Author Topic: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)  (Read 117110 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #725 on: April 17, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
I love KSU and am cool with paying talent if that means keeping/making KSU competitive, but am pretty jealous I can't work in a guaranteed 10% raise each year for me.

My job is like that for the first 5 years at least. :woot:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New AD List (acceptable- weiberg, hocutt. not acceptable-veatch)
« Reply #727 on: April 17, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »

Put Meyers, Snyder, and Wefald in a room, and sure, I can see them liking a guy in his late 50's over a guy in his early 40's.

And, yes, I believe the selection committee picked some names and Meyers decided with heavy input from Wefald and Snyder because common sense.

Why? I had no idea those guys were ageist. I would have thought three successful people would have gotten where they are without caring about someone's age. Did I misread Bjork's wiki page? I didn't know he was 24 years old.

where did the 24 years old come in? pan said late 50's over early 40's. also, I can very easily imagine the scenario that pan described happening and bet it probably did. bill, Meyers and weefer. three guys well into their 70's that felt pretty comfortable with the older gentleman from north Dakota/iowa.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 17, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »

Put Meyers, Snyder, and Wefald in a room, and sure, I can see them liking a guy in his late 50's over a guy in his early 40's.

And, yes, I believe the selection committee picked some names and Meyers decided with heavy input from Wefald and Snyder because common sense.

Why? I had no idea those guys were ageist. I would have thought three successful people would have gotten where they are without caring about someone's age. Did I misread Bjork's wiki page? I didn't know he was 24 years old.

where did the 24 years old come in? pan said late 50's over early 40's. also, I can very easily imagine the scenario that pan described happening and bet it probably did. bill, Meyers and weefer. three guys well into their 70's that felt pretty comfortable with the older gentleman from north Dakota/iowa.

Well the inference is either those guys are ageists or Bjork is green. This would have represented the third major athletic department Bjork would have been in charge of. He's been in college athletics administration for 20 years. So no, he isn't green and I'm guessing Meyers can read a resume. So either pan is accusing Meyers of being an ageist or pan made his post ignorant of Bjork's experience.

I'm guessing Bjork not getting the job had a lot more to do with him being in charge of a department in pretty serious NCAA trouble and absolutely nothing to do with his age relative to Taylor's.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #729 on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »

Well the inference is either those guys are ageists or Bjork is green. This would have represented the third major athletic department Bjork would have been in charge of. He's been in college athletics administration for 20 years. So no, he isn't green and I'm guessing Meyers can read a resume. So either pan is accusing Meyers of being an ageist or pan made his post ignorant of Bjork's experience.

I'm guessing Bjork not getting the job had a lot more to do with him being in charge of a department in pretty serious NCAA trouble and absolutely nothing to do with his age relative to Taylor's.

I've never met a single person over 70, regardless of success level, that isn't ageist to some degree.

We can debate severity, but yes, I believe there was at least mild ageism at play.  I thought I was pretty clear on that.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #730 on: April 17, 2017, 12:58:43 PM »
And as empirical evidence, I submit every assistant coaching hire Bill has made since he's come back, excluding people who played for him (which Bjork did not).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 17, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
Keitzman just said that Snyder talked to him over the phone before the hire was made, so yeah it seems like Snyder did interview him.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 17, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »
Well if these guys hired Taylor over Bjork because of his age, then I guess that's what they did, it's unfortunate our university is once again being run like the family farm but here we are. I guess I wanted to give Myers too much credit.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 17, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »
#FAMILY farm

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 17, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
A) Ageism has nothing to do with old people exlusively, EVERYONE is ageist to some degree. It's a pretty natural tendency.

B) As for Snyder exclusively preferring older coaches? I dont think age has much to do with it. It's a secondary result of Snyder wanting people on his staff that he is very comfortable with, have experience and more importantly direct knowledge of his program, and most importantly people that he trusts. I don't think Snyder really branches out and networks much with younger coaches and assistants at coaching conventions anymore. So yeah his choices of younger assistants are basically former players. But no i don't think the actual age is a huge factor, just a byproduct

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 17, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »
A) Ageism has nothing to do with old people exlusively, EVERYONE is ageist to some degree. It's a pretty natural tendency.

B) As for Snyder exclusively preferring older coaches? I dont think age has much to do with it. It's a secondary result of Snyder wanting people on his staff that he is very comfortable with, have experience and more importantly direct knowledge of his program, and most importantly people that he trusts. I don't think Snyder really branches out and networks much with younger coaches and assistants at coaching conventions anymore. So yeah his choices of younger assistants are basically former players. But no i don't think the actual age is a huge factor, just a byproduct

I like this guy.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 17, 2017, 07:43:54 PM »
I'm ageist against teens

Offline LeggoKatZ

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 17, 2017, 08:35:03 PM »

The Big Train

« Reply #738 on: April 17, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Robert looks very skeptical

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 17, 2017, 08:44:58 PM »
#FAMILY farm

#Funny farm.

Just need to change our mascot to yellow dog.
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 17, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/DScottFritchen/status/853991085965799425

we just bought our AD at dollar general store

I'd gave to look at overall numbers. But first initial salary starting out? Hardly getting a guy on the cheap. ..

But my personal opinion is if you are starting to approach paying ANY AD closer to $1 million/ yr range you are starting to overpay.

Start throwing big, big money at an AD and i'd prob argue  you are spending irresponsibly.

Hell i bet , blind guessing, Taylors starting salary is prob pretty close to top 50 nationally, or somewhere around there. It's competitive and i have no doubt if we really wanted to could pay a lot more. But again. Nothing wrong with be responsible with administrators salaries

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 17, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
#FAMILY farm

#Funny farm.

Just need to change our mascot to yellow dog.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 17, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
i don't give a crap about how much we're paying him. first impression he seems down to earth and not socially awkward, which is an improvement.

my only concern is that he is going to SLTH the crap out of his hires/fires, and that includes retaining Oscar even if we don't make the tourney next year.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 17, 2017, 09:43:38 PM »
The fact that this upper fifties year old dude was out busting his balls for the oppy to run a p5 school is pretty great. I would have rather had weiberg but I like how hardcore next door neighbor dad seems.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 17, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »

While I think your first point is a bit of oversimplification I somewhat agree with the spirit of what you're saying. The problem isn't the perception of ageism. Pan flat said it was a basis of hiring, I'd bet my car that Myers would take exception to that, and if he didn't we should. Again the younger guy has more experience as an actual D1, athletic director, a lot more.

In this case picking the older guy just because he's older is amazingly stupid because the age isn't coupled with an experience advantage. I seriously don't understand how none of you can see how dumb you guys are making General Myers out to be by giving him this excuse.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 18, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
we need to give our athletic department a ball job, our current balls are getting way to saggy and they need a lift.  we need a younger vision, not snyder, wefald, and myers who will all be dead in the next decade. that's not how you run a business.  it's a good old boys club and they're being greedy and playing loose with the future of the ksu cats u.  and now this old balls taylor dude added to the mix.  succession planning is a real thing that exists in this world. 

someone is going to point to veatch and i'm going to reply that unless he gets a brain transplant, he is not the future of our athletic dept.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 18, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
Age is just a number.  I don't think of our leaders as old.  I Just think of them as normal people with really high numbers who don't have long to live.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 18, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »
He's on with BITB right meow.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 18, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »
what's he saying about DeBruce's contract?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 18, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
All Snyder stuff right now. Taking BITB's softballs and being politically correct so far.