Author Topic: Portal Kombat  (Read 167214 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Portal Kombat
« Reply #1075 on: July 21, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »
It’s what is happening right now, they are just formalizing it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 21, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
How? Currently they have to sit out a year the second time unless the NCAA gives them a waiver.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM »
How? Currently they have to sit out a year the second time unless the NCAA gives them a waiver.

They are granting waivers to everyone that asks, see Brandon Jennings as an example.  The NCAA has said eff it and is throwing it back to member institutions to make the changes if they want it so bad.  They got embarrassed with NIL and have taken their ball and gone home.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 21, 2022, 12:27:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1550150118036340737?s=20&t=LlG590T1I1H3h9BPhlfUoA
That's gross

The plantation owner attitude that is slowly being rooted out of college sports is what's gross. We don't treat athletes the same as other students. No one else who transfers to a different school is denied participation in extracurriculars. Now, we can argue whether replacing it with capitalism is the right move, but probably the wrong thread, and I don't even care tbh.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 21, 2022, 12:31:09 PM »
They should do away with maximum years of eligibility next so Tang can go get Beasley.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: July 21, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
I don't really care how often it happens, I think it helps spread out talent, but that being said, there needs to be reasonable rules (if not already) like deadlines/transfer periods. I assume it's already like that. I also wouldn't be opposed to like a 2 transfer per person cap. That's be 3 schools, that seems like a enough moving around to keep it reasonable.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 21, 2022, 12:36:15 PM »
Any restrictions should apply to the coaches and AD as well
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 21, 2022, 02:01:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1550150118036340737?s=20&t=LlG590T1I1H3h9BPhlfUoA
That's gross

Nope, that's great. Being elite at a sport shouldn't come with freedom of movement. Coaches, administrators, non scholarship athletes, and general students can come and go whenever they want. The only people restricted are scholarshipped athletes, that's what's actually gross. I've, for the longest time, wanted the NLI to be abolished, this essentially does that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 21, 2022, 02:04:16 PM »
I don't really care how often it happens, I think it helps spread out talent, but that being said, there needs to be reasonable rules (if not already) like deadlines/transfer periods. I assume it's already like that. I also wouldn't be opposed to like a 2 transfer per person cap. That's be 3 schools, that seems like a enough moving around to keep it reasonable.

No caps, what if you want to transfer before you even step foot on campus, you shouldn't be penalized for that.

There will definitely be deadlines and transfer periods.

Some coaches will openly bitch about this, but this is really good for everyone and is something that will somewhat balance the scales of power between FBS schools.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 21, 2022, 02:32:20 PM »

No caps, what if you want to transfer before you even step foot on campus, you shouldn't be penalized for that.

Some coaches will openly bitch about this, but this is really good for everyone and is something that will somewhat balance the scales of power between FBS schools.

Lil dumb on my end, but how does the NIL work, to me if the kids get some payment there should be some expectation of services. When does the transaction happen? If I was the school I'd be pissed to fork over cash to not have anything to show for it. I guess to me the cap should be something to at least garner some amount of loyalty. But maybe checks don't clear until they get on campus. What do I know

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 21, 2022, 02:41:55 PM »

Lil dumb on my end, but how does the NIL work, to me if the kids get some payment there should be some expectation of services. When does the transaction happen? If I was the school I'd be pissed to fork over cash to not have anything to show for it. I guess to me the cap should be something to at least garner some amount of loyalty. But maybe checks don't clear until they get on campus. What do I know

You have dyslexia sorry friend

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 21, 2022, 03:28:05 PM »
That's gross

Nope, that's great. Being elite at a sport shouldn't come with freedom of movement. Coaches, administrators, non scholarship athletes, and general students can come and go whenever they want. The only people restricted are scholarshipped athletes, that's what's actually gross. I've, for the longest time, wanted the NLI to be abolished, this essentially does that.
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 21, 2022, 05:00:15 PM »
Much like the NIL stuff, I think it sucks for the sport but it's also fair to the players.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 21, 2022, 05:24:06 PM »
That's gross

The plantation owner attitude that is slowly being rooted out of college sports is what's gross. We don't treat athletes the same as other students. No one else who transfers to a different school is denied participation in extracurriculars. Now, we can argue whether replacing it with capitalism is the right move, but probably the wrong thread, and I don't even care tbh.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  I been saying this for years and know it alls thought I was crazy.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 21, 2022, 05:27:06 PM »
Any restrictions should apply to the coaches and AD as well

Yep, those mofoes can do whatever they want and don't think the athletics have the same rights.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 21, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »

If you would have read the article on TTU's NIL deal with athletics you would see that they only get paid per month, so if they leave the pay stops.  Issue solved.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 21, 2022, 05:44:50 PM »

If you would have read the article on TTU's NIL deal with athletics you would see that they only get paid per month, so if they leave the pay stops.  Issue solved.

I haven't had the time, I basically skim here and that's about it

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 21, 2022, 10:51:28 PM »
Should I clarify that I said NLI and not NIL? I was speaking about the national letter of intent that coaches make kids sign, when they're in high school, that states their scholarship is tied to remaining at the school they signed with. Back in the day when people talked about releases for transfers, they were talking about being released from the NLI.

What's even more screwed up about the NLI is the practice, appeared to be, um let's say targeted. Some people get in their feels about derivatives racist. The NLI is only used in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 22, 2022, 08:12:39 AM »
Should I clarify that I said NLI and not NIL? I was speaking about the national letter of intent that coaches make kids sign, when they're in high school, that states their scholarship is tied to remaining at the school they signed with. Back in the day when people talked about releases for transfers, they were talking about being released from the NLI.

What's even more screwed up about the NLI is the practice, appeared to be, um let's say targeted. Some people get in their feels about derivatives racist. The NLI is only used in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.
Schollies are one year deals.  I am obviously missing something but what is the problem of saying that someone who receives a scholarship has to actually attend the school they are getting a scholarship from?

"football, men's basketball, and women's basketball" - i.e. the only sports that generate any revenue, although admittedly wbb is still a money loser.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 22, 2022, 08:17:05 AM »

I followed - my response was related to your comment but was talking NIL, not NLI, although I think they're both headed in the worse direction for the sport. I'm sad to see the sports I love change for the worse, imo, but also can't justify the unfair treatment of athletes to maintain the status quo.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: July 22, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »

I made a disparaging remark about one posters dyslexia, I got your back.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 22, 2022, 08:25:02 AM »

I made a disparaging remark about one posters dyslexia, I got your back.

yeah, thanks for being an ass about it  ;)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 22, 2022, 04:35:45 PM »

Schollies are one year deals.  I am obviously missing something but what is the problem of saying that someone who receives a scholarship has to actually attend the school they are getting a scholarship from?

"football, men's basketball, and women's basketball" - i.e. the only sports that generate any revenue, although admittedly wbb is still a money loser.

That's not what the NLI did though. When you signed that paper, the scholarships were one year scholarships, but that obligation was only for the coaches. The coaches could drop your scholarship whenever they wanted, but if you wanted to leave the school after the year was over the school had to permit it. The obligation of the NIL was all on the students, the coaches and school could, and did, just dump student athletes on the street.

Glad players can now leave without penalty.

Also revenue sports have nothing to do with how many rights should have been granted to the athletes. Because a football player makes more money for the school, his right to transfer should be more restrictive than a tennis player? That's some slave crap.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 01, 2022, 12:05:18 PM »
I view it as a good thing personally.  It’s not just moved up it’s moves down for players who clearly weren’t a fit