Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 184745 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #775 on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »
sometimes, to prove i dont take the game too seriously i will smoke a cigarette on the court

:lol:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #776 on: May 10, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
I played today for the first time in forever. You think you are in decent shape but playing full court bball is a lot different.. woof.
Also saw a couple members of F14 but was never able to go to their court and say 'ello

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 10, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
played last night. actually starting to get in better shape, shot the rock pretty well but i have a real problem with helping on defense too much. i get a lot of blocks from helping the guy playing down low on my team but i also end up letting some scrub that im guarding shoot a few wide open jumpers. feel like its a pretty decent trade off?  :dunno:

also, we play 1's and 2's to 11 and had a game go 18-16 last night. i feel like once its 11-11 it should be next bucket wins not win by 2. we also play you cant win on a 2 if its tied there so it went extra long.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #778 on: May 10, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
played last night. actually starting to get in better shape, shot the rock pretty well but i have a real problem with helping on defense too much. i get a lot of blocks from helping the guy playing down low on my team but i also end up letting some scrub that im guarding shoot a few wide open jumpers. feel like its a pretty decent trade off?  :dunno:

also, we play 1's and 2's to 11 and had a game go 18-16 last night. i feel like once its 11-11 it should be next bucket wins not win by 2. we also play you cant win on a 2 if its tied there so it went extra long.

dumb scoring rules, but I think your tradeoff is probably ok. it depends, I guess. All the regulars in my game know who to help off of and who to stick to. Makes it more challenging imo. Because everyone leaves me wide open when they haven't seen me play.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 10, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »
No 2 point winners is unbelievably dumb,  those are the best shots in pick up basketball

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: May 10, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
No 2 point winners is unbelievably dumb,  those are the best shots in pick up basketball

yeah i pulled up at like 13-13 and drained one and then the other team got a bucket to make it 15-14 and then we missed and they scored again. just a stupid rule... dont really see why you can make a 2 point bucket but not win on it. its tougher to make.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 10, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
I don't even like "win by 2". Just end the damn game.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 10, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »

yeah i pulled up at like 13-13 and drained one and then the other team got a bucket to make it 15-14 and then we missed and they scored again. just a stupid rule... dont really see why you can make a 2 point bucket but not win on it. its tougher to make.
Is there anything more fun than getting that deep three up when it is 9-9, calling out "Game" and watching it go in?  NOPE!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
@ Ahearn they only play by 1's....

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 10, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »
Last week I was on defense and one of the guys on offense flashed to the paint (not the guy i was guarding) and had an easy layup. I saw it coming and came to help but it was too late so i let it go. This other guy on my team starts yelling at me to "HARD FOUL HARD FOUL" afterwards. GMAFB takes it too serious guy.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #785 on: May 11, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

Well that's pretty stupid

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 11, 2013, 11:36:30 PM »
Partially tore my ACL in a game two weeks ago.  Just a simple floater in the lane, landed on my right foot, knee gave out.  Sucks. Surgery in the near future.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 12, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »
Partially tore my ACL in a game two weeks ago.  Just a simple floater in the lane, landed on my right foot, knee gave out.  Sucks. Surgery in the near future.
Are you old and decrepit? If not, please ignore this question. TIA

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #788 on: May 12, 2013, 12:57:36 AM »

That sucks. That's why I rarely jump.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 12, 2013, 06:17:51 AM »
sounds like some gE friends may need to start doing some daily lunges.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 12, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
28 and full of life.  Unlucky.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
Changed it up and played the night game. Won the name on the board lotto and got on with this 6-6 20 year-old black dude who could hit jumpers and post up like a beast and we won like 8 straight games. But the real highlight was this Russian guy on my team who would swear really loudly in Russian when he missed a shot. It was a joy.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29:14 AM »
that sounds pretty great, mich!

the other day the game was 10-9 my team (play to 11) and i had beaten my man along the baseline and as i went up for the layup another guy just grabbed me and wrapped up so i couldnt even get a shot up. i was kind of torn because it was a good idea to foul but at the same time super rough ridin' cheap. what did i do? called for the ball on the inbound, gave the ball to the guys man who fouled me, and set a super wide moving screen on fouling guy as my teammate blew by and made a wide open layup for the game. he just kind of laughed and said "fair enough"  :D

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
wednesday was probably the best pickup day of my life. I was scoring like crazy off the dribble and in traffic. Left hand, right hand, from the baseline, the elbow, the wing. Felt great.

What also felt great is I schooled this Ivy League kid named "Tristan" who has dominated games before. Not today, Tristan! (Ivy League Kids have names like Tristan and have really great mechanics because of great coaching and are usually pretty good and very pleasant.)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »
wednesday was probably the best pickup day of my life. I was scoring like crazy off the dribble and in traffic. Left hand, right hand, from the baseline, the elbow, the wing. Felt great.

What also felt great is I schooled this Ivy League kid named "Tristan" who has dominated games before. Not today, Tristan! (Ivy League Kids have names like Tristan and have really great mechanics because of great coaching and are usually pretty good and very pleasant.)

i'm going to find this tristan kid that lives in san fran and show him this thread.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 13, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »

i'm going to find this tristan kid that lives in san fran and show him this thread.

He knows what happened.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 11, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
welp, this tristan kid was playing too hard and screwed up his ankle diving for a loose ball or something. oh well.

Had a new guy show up that plays waaaaaayyyy too rough. like, not making basketball plays, just giving you random forearm shivers to the back or lowering his shoulder into you on rebounds. (and I play pretty rough myself, but it's usually trying to get position or keep someone out of the lane or something - this guy seems like he just wants to play fullback). It's weird because he seems like a nice guy and not a dickhead at all. Not sure how to deal with it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 11, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
ts and ps, mich.

im playing tonight outdoors. its supposed to be like 95 or something.  :don'tcare:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 11, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
I think he like hurt my back on one of his hits. You should get a good sweat in. What kind of you shoes for outdoor bball? I think if I was playing outdoors a lot I'd get straight up tennis shoes (like I considered for indoor but decided against).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 11, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
I think he like hurt my back on one of his hits. You should get a good sweat in. What kind of you shoes for outdoor bball? I think if I was playing outdoors a lot I'd get straight up tennis shoes (like I considered for indoor but decided against).

i wear my indoor shoes. we only play outdoors for about 8 weeks out of the year, and its on a pretty smooth court. i cant wear tennis shoes, id roll my ankle. if i have to buy new basketball shoes next season, so be it.