Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 380206 times)

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3600 on: December 04, 2020, 07:52:30 PM »
A little Farmeo Christmas cheer... the cow ornament tree with juggalo right in the center.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3601 on: December 06, 2020, 10:46:50 AM »
Tractor tree up!

Tom

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: December 06, 2020, 11:04:19 AM »
i've never seen a porcupine in the wild.
i have! in western kansas!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: December 07, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »
https://in.reuters.com/article/usa-crops-wheat/us-farmers-plant-more-winter-wheat-as-grain-prices-rally-idINL1N2HZ02M?mod=djemlogistics_h

$6 wheat? China slurping up sorghum as quick as possible? Boomtimes on the farm again?
If China got their swine flu solved then they got lots of pigs to feed.  We knew even if China took every last bushel from South America they would still need US grain.  We have even exported to Brazil as they  are in a drought now and short on beans for their own domestic needs.

The investment thread guys can explain how the dollar is impacting this too I think.

I hope these guys planting for next year are hedging some at today's prices.

Tom

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: December 21, 2020, 10:37:37 PM »
Thinking of purchasing this large property. Obviously, would need some capital. Is the cash flow from an operation this size sufficient to service debt (and taxes) on a property like this? Plus some labor, I guess.

https://hallhall.com/property-for-sale/kansas/spring-creek-ranch/a091Y00002GvxkX/

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: December 21, 2020, 10:46:07 PM »
Thinking of purchasing this large property. Obviously, would need some capital. Is the cash flow from an operation this size sufficient to service debt (and taxes) on a property like this? Plus some labor, I guess.

https://hallhall.com/property-for-sale/kansas/spring-creek-ranch/a091Y00002GvxkX/
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, if you are the labor and know what you are doing and have the significant other equipment with you needed to operate it with no other liabilities.

Final answer: no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: December 21, 2020, 10:48:23 PM »
I obviously don’t know what your intent is but if it’s to buy it as an investment and not operate but service debt by leasing it’s a non starter IMO.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: December 21, 2020, 10:48:45 PM »

If you have read this whole thread you would know that nobody actually makes any money farming/ranching. 

All depends on how much gov money/oil/wind/farm mafia money they can bring in.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: December 21, 2020, 10:49:35 PM »

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, if you are the labor and know what you are doing and have the significant other equipment with you needed to operate it with no other liabilities.

Final answer: no

How big is the Dave family cow farm, and do you have any idea what its EBITDA typically is? Would be willing to more or less break even to pay other people to do the cow farming stuff.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: December 21, 2020, 11:28:59 PM »
that's a pretty amazing ranch.

obviously they've kept it understocked, but i'd be curious if anyone here knows what it could sustainably graze.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: December 21, 2020, 11:35:43 PM »
The Flint Hills are really beautiful

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: December 21, 2020, 11:36:18 PM »
hmm, looked into it and i guess it's not understocked.  btw, spracne, from the 2019 info i found, you'd be looking at ~ $350k in annual grazing lease income.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: December 21, 2020, 11:38:34 PM »
Also that seems really expensive for grass

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: December 22, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
the flint hills has good grass.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: December 22, 2020, 12:34:52 AM »
Having looked at purchasing farm ground

1. Farm ground appreciates really well
2. Leasing farm ground is pathetic

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: December 22, 2020, 03:47:22 AM »
Had to disk bean stubble before putting on NH3.  The renter has  Versatile 750 he used to do the job.  Cool old tractor.

Fun fact:  Versatile was the first company to produce articulated 4wd tractors.

Tom

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:57:21 AM by KST8FAN »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: December 22, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »
we had two (2) of those versatile's growing up! I think we used them until I was in like junior high. now we just have jd articulateds.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: December 22, 2020, 08:11:11 AM »
a key feature of them was their leaky AF AC system. I put so much freon in those things. the poor, poor environment.

fun thing I just remembered. this hand held freon can using deal. do you put a hose on the nob like you would? absolutely not. you puncture the entire side of the can with this jobber and then hose it into the tractor losing like 30% of it along the way somehow.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: December 22, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »
thinking back it must have seemed amazing that I was so frugal with grease tube usage but so extravagant with my freon consumption

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: December 22, 2020, 08:57:22 AM »
Had to disk bean stubble before putting on NH3.  The renter has  Versatile 750 he used to do the job.  Cool old tractor.

Fun fact:  Versatile was the first company to produce articulated 4wd tractors.

Tom

There are some old Versatile still going out there. I had a model JD 8850 when I was a kid - paired it with the 16 row JD MaxEmerge row crop planter for hours of farm play.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: December 26, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »
Flint hills hobby farming today

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: December 26, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »
Where is that at Star?

Tom

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: December 26, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
Eskridge/paxico ish
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: December 26, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
60 degrees on the cat ranch today with no wind so of course I had to watch the sunset on hay bale hill.