Author Topic: Schlitterbahn  (Read 68070 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Schlitterbahn
« Reply #400 on: March 27, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »
IDK, but locking  them away with real murders is not the answer. Their lives are already mumped as it is.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 27, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »
IDK, but locking  them away with real murders is not the answer. Their lives are already mumped as it is.
You said forcing them into bankruptcy like it was a bad thing.... you didn't post anything about jail.

So no monetary penalty...no jail time....just wondering what you were thinking they should do with them.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 27, 2018, 03:14:42 PM »
You said forcing them into bankruptcy like it was a bad thing.... you didn't post anything about jail.

So no monetary penalty...no jail time....just wondering what you were thinking they should do with them.

Depends on whether they committed a crime

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 27, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
seems like a competent attorney could really hold the state to task for allowing these guys to do what they did, which seems to be within the state’s rules

Who is “the state”?  I’m hoping you mean the governor that was in office at the time it was approved.

The father of the kid was one of the people who allowed these guys to do what they did, so I don't expect him to press charges against the state.
that guy isn’t the only possible plaintiff
hell I could sue them, they did a shitty job protecting the people of kansas and the water park people worked inside the state’s unsafe margins

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 27, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
Probs can't sue the state here. But given the state's contributory negligence, I feel that the criminal sanctions are a bit heavy handed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 27, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
Good reminder that the systems we assume are in place to protect us might not exist.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »
Probs can't sue the state here. But given the state's contributory negligence, I feel that the criminal sanctions are a bit heavy handed.

What do you expect the state to do?   They are there to verify things are in working order that exist, so while they may have caught and corrected the braking system issues (and even that is a stetch given that typically this is an annual inspection basis), they aren't cracking the engineering books and verifying a ride isn't going to decapitate a 9 year old.    The lack of state inspection here is really fairly overstated.   The ride was inspected upon opening by the state and passed due to the above reasons.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 27, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »
Good reminder that the systems we assume are in place to protect us might not exist.

yep

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 27, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »

What do you expect the state to do?   They are there to verify things are in working order that exist, so while they may have caught and corrected the braking system issues (and even that is a stetch given that typically this is an annual inspection basis), they aren't cracking the engineering books and verifying a ride isn't going to decapitate a 9 year old.    The lack of state inspection here is really fairly overstated.   The ride was inspected upon opening by the state and passed due to the above reasons.

That the ride was inspected and passed such inspection should counsel against criminal prosecution. While I'm not saying the State needs to have its own engineers sign off on individual ride designs*, would it be so hard to require attestations that new rides were engineered by, uhh, professional engineers?

*Although really, how burdensome would that be? It's not like there are that many new amusement park rides built in Kansas on a yearly basis. The real motivation would be avoiding liability, or at least the appearance of liability (because 11th Amendment).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 27, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »
what structural engineer stamped these plans?  you can’t build something like this without that can you?

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2018, 05:10:36 PM »
what structural engineer stamped these plans?  you can’t build something like this without that can you?
I mean, the structure didn't fall down
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2018, 05:25:01 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the structure

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
it operated as intended?

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 27, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »
it operated as intended?

The portion that a structural engineer stamped, yes. To this day.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 27, 2018, 05:32:35 PM »
we got some hardcore PE's on goEMAW

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 27, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
The indictment details fourteen injuries suffered by guests who rode the slide. The first report was of a fourteen-year-old’s concussion in 2014. Other injured riders included a 46-year-old man whose eye was swollen shut after his raft collided with a concrete wall (which led operations manager Miles, according to the indictment, to force medical staff to alter their reports), and the ten-year-old Schwab, whose injury is described in the document as “decapitation.”

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
we got some hardcore PE's on goEMAW

You gotta know how to protect your ass.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
They should probably take the part about Verruckt out of the Ohio University amusement park online engineering degree section.

https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/amusement-park-and-roller-coaster-engineering/

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
it operated as intended?

how so?  they just go to school to say something won’t blow over in the wind?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2018, 06:03:03 PM »
it operated as intended?

how so?  they just go to school to say something won’t blow over in the wind?

Also the impact of the body coming back down onto the slide did not knock it down.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2018, 06:12:58 PM »
ya it's pretty sad how the engineers are flocking to this thread to cya

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2018, 06:26:29 PM »

Depends on whether they committed a crime
Putting the owner of a waterpark in an orange jumpsuit and hauling him to a federal jail has to be definition of criminal justice theater.

You put people in jail to protect society from them, did they think he was going to go around building rogue deadly waterslides if left loose on the public?

I generally agree, but you have to do something to deter other water park owners from failing to follow the nonexistent safety regulations this state has imposed.
Really the state should be charged for lack of standards and or enforcement...I don't know how any of that works so don't @ me with "but how" details....I dunno!

I'm not saying building a criminally negligent structure shouldn't land a person in prison.  No, if a jury of your peers thinks you belong in prison for what you've done i don't see a problem with that.  What i think is ridiculous is the spectacle of dragging the guy down to get booked and throwing him in an orange jumper for a mug shot to blast around.  Its not like the guy was on the lamb and needed to be brought in, just pure theater/

The Big Train

« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
Wouldn’t this be more on the hydrodynamics engineer(I feel like we’ve already had this discussion).  Also how many mechanical engineers does it take to defend a structural engineer?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2018, 06:30:55 PM »
ya it's pretty sad how the engineers are flocking to this thread to cya
It's shocking really.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
What i think is ridiculous is the spectacle of dragging the guy down to get booked and throwing him in an orange jumper for a mug shot to blast around.  Its not like the guy was on the lamb and needed to be brought in, just pure theater/

I've got some bad news for you about how some law enforcement agencies operate.