Author Topic: 2014 Recruiting Thread  (Read 364623 times)

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
Here's an article from the Xavier Scout site about Lyle, Bluiett, and a 3rd SIH prospect, Jonathan Wilkins, that I have not seen KSU mentioned in connection with. Like KSU, Xavier has offered both Lyle and Bluiett.

Spiece Trio Impresses in Ft. Wayne   

By Rick Broering
MusketeerReport.com
Posted May 5, 2012 

Share on twitterShare on facebook| More Sharing ServicesMore

MusketeerReport got a chance to watch three players on Xavier's radar in the first game of the Spiece Run-N-Slam event Friday night.

One of the best events of the year is the Spiece Run-N-Slam event taking place in Ft. Wayne this weekend.
Friday night got off to a good start as MusketeerReport got the chance to evaluate the Spiece Indy Heat team that has been participating in Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League consisting of two 2014 Xavier targets and another player who is on the staff's radar.

Jaquan Lyle, ranked 13th overall in the class of 2014, stood out on the loaded Spiece Indy Heat roster. Playing both on and off the ball, Lyle finished with 15 points and at least seven assists in the win.

Lyle has a natural feel for the game and court vision that is second to none. He made the transition seamlessly from playing with the ball in his hands to playing on the wing, though I still prefer him as a point guard because of his ability to create and see everyone on the floor. At 6-foot-4 with a big frame though, it's possible that he's going to play off the ball at the next level.

He showed off his improved jump shot on the offensive end by knocking down a pair of pull-up threes in transition and a few long jumpers. He was constantly in attack mode, and a little more aggressive in looking for his own shot than in any previous evaluations, especially when he was playing off the ball. He also showed off his athleticism by throwing down a couple of alley-oop dunks.

The other Xavier target that stood out is 6-5 wing Trevon Bluiett. Bluiett is a thicker wing with a sweet stroke from the outside.

He finished with 12 points, while showing off his smooth perimeter jumper. He has long arms and a bigger body, which he uses to his advantage, even though his feet aren't the quickest. One thing that really stood out about Bluiett's game is the strides he's made with his handle. His offensive skill-set is now more that of a two guard, as he looked really good as the primary ball-handler at times and also when pushing it in transition. He also made some really nice passes and showed improved passing ability and feel.

Xavier is also looking at 2014 big man Johnathan Wilkins, a 6-foot-10 center, that plays for Spiece.

Wilkins was an interesting player to evaluate. He is completely comfortable being a role player on a strong roster. He gives maximum effort, runs the entire floor on every play, always crashes the glass and is unselfish after he chases down a loose ball or offensive rebound. He is at his best when he's blocking shots and rebounding right now, but his size combined with his athleticism and effort makes for a pretty high ceiling, especially on offense.

Bluiett and Lyle are pretty serious targets for Xavier, and both showed really well on Friday night. Bluiett is a good shooter with range and a developing all-around skill-set and offensive game. Lyle is a high-level creator, who can absolutely control the game with the ball in his hands. He makes everyone else better with his passing ability. Wilkins is an interesting young big man with a chance to develop into a nice prospect. He has legit size, is a good athlete and plays with great effort. His hands and coordination look pretty good already, and with a little development on the offensive end he may very well see increased interest from schools.

MusketeerReport will hopefully get another chance to evaluate these prospects from Indiana on Saturday at the Spiece Run-N-Slam.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
 :chainsaw:
Just hoping we don't fall into the "fit" trap, latest evidence is we're heading down that path.

Think players, not plays.

That's literally the only thing oscar has said he did wrong at Illinois.  He said he got caught up bringing in highly ranked players rather than guys that fit his style of play.  Not falling into the "fit" trap was Weber's only eff-up at Illinois according to Weber.  Served.       
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
2014 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
Just hoping we don't fall into the "fit" trap, latest evidence is we're heading down that path.

That's literally the only thing oscar has said he did wrong at Illinois.  He said he got caught up bringing in highly ranked players rather than guys that fit his style of play.  Not falling into the "fit" trap was Weber's only eff-up at Illinois according to Weber.  Served.       

frank is all about fit too

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

Fanfuckingtastic.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
Kline

"Johnnie Vassar - a 2014 6-foot point guard who was being home schooled - is on the move again. He will attend Milton High in Georgia for his junior season. After attending Lawrence Academy in Massachusetts for his freshman year, Vassar made the move out to La Lumiere in Indiana for his sophomore season.

After a few months at La Lumiere, he decided to leave due to academic reasons and was home schooled for a few months. After residing in California for a few months, the talented floor general will head down south to Milton where he will play for David Boyd's squad following the re-location of his mother's job.

"I picked Milton because of the relationship with the coach," he said. "It's a good academic school, has a nice schedule, style of play and I also wanted to go to a school where all the kids live in the same community."

Vassar has looks from DePaul, California, Syracuse, Kansas State, SMU, Marquette and other schools. He recently visited Marquette and had an Illinois offer prior to the staff being fired. He is running with the SYF Players of Indiana this spring and is trying to get his name back in the spotlight."

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364169

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
we aren't going to try recruiting against anyone "better" than us, are we?

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
we aren't going to try recruiting against anyone "better" than us, are we?

That's why God invented package deals, or at least former AAU coaches.

Kinda disappointed we apparently aren't going to go that route.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
Peyton Allen, 6'4" SG. Previous staff was recruiting this kid, sounds like Weber's staff has gone forward with that, 3 offers for him right now but getting plenty of interest from a lot of high majors. Plays AAU on a very talented SW IL Jets team, sounds like he may be the best of the bunch, can really light it up from deep:

"The 2014 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Glenwood Chatham in Illinois, Allen is running alongside Darreon Reddick and Darius Austin with the U16 Illinois Southwest Jets on the AAU circuit. The squad is having a strong spring thus far as Allen continues to pick up new schools.

Three schools have offered early in Oklahoma State, Iowa and Bradley, while the squads interested in him are Tennessee, Xavier, Florida State, Butler, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Kansas State, West Virginia, Purdue, Illinois State, Wake Forest, South Carolina, Stanford, Oregon State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, DePaul, SIUE, Ball State, Oklahoma, Auburn Missouri, Marquette and Cincinnati."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1363441

http://www.umhoops.com/2012/04/24/spring-showdown-peyton-allen-scouting-video-and-qa/

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
Interview and brief vid of Cimino. It's fairly recent - 4/25, but prior to offer from KSU, which came earlier this month.

If youv'e got the time, you can piece together a whole game of Cimino at Worcester from last season. #34 in white. I only made it through the 1st vid.*

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_941098&src_vid=rFw5juKksuM&feature=iv&list=PL3A3149FEB998AE1F

*Tilton(in black) has 5* in '12 prospect Nerlens Noel(#3, going to Kentucky), and several other high major prospects including #20 Georges Niang who's headed to Iowa St. and #11 Dominique Bull who's going to Missouri.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:34:25 PM by Underdog Wildcat »

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
Notre Dame has offered Blueitt, joining Illinois, Indiana, KSU, Purdue, Virginia, and Xavier.

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1366362

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
Bossi with report on KC Classic from Saturday's action. Sounds like Custer stepped up his play. There's also some stuff on Nairn and 5* wing Kevon Looney from Milwaukee, who's the mostly rated prospect at the tourney this weekend, free update linked below:

"Sophomore point guard Clayton Custer admitted that he hadn't been himself during the last two weekends of play. The six-footer from Overland Park (Kan.) Blue Valley Northwest hadn't played with his usual confidence and swagger the past few weekends for MoKan Elite during Nike's EYBL.

A stint at home in front of his family and friends may have been exactly what the doctor ordered, though, as Custer was back to playing at a high level. He hit pull-up jumpers, got into the lane and finished floaters with contact, worked refs for calls and helped lead his team to a bunch of wins Saturday.

The junior-to-be said he remained confident despite his struggles.

"I never lost my confidence," Custer told Rivals.com. "Maybe I got a little overconfident and felt like I'd made it. I realized that I haven't done anything yet, and I need to stay on a mission."

The recipient of early offers from the likes of Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Houston, Custer plans on hitting Nike's Elite 100 camp for the nation's top underclassmen in June and may take a visit to Kansas State to check in with the new staff.

For the most part, though, he'll use June to rest up and prepare for July, and he'll be sure to be taking the floor with confidence.

"Sometimes I feel like people think I'm good because of the way I carry myself," said Custer. "When I'm confident and play with that swagger, it comes out in my game and I'm at my best."

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1367204

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »
Scout released their Top 75 for '14

13. Lyle
58. Greer - Really hopeful we're in the hunt with this kid
64. Cimino - Pick and Pop maestro!
68. Blueitt

23 and 34. The world is yours Chet

12, 16, 50, 54. All Houston kids and I believe all play AAU with Houston Hoops. Can AB3 get some mentions here?  :crossfingers:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
Scout released their Top 75 for '14

2. Jahlil Okafor
13. Lyle
58. Greer - Really hopeful we're in the hunt with this kid
64. Cimino - Pick and Pop maestro!
68. Blueitt

23 and 34. The world is yours Chet

12, 16, 50, 54. All Houston kids and I believe all play AAU with Houston Hoops. Can AB3 get some mentions here?  :crossfingers:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014
Forgot the Big One.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
LOL

I'm honestly not sure if Weber's staff has re-extended the offer to Okafor. I know Martin's staff offered him last fall and his recruiting profiles still reflect that, but I really haven't seen much evidence from the time Weber has been hired that KSU is recruiting him. Here's an article from the Duke site on 5/9 stating who is actively recruiting him the most.

Jahlil Okafor  By Scott Phillips
TDD Staff
Posted May 9, 2012 

Share on twitterShare on facebook| More Sharing ServicesMore

Jahlil Okafor says Duke has been recruiting him harder than most any other program

With the April live evaluation period in the dust, coaches have already started to follow up on marquee targets they tracked during the final two weekends of the month. Duke was certainly no exception in staying in touch with their primary targets as the coaching staff made sure to follow up with one of their biggest recruits - in size and stature - by speaking with elite 2014 center Jahlil Okafor.
Okafor broke down his recruitment over the weekend while playing with the Mac Irvin Fire at the Spiece Run N' Slam in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

"Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Ohio State, Arizona, UConn, and Georgetown were all in touch after April," Okafor said. "The only coaches I talked to were the Ohio State coaches and I (also) talked to the Duke coaches. Every other school spoke to my Dad."

With Duke being one of the two programs that actually spoke directly to Jahlil, the Devils had a chance to re-iterate their commitment to recruiting Scout.com's No. 2 player in 2014. Okafor is off a strong start this spring, averaging 11.1 points and 4.6 rebounds a game in only 19 minutes a game in nine EYBL contests.

"I spoke with Coach K and he was just telling me more about the program and how much he wants me to go there," Okafor said of his recent contact with the Duke coaching staff.

Okafor, who is also shooting 70% from the field in the EYBL, also said the Devils were among those recruiting him the hardest.

"I would say Ohio State, Michigan State, Duke, and Arizona have been the most consistent recruiting me," Jahlil said.

While the recruiting process never seems to end for Jahlil, he's also spent a considerable amount of time getting into better game shape.

"It's making things a lot easier for me," Okafor said of his work in the gym. "It's easier to move, I'm a lot more athletic, and it's easier to dunk. So it's helping my game a lot. I can move more from left to right and it's helped my agility on defense."

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:28:29 PM by Underdog Wildcat »

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
Okafor is weird he took an unofficial to Nebraska, we have connections to him, maybe the staff doesn’t think he worth the time. But, I remember somewhere us contacting him after the Weber hire.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2012, 02:17:42 PM »
Okafor's visit to NUBB had everything to do with their asst Ron Coleman, see link below. The Mac Irvin Fire had about 5 prospects visit Lincoln on the same weekend. If they end up landing Kyle Davis I will be equally impressed at them landing him and angry at us for not recruiting him more heavily.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205408610

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
CHET!   :excited:

DeAnte' Mitchell ?@CollegiateHoops
Kansas St now involved with Baltimore Poly (MD) PG John Crosby '14, Kenwood (MD) PF Trevis Buckhannon '14 & St. Frances (MD) PG Kurk Lee '15

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
I bet he made sure to route his flight from Germany through Baltimore on his way to Manhattan

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »
TEAM MEL0  :drool: :drool: :drool: TEAM CHET

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »
I like this Chet fella!  Like him a lot more than that Chris Lowery clown ass.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
Quote from:  kline
Kansas State has offered 2014 Illinois Wolves SF Kieta Bates-Diop
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Keita-Bates-Diop-131248

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
 :emawkid:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
Joe Henricksen ?@joehoopsreport
oscar Weber and Kansas State offers 6-7 sophomore Keita Bates Diop from Normal U High

Retweeted by Chris Lowery

Lowery retweeting is definitely a violation, right? If so, we are on the right track.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
oscar Weber and Kansas State offers 6-7 sophomore Keita Bates Diop from Normal U High

Lowery retweeting is definitely a violation, right? If so, we are on the right track.
Yeah, I was just about to say something. Crazy! I like that he's an attention whore. He's pretty much saying look at me and what I did. :ConfidenceRising:

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »

Yeah, I was just about to say something. Crazy! I like that he's an attention whore. He's pretty much saying look at me and what I did. :ConfidenceRising:
Lowery has SWAG