Author Topic: CHIEFS  (Read 1520264 times)

Cartierfor3, ben ji, michigancat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS
« Reply #2175 on: January 12, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
yeah, can't believe denver lost that game

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:18 AM »
Freeman had many similar performances in college.  That said, I want neither and if they are equal, neither is worth the #1

I would say that Freeman is worth sliding down 10 or 11 slots in the first round, though. Nobody is suggesting the Chiefs trade their 1st round pick for Freeman. They are suggesting they trade their first round pick for Freeman and Tampa Bay's first round pick. That's a big difference.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: CHIEFS
« Reply #2177 on: January 13, 2013, 01:26:41 AM »
yeah, can't believe denver lost that game
Refs

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:09 AM »
Freeman had many similar performances in college.  That said, I want neither and if they are equal, neither is worth the #1

I would say that Freeman is worth sliding down 10 or 11 slots in the first round, though. Nobody is suggesting the Chiefs trade their 1st round pick for Freeman. They are suggesting they trade their first round pick for Freeman and Tampa Bay's first round pick. That's a big difference.

Do first round picks get swapped like that?  Iwas thinking more like a second, a fourth,  and a future third or something like that.   Its not like baseball where teams will really gamble on a dude who's contract is up next year.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 13, 2013, 01:35:07 AM »

Do first round picks get swapped like that?  Iwas thinking more like a second, a fourth,  and a future third or something like that.   Its not like baseball where teams will really gamble on a dude who's contract is up next year.

It depends on the trade. The trade mentioned by OKcat was The Chiefs' first round pick for Tampa's first round pick and Freeman.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:49 AM »

It depends on the trade. The trade mentioned by OKcat was The Chiefs' first round pick for Tampa's first round pick and Freeman.

That would be rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 13, 2013, 03:11:06 AM »
Has Freeman ever been surrounded by any kind of talent at all in Tampa?  They had Doug Martin to run the ball this year and... Vincent Jackson to throw to? Is VJ the best target Freems has ever had? Dallas Clark? I think trading down to get Freems, plus the 10th or 11th pick would be amazing.

And kindly shut the eff up with this Alex Smith nonsense. Would rather take AJ McCarron than Alex Smith every day of the week.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: January 13, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
If Chiefs give up their 1st pick overall for the 11th pick AND Freemaw, then they are very, very fortunate because they will benefit greatly from that trade.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: January 13, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »
I'm not sold on the new GM. The Packers never need to draft for necessity. It's always for, at bare minimum, second string. Drafting for a position of need will be a new concept for him.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: January 13, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
Chiefs need to get a serviceable QB and retain assets to trade for a qb(most likely a draft pick to get a QB) in the future when a franchise QB is available.  Smith wouldn't be bad, so long as everyone knows he is not long term.  Tampa Bay would never make that Freeman trade unless they had someone at backup they think is just as good or will soon be better.  Then again, Schiano might be an idiot.

The advantage to Reid is that he has a pretty decent history of QBs.  Most of it is McNabb, but overall Vick did well there and Kolb looked good under him, even though he turned out to be garbage.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »
I'm not sold on the new GM. The Packers never need to draft for necessity. It's always for, at bare minimum, second string. Drafting for a position of need will be a new concept for him.

Huh? The Packers are one of the best teams at building through the draft and finding ditr free agents. If Dorsey can be anywhere near the GM Thompson is I'd be ecstatic.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: January 13, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »

Huh? The Packers are one of the best teams at building through the draft and finding ditr free agents. If Dorsey can be anywhere near the GM Thompson is I'd be ecstatic.

I think that has more to do with the fact that they usually have years to develop them. How often do they draft someone and they contribute their rookie year?

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »
they should do this
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »
Freeman is, at best, a middle of the road quarterback in the NFL.

Here is "power rating" list that has him very low.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000114181/article/quarterback-power-rankings-the-big-three-dominate

Freeman is so scattershot. You don't know what you are getting throw to throw, much less quarter to quarter.

The above is how he's always been.  He "looks" the part, so he gets the benefit of the doubt.  He's Colt McCoy with a better body.

Jaworski ranked all quarterbacks as well.  He ranked Freeman 19th. 

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8807079/nfl-jaws-2012-qb-rankings-regular-season-peyton-manning-league-best

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/7/3844452/espn-ron-jaworski-quarterback-rankings-josh-freeman-draft

I think Freeman was the biggest disappointment of the season's last quarter. His poor play really reminded me of his struggles from the end of 2011, and seemed to suggest no improvement year over year. He was wildly inaccurate, with his mechanics failing him. He was often throwing off his back foot instead of driving his throws. He has a lot of repairs to make in the offseason.

Josh Freeman in KC would mean more of the same for both Josh Freeman and the Chiefs.  More losing.  DO NOT WANT.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: January 13, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
Chiefs need to get a serviceable QB and retain assets to trade for a qb(most likely a draft pick to get a QB) in the future when a franchise QB is available.  Smith wouldn't be bad, so long as everyone knows he is not long term.  Tampa Bay would never make that Freeman trade unless they had someone at backup they think is just as good or will soon be better.  Then again, Schiano might be an idiot.

The advantage to Reid is that he has a pretty decent history of QBs.  Most of it is McNabb, but overall Vick did well there and Kolb looked good under him, even though he turned out to be garbage.

Smith=Cassel

DO NOT WANT

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
Pete, who do you think is the Chiefs best realistic option to contribute next year?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: January 13, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »

I think that has more to do with the fact that they usually have years to develop them. How often do they draft someone and they contribute their rookie year?

Here's a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article from 4 days ago titled:

Contributions abound from Packers' rookies

Once again, the Packers skewed young under the consistent direction of general manager Ted Thompson and prospered because of it.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/contributions-abound-from-packers-rookies-qk8afqe-186259241.html

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: January 13, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
Pete, who do you think is the Chiefs best realistic option to contribute next year?

No one in the NFL will ever trade a truly good QB, unless their is redundancy on their team....even then, it's beyond rare.  It's just not done.

So, I think they need to decide who the best quarterback is in this draft, put their money where their mouth is, and draft him number 1 and start him.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: January 13, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »
Here's some dudes' opinion of the best QB taken in each draft for the last 15 years. 

This is on Andy Reid and John Dorsey.  They need to accurately evaluate the quarterback's in this draft, and hope to end up with a player who is top half when compared to the guys listed below.

1st line - Year - Best QB Drafted That Year - Pick among QBs in Draft - Round/Pick -
2nd line - Total Career Starts of the 1st QB Taken

2012 - Robert Griffin III - 2nd QB - Round 1, Pick 2
1st QB (Andrew Luck) started 15 games of 16 (Full-time starter)

2011 - Cam Newton - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 1
1st QB started 32 games of 32 (Full-time starter)

2010 - Sam Bradford - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 1
1st QB started 42 of 48 games (Full-time starter)

2009 - Matthew Stafford - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 1
1st QB started 44 of 64 games (Full-time starter)

2008 - Matt Ryan - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 3
1st QB started 77 of 80 games (Full-time starter)

2007 - Kevin Kolb - 3rd QB - Round 2, Pick 4
1st QB (Jamarcus Russell) started 25 games (out of league)

2006 - Jay Cutler - 3rd QB - Round 1, Pick 11
1st QB (Vince Young) started 50 games (out of league)

2005 - Aaron Rodgers - 2nd QB - Round 1, Pick 24
1st QB (Alex Smith) started 75 of 96 games (full-time starter, possible backup now)

2004 - Eli Manning - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 1
1st QB started 135 of 144 games (Full-time starter)

2003 - Carson Palmer - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 1
1st QB started 121 of 160 games (Full-time starter other than retirement whining)

2002 - David Carr - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 1
1st QB started 79 of 176 games (backup)

2001 - Drew Brees - 2nd QB - Round 2, Pick 1
1st QB (Michael Vick) started 102 of 192 games (Full-time starter, then despised prisoner, then full-time starter, now not really sure but still despised)

2000 - Tom Brady - 7th QB - Round 6, Pick 33
1st QB (Chad Pennington) started 81 games (out of league)

1999 - Donovan McNabb - 2nd QB - Round 1, Pick 2
1st QB (Tim Couch) started 59 games (out of league)

1998 - Peyton Manning - 1st QB - Round 1, Pick 1
1st QB started 224 of 240 games (full-time starter with bad neck for cheating team)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: January 13, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »

Here's a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article from 4 days ago titled:

Contributions abound from Packers' rookies

Once again, the Packers skewed young under the consistent direction of general manager Ted Thompson and prospered because of it.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/contributions-abound-from-packers-rookies-qk8afqe-186259241.html

Well that gives me more hope than I originally had, but it did say they only start 2 rookies. I think it's a good get overall, I'm just saying drafting for the Chiefs and drafting for the Packers aren't exactly the same thing.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »

Smith=Cassel

DO NOT WANT

Smith has made a deep run in the playoffs and made plays down the stretch to get them there.  Not saying he is great, but he is a Cassel upgrade.  Even if he was Cassel, he would be Cassel at a ridiculous discount and one we could bench when a better option came along. 

I don't love Smith but I am worried we are going to waste a really good draft pick on a bad QB. I would rather trade down, draft another position, get a few picks for next year, and hope to go after a franchise guy then.  My ideal realistic QB for next year would be Flynn, with Smith second because we would not be overly commited to either.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: January 14, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
Great article on Dorsey.  I am excited to have the combination of Dorsey and Reid. 

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/13/4009205/new-chiefs-gm-dorsey-has-prepared.html

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:50 AM »
Great article on Dorsey.  I am excited to have the combination of Dorsey and Reid. 

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/13/4009205/new-chiefs-gm-dorsey-has-prepared.html

Also, looks like we won't be drafting a quarterback at #1, eh?

Dorsey credits his principles of drafting and building a team to what he learned from Wolf and Thompson, including the philosophy of acquiring value in the draft. Dorsey has said the Packers have always been committed to drafting the best available player.

“Best player available. We live it,”
Dorsey told the Packers’ web site before the 2011 draft. “Our job is to find the best player we can possibly find to improve our roster. If we can make our roster as competitive as we possibly can, that’s all you can do. We’ve always been taught to stay true to the board, whatever you do, and we stay true to the board.”

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: January 14, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »

Dorsey credits his principles of drafting and building a team to what he learned from Wolf and Thompson, including the philosophy of acquiring value in the draft. Dorsey has said the Packers have always been committed to drafting the best available player.

Dorsey told the Packers’ web site before the 2011 draft. “Our job is to find the best player we can possibly find to improve our roster. If we can make our roster as competitive as we possibly can, that’s all you can do. We’ve always been taught to stay true to the board, whatever you do, and we stay true to the board.”

This is my philosophy. If the chiefs believed this in the past, we would have BJ Raji instead of the Packers

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: January 14, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »

I'm glad.  I would hate for them to use a #1 overall pick for a QB when they can just as good of a one in the 2nd round.