Author Topic: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)  (Read 116606 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #750 on: April 18, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
bitb is such a prick

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 18, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »
Ugh. A candidate called me right when they started on oscar talk.  :frown:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 18, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
I did catch the recap tho. This stud wants to meet oscar first before any talk of extension.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #753 on: April 18, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
A) Ageism has nothing to do with old people exlusively, EVERYONE is ageist to some degree. It's a pretty natural tendency.

B) As for Snyder exclusively preferring older coaches? I dont think age has much to do with it. It's a secondary result of Snyder wanting people on his staff that he is very comfortable with, have experience and more importantly direct knowledge of his program, and most importantly people that he trusts. I don't think Snyder really branches out and networks much with younger coaches and assistants at coaching conventions anymore. So yeah his choices of younger assistants are basically former players. But no i don't think the actual age is a huge factor, just a byproduct

While I think your first point is a bit of oversimplification I somewhat agree with the spirit of what you're saying. The problem isn't the perception of ageism. Pan flat said it was a basis of hiring, I'd bet my car that Myers would take exception to that, and if he didn't we should. Again the younger guy has more experience as an actual D1, athletic director, a lot more.

In this case picking the older guy just because he's older is amazingly stupid because the age isn't coupled with an experience advantage. I seriously don't understand how none of you can see how dumb you guys are making General Myers out to be by giving him this excuse.

I don't know why you won't let this go. 

I didn't say I'd take Taylor over Bjork.  I didn't say Taylor was more qualified than Bjork.  I said that old guys are more comfortable being around older guys.  I look at LHC Bill Snyder's staff, full of old guys, former players, or people that share his DNA.  I look at who Meyers listens to, and that's Jon Wefald, who was notorious for preferential treatment within his circle, which was old guys. 

I guess I never realized it was controversial to say that guys in their 70's prefer the energy of a guy in his late 50's over a guy in his early 40's.  I don't care if Richard Meyers would disagree with that statement or take offense to it.  I look at all of the people on the table, who we assumed were candidates, and none of them got the job, nor were they really presumably that close.  Weiberg, Hocutt, Veatch, Bjork, etc.  All young.  Then we started hearing about people who were really in the running.  Ohio guy, Toledo guy, and Taylor.  Old guys.  crap, we even heard a rumor about Lynn Hickey for Christ's sakes.

You can have the last word on this, but the triad of power hired a guy almost 20 years their junior, and he is in his late 50's.  I think, ultimately, Taylor will be fine.  He seems to check some decent boxes, and what he did at NDSU was exceptional.  Iowa is a strong school with a good budget in a similar demographic market.  He seems like a guy who worked a really long time for a shot like this, and he's going to work his ass off, even if it's only 6-8 years.

Alright, I'm done.  Go Cats.

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 18, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
Fitz just compared us to NDSU fans.  And Gene agreed.   :facepalm:
I might just have to trade my bib overalls in for some cargo shorts.
Just told my wife she needs to take a pair of her mom jeans and cut them into a pair of shorts to fit in with the KSU female student population
titletown..lulz

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 19, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
Fitz just compared us to NDSU fans.  And Gene agreed.   :facepalm:
I might just have to trade my bib overalls in for some cargo shorts.
Just told my wife she needs to take a pair of her mom jeans and cut them into a pair of shorts to fit in with the KSU female student population

Frostbite tho!

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 19, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »
I did catch the recap tho. This stud wants to meet oscar first before any talk of extension.

Yeah, BITB tried to nail him down on the contract extension.  Gene basically said "no comment".

BITB then asked about Myers statement that oscar WOULD be extended and that it was Gene's first task on the job.  Gene replied that he hasn't even talked to Myers about oscar yet.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
Looks like we have ourselves a good cop/bad cop situation going on here.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
firegenetaylor.com is available. I should get it now.  I can't wait to sell firejohncurrie.com in about a year.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 19, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »

Yeah, BITB tried to nail him down on the contract extension.  Gene basically said "no comment".

BITB then asked about Myers statement that oscar WOULD be extended and that it was Gene's first task on the job.  Gene replied that he hasn't even talked to Myers about oscar yet.
I think that all sounds good to me. I actually don't expect him to fire him this year with where we are (unless he has a huge stud he knows he can get). I also don't care about an extenstion as long as there's no rough ridin' raise and no rough ridin' larger buy out. In fact, no buy out would be better. Because everyone knows that these extensions are A: for a good show of faith for recruiting and B: terribly at actually working for A.  As long as the extension isn't simply throwing money away, whatever.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 19, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
Do you extend the coach for the benefit of the recruits themselves or do you do it so that the coach thinks he might be able to keep his job and will actually go out and try to recruit for you?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 19, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »
https://apnews.com/3fb0a0065774402fb1216bb124bf55ac/Iowa-administrator-testifies-fired-coaches-often-gay

No idea on the timeframe of our guy Taylor coming on board and this but it something to keep an eye on.

Also she prob shouldn't have been dating her subordinate.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 20, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
Do you extend the coach for the benefit of the recruits themselves or do you do it so that the coach thinks he might be able to keep his job and will actually go out and try to recruit for you?
Interesting point, but I think more for the actual recruits and to take ammo away from the mid majors we recruit against. I would think a coach would want a job after the one he's about to be fired from and if he has one year left, he'll either try to salvage his job to recruit some players that might be willing to follow him. Either way, these types of extensions are a thin veil of confidence. God help us if it isn't.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #763 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
https://apnews.com/3fb0a0065774402fb1216bb124bf55ac/Iowa-administrator-testifies-fired-coaches-often-gay

No idea on the timeframe of our guy Taylor coming on board and this but it something to keep an eye on.

I wonder if the title of the article could be "Women coaches are often gay.  Sometimes coaches get fired?"

I usually just work under the assumption that a given women's coach is gay.  I also do this with male HGTV hosts on interior design shows.  It feels like I am rarely wrong that way.

I should also note that I personally prefer my women's coaches and HGTV male hosts to be gay.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 20, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »

Taylor came to Iowa in June 2014. This coach was fired in early August of 2014 following a 3 month investigation according to what I read.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 20, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
Gene comes to Iowa City, immediately opens up an investigation, fires coach. 

Not a great look, hope he can do the same for oscar tho

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »

I'm reading it as the investigation started at least a month before Gene came to Iowa. I'm thinking he had nothing to do with this.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »

I'm reading it as the investigation started at least a month before Gene came to Iowa. I'm thinking he had nothing to do with this.

:dubious:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 20, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »

:dunno:

https://www.revealnews.org/article/a-mans-game-inside-the-inequality-that-plagues-womens-college-sports/

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 20, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

:dunno:

https://www.revealnews.org/article/a-mans-game-inside-the-inequality-that-plagues-womens-college-sports/

i don't think he had anything to do with it either bruh

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 20, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
i don't think he had anything to do with it either bruh

Got it. I wasn't sure if :dubious: was :dubious: of my statement there or not. :cheers:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 20, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »

I wonder if the title of the article could be "Women coaches are often gay.  Sometimes coaches get fired?"

I usually just work under the assumption that a given women's coach is gay.  I also do this with male HGTV hosts on interior design shows.  It feels like I am rarely wrong that way.

I should also note that I personally prefer my women's coaches and HGTV male hosts to be gay.

The fact that you're comfortable typing this is the biggest indictment of the gE echo chamber being amazingly hypocritical. That's pretty deplorable.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 20, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
Read an article on the struggles of being a lesbian athlete and coming out by Kate Fagan. Someday I'll buy her book.

Anywho when a female athlete comes out as a lesbian she is reinforcing a stereotype. When a male athlete does, he is breaking a stereotype.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
Read an article on the struggles of being a lesbian athlete and coming out by Kate Fagan. Someday I'll buy her book.

Anywho when a female athlete comes out as a lesbian she is reinforcing a stereotype. When a male athlete does, he is breaking a stereotype.

That's sadly true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 20, 2017, 11:27:40 AM »
Yeah. I hadn't really thought about it like that until I read the article about her book.

She's my favorite on ATH. Also, her girlfriend is from Lawrence. They arw bothe adorable follows on IG.