Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 184905 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #800 on: July 11, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
I think he like hurt my back on one of his hits. You should get a good sweat in. What kind of you shoes for outdoor bball? I think if I was playing outdoors a lot I'd get straight up tennis shoes (like I considered for indoor but decided against).

i wear my indoor shoes. we only play outdoors for about 8 weeks out of the year, and its on a pretty smooth court. i cant wear tennis shoes, id roll my ankle. if i have to buy new basketball shoes next season, so be it.

I only use my indoor shoes for indoor.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #801 on: July 11, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
you'll tear up indoor soles on outdoor courts, true story

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »
mich, how old is this guy? some of those old fucks love to throw elbows around  :dubious:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 11, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »
mich, how old is this guy? some of those old fucks love to throw elbows around  :dubious:

late 20's to mid 30's.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 11, 2013, 10:57:17 PM »
And we actually have this guy that plays that's in his 60's and built like a brick shithouse and fouls the crap out of people but can't play. And his fouls are usually things like illegal screens or taking away layups. He doesn't run into you just to run into you.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
So I've played with two different Indian-Americans, and both have been hilariously cocky loudmouths. It's quite entertaining, really. Also I jammed my thumb really bad today going for a steal. Can't do much with it now. :frown:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 08, 2013, 12:18:57 PM »
http://devour.com/video/pickup-basketball-stereotypes/

kind of funny

I hate walk the ball up point guard guy

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 08, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 08, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »

kind of funny

i hate player coach

the worst. today there was a guy walking the ball up the court saying "set some off-ball screens". :sdeek:

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 08, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »

kind of funny

i hate player coach

the worst. today there was a guy walking the ball up the court saying "set some off-ball screens". :sdeek:
which one are you mich?
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: November 08, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »

kind of funny

i hate player coach

which one are you mich?

looks can be deceiving guy but opposite. My abilities are always initially underestimated.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 08, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

kind of funny

i hate player coach

which one are you mich?

looks can be deceiving guy but opposite. My abilities are always initially underestimated.
does the oldest/fattest/shortest guy on the other team usually call out to guard you?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 08, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »

kind of funny

i hate player coach

which one are you mich?

does the oldest/fattest/shortest guy on the other team usually call out to guard you?

if they don't know me, yeah. and then I school the ever loving crap out of them.

Offline paulnyakatura

• Fan
  • #JazzBand @paulnyakatura
    • View Profile
    • PaulNyakatura.com
« Reply #813 on: November 10, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »
@ Ahearn they only play by 1's....

Stud rule for a stud gym

Offline paulnyakatura

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • PaulNyakatura.com
« Reply #814 on: November 10, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »

kind of funny

i hate player coach

which one are you mich?

if they don't know me, yeah. and then I school the ever loving crap out of them.

Same with me. I've been told on several occasions that I look "uncoordinated." Also, I'm the "my bad" guy.

Offline paulnyakatura

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • PaulNyakatura.com
« Reply #815 on: November 10, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »

Yea, but the guy who shoots it, waits to see if it goes in and then calls a touch foul when he misses is terrible.

WORST PEOPLE ON EARTH

Offline paulnyakatura

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • PaulNyakatura.com
« Reply #816 on: November 10, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
I live in Midtown KC (near Hyde Park). Anyone know of any courts, churches or gyms (preferably free) near me? Like walking distance kinda close. I'll walk over a mile to hoop btw.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 10, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
I live in Midtown KC (near Hyde Park). Anyone know of any courts, churches or gyms (preferably free) near me? Like walking distance kinda close. I'll walk over a mile to hoop btw.

Sion lower school has some leagues. Not sure about pickup.  Umkc Rec - not free.

Offline paulnyakatura

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • PaulNyakatura.com
« Reply #818 on: November 10, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »
Thanks, Belvis. I'm like 2 blocks from Sion. I'll look into it.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 10, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
Bump.

A new guy started playing recently and he is a combo of player-coach and foul guy. He's pretty good but always tries the most difficult pass and then coaches his teammate that didn't catch it or adequately seal the defender. He never really calls fouls, just constantly makes comments like "you kinda got me but let's play".

He said something about me hooking him with my off hand while driving to the basket. I probably did, so I told him to call a foul or quit bitching. He told me he was just saying it was a good move. He was full of crap (he was obviously bitching about it) but i didn't know how to respond.  :dunno:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 10, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
Bump.

A new guy started playing recently and he is a combo of player-coach and foul guy. He's pretty good but always tries the most difficult pass and then coaches his teammate that didn't catch it or adequately seal the defender. He never really calls fouls, just constantly makes comments like "you kinda got me but let's play".

He said something about me hooking him with my off hand while driving to the basket. I probably did, so I told him to call a foul or quit bitching. He told me he was just saying it was a good move. He was full of crap (he was obviously bitching about it) but i didn't know how to respond.  :dunno:
Elbow is a good response.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
My buddy has been helping coach an 8th grade team and every once in a while we get a group together and scrimmage them for practice. We usually play at a 50-75% level to keep it fair but one time I went all out and swatted a layup by their pre-prebuscent(sp) point guard. I felt like a huge stud but also kinda bad.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 21, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
The other day a guy who you could tell was kind of a prickish guy showed up wearing a rec league shirt - the name of the team was the "East Bay Apes". Also, he chews gum constantly and tried to fight someone.

Also, we had a former Notre Dame/NFL player start playing. I initially thought he was just a big Notre Dame fan until someone told me his full name. :lol:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »
this thread needs to pick back up.

two weeks ago a new guy started playing with us. hes probably 35, but still pretty quick despite being very out of shape. so I start guarding him and he shoots a couple threes in the first game that aren't even close. second game he goes probably 1/3 from deep and gets to the rim once with a floater. third game im playing 5 feet off him at the arc daring him to shoot the 3. he makes the first one... then the second one, then a third one he shoots off balance with my hand in his face and drains it. guy on my team yells at me to guard him out there, and im all like ok but hes not really a good shooter, just got a little lucky. next two are airballs and a third one he banks in to win the game. guy on my team demands he guard him the next game. they get in a shouting match over a "cheap foul" where the guy was on a two on one and got wrapped up before passing to the open guy for a layup. everyone is just  :facepalm: shutup you two. they go back and forth and back and forth for the next few games until its pretty obvious theyre just playing 1v1 with the rest of us watching them foul each other any time one gets to the basket. finally the guy gets a 1 on 1 against me running side by side and I get a lot of ball while he goes up but hes running out of control and slams into the mat at the end of the court. he calls a foul and I don't really argue because I did get a lot of body and its a foul, but the guy on my team starts an uproar and picks up the ball and throws it at him and calls him a bitch. we had a break up the fight between them...  :lol:

people getting mad over pickup basketball, I tell ya.

neither were invited back this week.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 07, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
you issue invites for your pickup game? That sounds elite. I've never gotten an invite to a pickup game.

My normal game is admittedly pretty slappy in the paint - if you bring it there, be ready to take a shot. Well anyway this new guy (who chews this gross fruity gum and wore an East Bay Apes shirt) got the ball and a guy who hadn't been guarding him comes at him hard and fouls him. Not a big deal, but East Bay Ape slams the ball and was like, "Every. Damn. Time you foul me." and kind of pouting. And the guy that fouled him is a really nice guy and was like "Jesus Christ I haven't even touched you all game and this is like my second time here".  Was pretty LOL.

I know we've had this discussion, but what does your game do for tie ups? I think it should automatically go to the defense, but in our game it goes to whoever yells "First!" first. It's a pretty LOL rule and I just randomly yell "First!" if there's a possibility of a tie up even if I'm not involved in the play. All the guys are like, "That's a bullshit first call!" and I'm like "Every first call is a bullshit first call!" and just kind of laugh and let them have the ball.