Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4092645 times)

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9400 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
As a society and as fans, we deserve this because we let ESPN and tv markets pervert the only thing unique to college sports, which is traditional rivalries within small geographical areas and accessibility and for fans.

I actually think ESPN is our only hope. They know the geographic rivalries are valuable.

We've already conceded the moral high ground as fans.  Hoping ESPN does the right thing in the name of profitability is all we have left.  We all should've seen the writing on the wall long ago.  The NCAA is not going to arbitrate when there are profits at stake.  We are all pawns that are participating in the slaughter of something we hold dear, all the while largely celebrating this grand progress toward meaningless classifications that obscure the true nature of what is at hand.

It is incomprehensible to me that TV markets are actively spoken about as reasons for conference realignment with absolutely no pretense or awareness that this model announces the death of not only Kansas State, but of many other schools like us.  This is being done on sports radio and on message boards and no one ever stops to so much as question why this must be so.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: September 04, 2011, 11:47:17 AM »
Academics = Money. Why do people insist on thinking they are anything different? Academics is a nice word to cloak people's desire for prestige and money.

Prestige, Money, Exclusivity. 

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: September 04, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
I have thought about this as well...if tv markets are driving the train, I can't see how schools like Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Utah, etc have any chance of staying in a conference that knows that they can kick them out and replace them with a school with more tv sets = more value. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: September 04, 2011, 12:38:11 PM »
I have thought about this as well...if tv markets are driving the train, I can't see how schools like Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Utah, etc have any chance of staying in a conference that knows that they can kick them out and replace them with a school with more tv sets = more value.

I think its tougher to kick a team out than to leave a team behind. But WTF do I know.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: September 04, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
Academics = Money. Why do people insist on thinking they are anything different? Academics is a nice word to cloak people's desire for prestige and money.

Prestige, Money, Exclusivity. 

I realize money and football is driving this train but what I don't understand is how the leaders of schools like Stanford and Cal, Michigan and Northwestern are ostensibly willing to take schools like Nubb ,  Tech and Okie State just to get Texas and OU.   The only school that holds academic cache in the whole deal is the Longhorns??    TIA   I'll listen off the air

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9405 on: September 04, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »
kerkhoff: http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_18824261

lol at equal revenue sharing advocate, T Boone Pickens
"This conversation is going to come up every year as long as the conference is not equal," he said. "You've got to have an equal deal like the SEC. You can fix the Big 12 now, but it's got to go to an equal deal, and it's not equal."

These are the quotes of two neutered men...no power, no influence...simply saying the ONLY thing they can say and playing the only card that they have.

His comments struck a nerve with Zenger.   "We were disappointed to hear the comments yesterday," he said. "I thought we had nine schools that were strongly committed to the conference."

Currie said Kansas State isn't communicating with other conferences.

"We're not having any specific discussions with anybody about anything specific other than our continued commitment along with the rest for the Big 12 presidents to make this thing work.

"Until somebody says the Big 12 is dead we're going to be continuing to work with our partners in the Big 12 to strength the league and sustain the perpetuate the league."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:07:24 PM by Pete »

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: September 04, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
When a fat guy notices his sexy wife flirting with other dudes, he can either hit the gym and get a job or bake some cookies and pledge his commitment to her.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: September 04, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
Trim, when did that Olive Garden Gift Card expire?  We may be in trouble in this whole thing if Schultz gets hungry at the wrong time...

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: September 04, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
The tuck leadership is beginning to lay the groundwork to start pacifying the masses should the inevitable occur.

Leland

GoPowercat Ring of Fame member
Post #15121
Nunavut, Canada

POLL: Assuming it is inevitable that D1A will become two-tiered...

Assuming it is inevitable that D1A will become two-tiered with 64 teams in "mega" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in a mega-conference?

Yes. The benefits heavily out-weigh the negatives, and I want KSU to play in the "big-time".

No. It is already difficult for KSU to compete against the huge money schools, and it will be even more difficult once there are only 64 "major" programs.

with 64 teams in "power" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in the 64, or not?

Posted on 9/4 1:31 PM | IP: Logged

I fully realize they will rationalize mediocrity at all levels.  But wow.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:10:55 PM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: September 04, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »

What sucks the most in all of this is that those schools (and I'd probably throw Wazzou in there too) don't really bring anything more to the table than we do, but they're sitting pretty while we're waving in the wind simply because their wagon wasn't hitched to such inferiority complex riddled fan bases like Nubb and A&M.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: September 04, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »
The tuck leadership is beginning to lay the groundwork for pacifying the masses.

Leland

Post #15121
Nunavut, Canada

Assuming it is inevitable that D1A will become two-tiered with 64 teams in "mega" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in a mega-conference?

Yes. The benefits heavily out-weigh the negatives, and I want KSU to play in the "big-time".

No. It is already difficult for KSU to compete against the huge money schools, and it will be even more difficult once there are only 64 "major" programs.

with 64 teams in "power" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in the 64, or not?

I am speechless.  I am without speech.

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: September 04, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »
If we're looking at 4 * 16 and we have PAC, SEC, Big10, ACC, Big East (and remnants of Big 8).  If PAC, SEC, and Big10 are 3, then those latter 3 will be vying for the 16 spots of the Big Leftovers Conference.

That said, I would not be surprised if Wazzu doesn't find itself looking in when UT, OU and the big boys do to them what they did to the Big12N.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: September 04, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
The tuck leadership is beginning to lay the groundwork for pacifying the masses.

Leland

Post #15121
Nunavut, Canada

I am speechless.  I am without speech.

Conceding athletic competitiveness is ONE part of this equation.  Dropping to a mid-major will have far reaching effects accross every level of the University and community as a whole.

The mere suggestion of the idea that there may by "benefits" to losing our major conference status is literally so asinine on so many levels it is almost incomprehensible.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: September 04, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
I got my K-State Athletic Annual Report Yesterday, and it was impressive, and the great thing about it for John Currie is that he doesn't need to do a resume, just hand that thing over.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: September 04, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1260448

...and on cue......the texas legislature

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: September 04, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »

Yep. It was only a matter of time before the Texas lawmakers got in the mix.

As Chip said, things are about to get real messy.  I'm sure there are a number on the Texas side of the table that want to preserve their own interest by keeping UT put, but you can bet your ass Ken Starr and the boys are not going down without a fight as well.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: September 04, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »

merely a speed bump.  you can't stop what's coming.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: September 04, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »

Not stop...but this bump knocked baylor into the big 12 last time.  Not sure what way this will take us but this will make things interesting for the a holes destroying college football.  Wouldn't want this too be easy for them

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9418 on: September 04, 2011, 02:39:30 PM »
@ChipBrownOB Texas A&M will be hearing from legislators that Aggies' departure from the B12 no longer has their blessing, sources say.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: September 04, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
It makes no sense at all for those schools to want to go to the Pac-12 (not that common sense has anything to do with this).    They are perfectly suited to rule the football in the conference for years and if they're smart about it, they can have a conference full of other teams that could easily make winning the conference a legit feat and worthy of high BCS poll rankings.  

As BITB said last week, it's going to be extremly strange to have such a large geographic area that does not have a BCS conference headquartered in in it if this all plays out.  

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9420 on: September 04, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
I hope we go to the MWC so Fitz goes out of business because nobody cares about a lack of info from a shitty team in a shitty conference.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: September 04, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
Maybe the MWC wouldn't be so bad?  In basketball, you can still compete at a high level in a small conference.  (See: Gonzaga, Utah, Byu, UNLV, etc)  Also,we should be able to go bowling like every year in a mid-major conference.  :cool:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: September 04, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
No, the shitty part is we would still finish in the bottom half of the MWC.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #9423 on: September 04, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

People keep saying this, but what is 'what's coming'?

What person of real power and influence has gone on record to say that it's 4x16 other than Larry Scott?  Who?  Other than columnists with a blatant playoff agenda, who says this is truly inevitable?

What's inevitable is that about 20-30 teams will totally outpace everyone else and have the potential to break off from the NCAA.  Some strange 64 team division that results in a playoff is some mythical creation by the media dreaming of a playoff.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: September 04, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »

Maybe the MWC wouldn't be so bad?  In basketball, you can still compete at a high level in a small conference.  (See: Gonzaga, Utah, Byu, UNLV, etc)  Also,we should be able to go bowling like every year in a mid-major conference.  :cool:

Shut the eff up.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb