Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933787 times)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #3475 on: March 31, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
I think nutritional supplement conferences in Omaha.

Offline EMADUB

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: March 31, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »
Why in the world did UCLA hire somebody before talking with Gregg Marshall?

“@GrantMeech12: Was told by someone close to Marshall, that he spoke to UCLA twice this week but told them to call back after tourney run was over"

Eagle said Wichita state had not been contacted by UCLA. Sorry if luked. I am so pumped I figured out how to quote a tweet on here and look like a professional BBSer

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: March 31, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »
They set out to find the best and came back with Steve Alford

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:24 PM »
The UCLA thing is still mind boggling to me. All I can think of is:

Thad Matta
Buzz Williams
Jay Wright
Jamie Dixon
John Beilein
Sean Miller

They just spent $138MM dollars to rebuild their arena, but can't come up with an extra $10MM over the next 5 years to get one of these six before they settled on Steve Alford?  You're UCLA, step it the eff up.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: March 31, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
They set out to find the best and came back with Steve Alford

Mission definitely not accomplished.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »
Now that Marshall has reached (at least) the FF, dude has to parlay that into a big time job, right? I mean, his stock is never going to be higher. I guess a huge raise and some absurd like 15 yr  contract would be acceptable too, I guess.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
Now that Marshall has reached (at least) the FF, dude has to parlay that into a big time job, right? I mean, his stock is never going to be higher. I guess a huge raise and some absurd like 15 yr  contract would be acceptable too, I guess.

yeah, he's the new Jim Larranaga

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »
So, of the current open "big" jobs, why would he go to Minnesota, New Mexico, or USC? Minnesota is not a BB power, New Mexico tries to be, and USC? USC's last claim to fame was O.J. Mayo, and that didn't work out too well.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: April 01, 2013, 12:28:18 AM »

He's even better than the old Larranaga because he has Miami Larranaga in the back of everyone's mind.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: April 01, 2013, 06:55:04 AM »
So, of the current open "big" jobs, why would he go to Minnesota, New Mexico, or USC? Minnesota is not a BB power, New Mexico tries to be, and USC? USC's last claim to fame was O.J. Mayo, and that didn't work out too well.

Would Wichita be willing/able to pay as much as a Big 10 athletic department, for example?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: April 01, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
in a  lot of ways,  Texas  is a  better job  than UCLA

absurd

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: April 01, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
marshall isn't a jumper and won't leave for any currently open jobs
emaw

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

He's even better than the old Larranaga because he has Miami Larranaga in the back of everyone's mind.

And is younger, which I think is what kept Larranaga as Miami's B or C plan (Frank was plan F)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: April 01, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »

Would Wichita be willing/able to pay as much as a Big 10 athletic department, for example?

They can and will. He isn't leaving this season and I wouldn't doubt if he got a contract similar to the one Hoiberg just got. I don't think he will stay at WSU if he continues to win. Marshall has a world famous giant ego, even for coaches. Stevens and Smart seem very comfortable where they are. Marshall would have taken the UCLA job if Dan Guerreo was patient. Its also entirely possible that the big boosters at UCLA, who are agents BTW, didn't feel Marshall fit what they wanted.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: April 01, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
marshall isn't a jumper and won't leave for any currently open jobs

He won't leave for any of the current jobs because they aren't any good. Not sure what you mean by saying he isn't a jumper. He has interviewed for other jobs since he's been at WSU and routinely makes Royesque shows about deciding to stay at WSU and Winthrop before that, of course he stays after contract renegotiations.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »

absurd

How many is "a lot?"

I will name a few:

Better facilities
Bigger budget for recruiting (assumption)
Better private planes (assumption)
Higher pay
Lower performance goals that must be met to retain employment

catzacker

« Reply #3491 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »

They can and will. He isn't leaving this season and I wouldn't doubt if he got a contract similar to the one Hoiberg just got. I don't think he will stay at WSU if he continues to win. Marshall has a world famous giant ego, even for coaches. Stevens and Smart seem very comfortable where they are. Marshall would have taken the UCLA job if Dan Guerreo was patient. Its also entirely possible that the big boosters at UCLA, who are agents BTW, didn't feel Marshall fit what they wanted.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but how is Alford what they want wanted? 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: April 01, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »

You're asking the wrong person. They hired Alford while WSU is still playing, clearly someone there valued Alford over Marshall. Alford fits a similar mold as Jim Mora Jr.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: April 01, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »

You're asking the wrong person. They hired Alford while WSU is still playing, clearly someone there valued Alford over Marshall. Alford fits a similar mold as Jim Mora Jr.

That's a really good point.

catzacker

« Reply #3494 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »

Are they? Frat guys with decent hair, kind of jerks, decent builds. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:47 AM »

Are they? Frat guys with decent hair, kind of jerks, decent builds.

Not really successful in past, but had good rep's for some reason, and didn't get it done a decent schools.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
We'll see how Marshall ends up, but its clear not all the really good non-AQ coaches are looking to jump at their first chance. Few really started it and Smart and Stephens have followed. Altman and Larrananga are a couple that jumped, but stayed at their programs several more seasons after they peaked. If anything, they left when their non-AQ programs were on a downward trend, but still could get a decent AQ job.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

absurd

How many is "a lot?"

I will name a few:

Better facilities
Higher pay

The only one of those things that are inarguably true is the last point and that doesn't make it a better job. Coaches would commit homicide to coach at Kentucky where they will fire you after one season. Nebraska has Tim Miles. Also the recruiting budget thing isn't as big of a deal at UCLA or UT for that matter, they have quick and cheap access to many of the best players.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »

How does a coach who had success in the NFL but ultimately washed out compare to a coach who only had sporadic, mediocre success at a middling big 10 school?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »

absurd

How many is "a lot?"

I will name a few:

Better facilities
Higher pay

The only one of those things that are inarguably true is the last point and that doesn't make it a better job. Coaches would commit homicide to coach at Kentucky where they will fire you after one season. Nebraska has Tim Miles. Also the recruiting budget thing isn't as big of a deal at UCLA or UT for that matter, they have quick and cheap access to many of the best players.
I don't think saying UT has more resources than UCLA is arguable, one just needs to look at the budgets, UT's is over half what UCLA's is. 

UCLA's AD maybe a moron (his FB hire looks pretty good) and/or the agent boosters may have run a terrible search but I would bet UT has a much better coaching search and hires a better candidate when the job comes up next.

Even the quality of life in Austin may appeal to some guys over the UCLA job, not everyone wants the headaches of LA - it's not like the 4 or 5 2 to 3 mill UCLA is going to pay is enough to afford the helo that true ballers use to get around