Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 72697 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #500 on: February 11, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
Oh man the KS Supreme Court just mushed block grants.

edit:
http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article59752316.html
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33:30 AM »
This sounds like something our Supreme Court should be weighing in on. The Kansas Budget Crisis - brought to you by a bunch of crazy libs on the Supreme Court, who don't have the power to craft a budget but evidently do have the power to order the legislature to spend more money.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 11, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
This sounds like something our Supreme Court should be weighing in on. The Kansas Budget Crisis - brought to you by a bunch of crazy libs on the Supreme Court, who don't have the power to craft a budget but evidently do have the power to order the legislature to spend more money.

You would think that the legislature would have learned by now that they are going to lose this lawsuit every time they cut school funding. They need to amend the constitution if they are going to cut school funding.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 11, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »

You would think that the legislature would have learned by now that they are going to lose this lawsuit every time they cut school funding. They need to amend the constitution if they are going to cut school funding.

Or....and this is just a crazy idea I'm throwing out here....they could adequately fund schools.... :Wha:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 11, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »

Or....and this is just a crazy idea I'm throwing out here....they could adequately fund schools.... :Wha:

They don't want to do that, though. They need to get rid of their legal requirements to get what they want.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:57 AM »
Ghouls
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 11, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
Seems to me if the state would just offer really crappy education then we'd produce kids who are only educated enough to take over their parents' farming practices instead of going out on their own.  They'd make more money and pay more taxes that way.  Shrewd move, IMO.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 11, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
The article I read today on the decision noted that the state is required to adequately fund schools in such a way that kids get a constitutionally adequate education.  Surely, the next step is refefining what level of education is considered "constitutionally adequate".  I mean, there is no way that Brownback loses and tosses money back, and no way he raises taxes either.  They are going to let it be ok for kids to simply be under educated.  This has benefit down the road.  Under educated kids don't go to college, so those whiny rough ridin' secondary education budget ppl will find themselves needing less money due to less participation. 

A true KS Win/Win. 

Also, manufacturing will rush to KS due to the corporate tax change and what will soon be a bunch of cheap labor who have no other options in life than your factory job at min wage. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 11, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »

Please don't start with the "adequate funding" BS. It's ridiculous how much we already spend per pupil, and how inefficiently that money is spent on unnecessary administration because we refuse to consolidate. Just. Stop.

Another alternative would be for the legislature to tell the SC "thanks for your advice, but we make the budget." There is literally nothing the SC can do if the legislature tells them to stuff it. We have co-equal branches of government and the budget has always been within the power of the legislature.

Here is per public spending in Kansas:

http://www.kansasopengov.org/SchoolDistricts/SpendingPerPupil

And that spending doesn't even include local bond revenue.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:28:14 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 11, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
The do more with less crowd needs to step forward with a plan and lead.  If it's so easy, then propose a plan.  Just taking away money and not providing structure is a horrible idea.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: February 11, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
The do more with less crowd needs to step forward with a plan and lead.  If it's so easy, then propose a plan.  Just taking away money and not providing structure is a horrible idea.

cut athletics :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
Yeah, we discussed that earlier ITT.  I would be fine with that. Munis provide that service for little league and it works.  Why not for the older kids too.  Isn't that how Germany is set up.  No school sports, all club ball? 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 11, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »

First, the "taking money away from schools" BS. Under the new grant program, some school districts got a bit more, some got a bit less, but overall spending per pupil continues to increase.

Second, a number of plans have been proposed. See, e.g., http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article58283968.html. Naturally, any such efforts are vigorously opposed.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 11, 2016, 01:33:55 PM »

First, the "taking money away from schools" BS. Under the new grant program, some school districts got a bit more, some got a bit less, but overall spending per pupil continues to increase.

Second, a number of plans have been proposed. See, e.g., http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article58283968.html. Naturally, any such efforts are vigorously opposed.

Man, governing with a Republican governor, Senate and House is tough.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 11, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »
 :lol:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 11, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »
It's like that time fsd said the kansas democrats have a huge amount of power in the state

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 11, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »

Man, governing with a Republican governor, Senate and House is tough.

Oh I completely agree. It's tough for the legislature and governor to whine about the liberals on the Supreme Court when they refuse to (a) consolidate, or (b) tell the court to eff off. Bad actors all around.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 11, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
Did you guys know that Rice County, Kansas, population 10,000 and change (that's total population) has 4 school districts? I just picked a random western county off the list. Those 4 counties spend an average $15,738 per pupil. The Kansas average is $13,124.

But yeah, the problem is we're just not "adequately funding" our schools...

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 11, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
Yeah, we discussed that earlier ITT.  I would be fine with that. Munis provide that service for little league and it works.  Why not for the older kids too.  Isn't that how Germany is set up.  No school sports, all club ball?

Of if school districts want sports programs beyond basic physical education classes, maybe require that the communities issue bonds to pay for them? The farmers aren't going to like that one bit.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 11, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
School athletics provide a tremendous positive for society and education

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 11, 2016, 01:55:37 PM »
Did you guys know that Rice County, Kansas, population 10,000 and change (that's total population) has 4 school districts? I just picked a random western county off the list. Those 4 counties spend an average $15,738 per pupil. The Kansas average is $13,124.

Sounds the republicans should consolidate the school districts or is the stupid liberal supreme court stopping that too.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 11, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »

I agree with you, up to a point. But you don't have to spend much money at all to field, say, a cross country or soccer team. The facilities and equipment for some sports are quite expensive. I would significantly cut funding and let the communities decide to issue bonds if they really want that football team.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 11, 2016, 02:04:49 PM »

What would they spend after consolidation?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 11, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
Would those same positives not be available if you played through your city rather than your school?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 11, 2016, 03:13:44 PM »

How are they spending that much if (I assume) the cost of living is so low out there?