Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371980 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
is that a wagyu in the shovel

It's a striped skunk which is one of the four skunk breeds which can be sold under the name of wagpyou which literally translates to "Japanese Skunk".

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
also you know you are farm AF if you have a squared off shovel like that. you don't see those anywhere other than 100 year old lean-to buildings filled with absolute truckloads of bullshit.
Or in the hands of the lowest guy on every concrete crew in existence.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
also you know you are farm AF if you have a squared off shovel like that. you don't see those anywhere other than 100 year old lean-to buildings filled with absolute truckloads of bullshit.

I feel like those types of shovels are specifically designed for shoveling coal or cow crap.

Also whats up with all the rabid skunks on the dave place? Overpopulated? Do alot of bats hang around the dave homestead that the skunks go and eff with? I bet there is some abandoned well on the dave homestead full of bats and SD fell in there one day

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
100% certainty that lil sd will inquire about vagasil the next time he pitches. This is not a joke, he will absolutely ask me if he can slap some on his cap/chest.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I randomly checked the KS WIHA map and they have updated the satellite imagery which I have dated to between November 1st and November 14th of 2021.

https://ksdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a6467b7c4f714053ab63003607674413

There is a U shape in the windbreak where my uncle used to dump hay bales for his cattle and all the grass was dead since it was trampled so much. Over the summer it grew up a mix of weeds/alfalfa/grass. Each time I went out to the cat ranch I would mow some trails through it just dreaming of pheasant season.

I was out there October 31st when Nebraska's pheasant season opened and would walk my dogs through that area and flush 5+ birds without even trying.

Came back out 2 weeks later for KS opening day and my dad had tilled it up because "Nothing but a bunch of weeds"

I was devastated and it's all coming back to me now that I can see the sweet ass trails I painstakingly mowed. He promises he won't mow/till it up this year.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 07:56:26 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here is the pasture my dad broke out and planted Milo that only headed out at around 25%. It was great for pheasant hunting but it's why he lost money in a farming period of record high crop prices.

They harvested a small area of the field but then just left the rest. I told my dad not to bother wasting seed on the playa lakes area of the field but he didn't listen. Only 4 more years then we can get those areas into some sweet sweet CRP

(The mowed trails area is in the top right of this photo)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here is the pasture my dad broke out and planted Milo that only headed out at around 25%. It was great for pheasant hunting but it's why he lost money in a farming period of record high crop prices.

They harvested a small area of the field but then just left the rest. I told my dad not to bother wasting seed on the playa lakes area of the field but he didn't listen. Only 4 more years then we can get those areas into some sweet sweet CRP

(The mowed trails area is in the top right of this photo)

The huckster seed guy who sold him the Milo seed that didnt head out felt bad for him and is giving him some free seed next year. Our conversation went like this

ben ji - "So your gonna plant the same seed that didnt produce last year"

dad - "Not all of it, maybe just some of the acres and the rest will be what I planted on the circle that produced well"

ben ji - "Why dont you just plant all of the acres with what produced last year?"

dad - "Well we are getting it for free"

ben ji -  :dubious:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Another conversation

ben ji - "Why dont you just lease the land to our distant land baron cousin like you were talking about a couple of months ago. He farms 10,000 acres including most of the land around our farm"

dad - "Maybe I will when I start slowing down"

ben ji - "You dont actually do any of the farming now, what do you mean by slowing down?"

dad - "Not yet"

Whatever, at least he has something to distract him from sending me emails about how Hillary is running a pedophile ring and obama was the antichrist.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I randomly checked the KS WIHA map and they have updated the satellite imagery which I have dated to between November 1st and November 14th of 2021.

https://ksdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a6467b7c4f714053ab63003607674413

There is a U shape in the windbreak where my uncle used to dump hay bales for his cattle and all the grass was dead since it was trampled so much. Over the summer it grew up a mix of weeds/alfalfa/grass. Each time I went out to the cat ranch I would mow some trails through it just dreaming of pheasant season.

I was out there October 31st when Nebraska's pheasant season opened and would walk my dogs through that area and flush 5+ birds without even trying.

Came back out 2 weeks later for KS opening day and my dad had tilled it up because "Nothing but a bunch of weeds"

I was devastated and it's all coming back to me now that I can see the sweet ass trails I painstakingly mowed. He promises he won't mow/till it up this year.

I nearly teared up just reading this
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That uncut milo is going to be wilding out next year. Did you burn it off or work the crap out of it?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That uncut milo is going to be wilding out next year. Did you burn it off or work the crap out of it?

I have no idea what they are going to do with it. As of January it was still out there half fallen over etc. My dad had someone put some cows on part of his pasture and on his circle to eat the leftover milo there. I asked him why not let them go HAM on that unharvested milo field but apparently his tenant didn't want cows on the field compacting the soil since he was going to no till it next year?

Dunno but both of them sound like crap farmers.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
a field of unharvested volunteer milo sounds like pretty much the best pheasant hunting land in the state if you can get your father to play along.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :cry: song about having to sell off your land

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I made an impromptu visit to the former cat ranch (cat count back to ZERO) because it was 80 degree's out here and I was craving some warm weather.

My dad mentioned that "Nate" might have some cattle out there (he was dropping them off in January when I was pheasant hunting). Didn't see any where they were back in January but apparently he now has them in the back pasture.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 11:39:47 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
FYI that depression in the middle with the dark colored dead plants/weeds is officially classified as the "North Fork of The Solomon River"

(There was no water in it)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lady thinks she would enjoy spending the last few years of her life out here soaking up rays.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I spent all day dragging limbs to to woodpile and chainsawing them up into firewood. I usually go to "sunset hill" right at sunset but today I went up there about an hour earlier and posted up on a lawn chair with some brews and binoculars.

I saw a bunch of deer and a couple of pheasants.

Then I put down the binoculars and noticed that 3 deer were heading right towards me oblivious that I was there. I kept Milo close and they got within about 50-100 yards before noticing I was there.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I also saw some antelope this morning right across the road. I don't remember seeing any back when I was a kid in the 90's/00's but I feel like I see a couple every time I'm out here now.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Here is Milo giving her best "can I please go chase those deer" face before I made her submit like the bitch (elite dog term) she is.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 11:34:59 PM by ben ji »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Great pics and descriptions, ben ji. :Carl:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Burnt the hobby farm yesterday.

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Hill right across from Fort Riley on I-70 was burning on Friday when I drove out.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Burnt the hobby farm yesterday.

I imagine it was pretty satisfying?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Hill right across from Fort Riley on I-70 was burning on Friday when I drove out.

This made my commute home 40 minutes. Which is basically a war crime.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Totally random pix from ride around at the farm yesterday.

Antique pulleys metal and wood.  I wish I knew how these end up in our possession. I suspect the metal ones might be out of the top of a barn.  That wood one has 3 rollers so maybe a block and tackle contraption.

Copper lightening rods off the original  barn.  Those things are soft you can bend them easily.

Fly wheel with steel pipe welded to it.  How do you end up with just a fly wheel? Dad had gates hung on that to block the alley between barn and box car when we were maxed out on calves.  Going to use that for my mail box if we move to the farm.

Old weight bench I made myself 40 years ago.  Another submission for the weld bead enthusiasts.

Tater had a full day of fun.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk