Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378452 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Here is the pasture my dad broke out and planted Milo that only headed out at around 25%. It was great for pheasant hunting but it's why he lost money in a farming period of record high crop prices.

They harvested a small area of the field but then just left the rest. I told my dad not to bother wasting seed on the playa lakes area of the field but he didn't listen. Only 4 more years then we can get those areas into some sweet sweet CRP

(The mowed trails area is in the top right of this photo)

So my dad has been letting a local "Nate" run cattle on his pasture for free this winter and in exchange Nate is gonna use his fence post digger implement and farming skills to fence off the new dry cropland we broke out last year. (There are cattle out there now but with temp electric fences)

I met Nate twice while I was out hunting last fall and like him. My dad already bought all the posts but is a city boy now and can't put them in himself.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My dad is planning on going out there next week to mark where he wants the fence strung up and I talked him into leaving a 5 acre pheasant preserve area when they run the new fence line.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Once the new fence is in the cattle will be able to follow the blue line in about a 10 yard gap from the main corral/barn area out to the 130 acres of pasture along the beautiful north fork of the Solomon river.

The red line is where the new fence will go up to protect my pheasant hunting preserve.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:36:56 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In other news I can't wait until 4 years from now when we can put those playa lakes into CRP. Apparently they have to be classified as "farmland" for 5 years before they can be enrolled in CRP. Dam government making up stupid rules before they give you money. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The second those playa lakes are eligible for CRP I will be out there fencing that crap into my personal pheasant preserve.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4705 on: April 18, 2022, 07:16:49 AM »
if you are going to continue to plant that land I would strongly recommend continuing to utilize the electric fence during times cattle are on it (for free).

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ben ji's dad is making it out to the farm for the first time in about 2 months...they closed I-70 due to dust storms right as he was getting in. Storm front is moving in but the dust is blowing before the rain is supposed to arrive around 10pm tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New plan for the farm from Ben ji's dad

"1/4 hogs produced in US are exported.  Cheaper to raise them with brewery grain.  Thinking of a farm brewery, hog, Goat operation with a bed and breakfast.  4 army helicopters parked at Oakley airport."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 09:07:05 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if you are going to continue to plant that land I would strongly recommend continuing to utilize the electric fence during times cattle are on it (for free).
The electric fence/new permanent fence is to keep the cattle OUT of the new cropland. The guy my dad leased the cropland to doesn't want cows compacting the dirt down since he wants to no till farm it this spring (or something like that).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The electric fence/new permanent fence is to keep the cattle OUT of the new cropland. The guy my dad leased the cropland to doesn't want cows compacting the dirt down since he wants to no till farm it this spring (or something like that).

what are you planting that you don't want cattle stomping it? I'm by no means a farming genius but I've got enough farming genius via osmosis (yelling at me for rough ridin' up) that I am curious.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ben ji's dad is making it out to the farm for the first time in about 2 months...they closed I-70 due to dust storms right as he was getting in. Storm front is moving in but the dust is blowing before the rain is supposed to arrive around 10pm tonight.

great pic

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

what are you planting that you don't want cattle stomping it? I'm by no means a farming genius but I've got enough farming genius via osmosis (yelling at me for rough ridin' up) that I am curious.
Pretty sure it's gonna be more Milo (of a different variety that hopefully heads out this year).

The tenant wants to plant wheat on the breakout pasture but then we wouldn't get any money until a year from now so I think my dad is gonna make/request he plant 200 acres of Milo and maybe 100 acres of wheat.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

great pic
I love the isolation of the high plains and it's some beautiful looking country between Mid May-Late July (assuming no drought) but God dam does the wind and the dust make you realize why they were still giving the land away for free in the early 20th century

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is my dad doing actual farm work or just cosplaying?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
after reading this thread forever, I just realized I have no idea what the hell milo is?  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Is my dad doing actual farm work or just cosplaying?

benji without looking at the image have you read your previous posts about your dad's farming adventures in this thread?

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
after reading this thread forever, I just realized I have no idea what the hell milo is?  :dunno:

One of the main characters in the old Bloom County comic strip.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

Milo is a chocolate-flavored malted chowder product produced by Nestlé, typically mixed with milk, hot water, or both, to produce a beverage. It was originally developed in Australia by Thomas Mayne in 1934. It's got vitamins (vit-uh-minz) and stuff to make your bones and muscles strong.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Also, I think you can smoke it???

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It has like 10 names (sorghum, broomcorn etc) etc but in Western KS it's called Milo. It's a grain they feed to cows.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4721 on: April 25, 2022, 03:44:19 PM »
millet

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Booze Berries
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
really good quick watch on a bull rider

we had a few bull riders work for us over the years and one was big enough that you could say his name and it'd get head turns by rodeo folks. but man it's a brutal sport. lotta headers and healers worked for us and didn't get crippled but all of the bull riders did. just a brutal undertaking.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Can confirm it takes a toll on your body.  I have a new hip and reconstructed shoulder to prove it.
@mikec2w