.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: December 10, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
SportingStyle ?@SportingStyle 3m
So in case you are wondering, SportingKC jerseys will feature a gold star above the silver star for 2014. These will be available in March.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
Interesting.....Very Interesting....
[

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: December 10, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
Members Club shop apparently has tons of MLS Cup Champs gear.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: December 10, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »
why is the 2nd star gold and the 1st star silver?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: December 10, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
why is the 2nd star gold and the 1st star silver?

Idk

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
Gold signifies current cup holder. It becomes silver the following year to represent past cup victories.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: sunny_cat's MLS Thread (Non-SKC)
« Reply #6608 on: December 10, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
Yeah, posted the Re-Entry draft list in the SKC thread

looks like you just made an amazeballs argument for 1 thread

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: sunny_cat's MLS Thread (Non-SKC)
« Reply #6609 on: December 10, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »
Yeah, posted the Re-Entry draft list in the SKC thread

looks like you just made an amazeballs argument for 1 thread

:frown:

Change would have to start at some point.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: December 10, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
Gold signifies current cup holder. It becomes silver the following year to represent past cup victories.

T-Y

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: December 10, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
On transfer rumors:

Quote from: Dom Dwyer
I'm just waiting to hear more. I've had interest from a few teams. Right now I'm just enjoying it, listening to stuff. It should be a fun offseason.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
mods delete this thread
« Reply #6612 on: December 10, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
sunny time to let it die, bud.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: mods delete this thread
« Reply #6613 on: December 10, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
sunny time to let it die, bud.

I know, I know.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: December 10, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »

Well that is hawt

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: December 10, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
offseason is always fun. Get to see if any USMNT guys go out on loan. Crazy rumors surrounding possible DPs. Shuffling around of current MLS talent. Expansion rumors this year.  MLS offseason is just great.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Champions League 13-14
« Reply #6616 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: December 10, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
I don't think we'll see Landon or Zusi go out on loan. Only one I see happening is Dempsey.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: December 10, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »
well United won too :P

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: December 10, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »

-Soccer, all around the world, is built off of local/regional passion. Fans of clubs everywhere identify with their neighborhood club, not the players. The clubs that are now iconic globally, and there are less than 10 of them, didn't become that way by having the same players in the uniforms year in and year out, which leads me to point two.

As someone who lives in Kansas, how does one become fans of certain European teams? Just a random connection?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: December 10, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »

As someone who lives in Kansas, how does one become fans of certain European teams? Just a random connection?

I just kinda picked one. I don't have an emotional connection with Man City. I just follow them and root for them. I don't love them like I love SKC. I don't understand people who live in KC and are only fans of an English team and hate MLS. We love MLS because it's our league.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »

I think it varies for everyone. When I first started watching soccer Chelsea and Jose 1.0 was on TV a bunch and I like their kit so I just decided to hop on the bandwagon.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
city of manchester doing work

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »
City up 3-2 at Bayern. 74'

:horrorsurprise:

One more goal and we win the group

'Grats on the meaningless win and the second place finish in the group

:bayern:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: December 10, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
whoa, i know we were wondering who the bayern fan was a week or two ago and nfbeard piped up - looks like we had TWO all along :surprised: