Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4093680 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33375 on: July 01, 2022, 02:23:45 PM »
Started a thread over a year ago on KSO about a PAC-Big12 merger. 

I was roundly ridiculed. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33376 on: July 01, 2022, 02:24:53 PM »
Looking at the big picture we could absolutely destroy the PAC and ACC if we play our cards right.
To what end though?  Destroying the PAC and ACC won't help us get into the SEC or BIG.  The right cards for KSU and the Big XII to play (IMO) are to solidify the 2nd tier of college football, which means helping solidify the other conferences left with us.

If we are going to be part of the 2nd tier of college football we might as well have the best 2nd tier teams we can.  We can be the SEC of the 2nd tier.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33377 on: July 01, 2022, 02:33:55 PM »
Guys, no one is charge at the Big12. The Big12 isn’t doing anything besides waiting to see if the PAC wants pick off a few of our members.

The commissioner works for the board of governors, bub.

I mean the Big12 as a whole, not just the conference. There are 8 CEOs currently in the conference who will be here in 2025. KU’s is looking for an out. Ours is new & has no clout with the others.  There’s no organizing force. There’s no one to have the back-channel communications with prospective PAC members. No one from any PAC school is going to care to talk to the president of Baylor or Texas Tech or West Virginia.

Even if the commissioner works for the board of governors, they still have a job of putting forward a future cohesive plan to present to others. Bowlsby wasn’t sitting in the hallway while the board of governors talked with our media partners to determine the impacts of potential adds.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33378 on: July 01, 2022, 02:35:14 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Better chance of getting a conference team in the playoffs if we're the clear #3 conference. Like daris said, it's more fun to watch college football playoffs if there is more of a connection with it.

I just like the look of the conference with UA, ASU, UU, CU better than without.

I've never understood blindly chasing money, but it's ultimately the name of the game here. And I'd rather kill than be killed.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33379 on: July 01, 2022, 02:37:12 PM »
Is there anyone out there thinking we were going to the SEC or BiG outside of gE'ing?

If Notre Dame goes to the BiG, then the BiG is picking up Stanford, Washington and Oregon.   To round out their western bloc.   They'll have raided all of the PAC's best while adding a Western school with ND similarities. 

Our new guy can solidify the best second tier Power conference.   The ACC is going to implode as well.   My guess is UNC/Virginia to the BiG, and Clemson/FSU to the SEC.  I'll say it again, Sankey would be a fool to expand outside of the Southeast. 

Our new guy can then put together a very good Power Conference #3.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33380 on: July 01, 2022, 02:43:02 PM »
I would think Miami/FSU gets into the SEC as well

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #33381 on: July 01, 2022, 02:43:32 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Better chance of getting a conference team in the playoffs if we're the clear #3 conference.

My working assumption is that there will be no playoff slots available for teams outside of the BIG and SEC. 

In that case being the #3 conference is about as meaningful as being the best conference in FCS.  Might as well focus on making it the most fun conference, with the most fun games (which I think would be against regional rivals). 

If the BIG and SEC do split away, I would prefer the Big XII to actually slim down and lose enough teams to have a true round-robin schedule again.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33382 on: July 01, 2022, 02:44:15 PM »

Not unless Florida gets a severed horse head in its bed.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33383 on: July 01, 2022, 02:47:25 PM »

A&M just got one.  Those two programs aren’t going to be on the outside looking in, no way.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33384 on: July 01, 2022, 02:48:40 PM »

The SEC obviously told A&M to suck eggs with Texas - not sure if they'd do the same to a long-time member like Florida.

To me, the SEC should go after UNC and Virginia first. Clemson and FSU will always be available whenever they want them. But, why not try and beat the Big Ten to the punch...

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33385 on: July 01, 2022, 02:49:40 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Better chance of getting a conference team in the playoffs if we're the clear #3 conference. Like daris said, it's more fun to watch college football playoffs if there is more of a connection with it.

I just like the look of the conference with UA, ASU, UU, CU better than without.

I've never understood blindly chasing money, but it's ultimately the name of the game here. And I'd rather kill than be killed.

In that case just merge the two conferences

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33386 on: July 01, 2022, 02:50:47 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Better chance of getting a conference team in the playoffs if we're the clear #3 conference.

My working assumption is that there will be no playoff slots available for teams outside of the BIG and SEC. 

I don't think the push to expand the playoff is going to lose any momentum. And if there is some team with a relatively great record from a #3 conference, I don't think they'd be excluded.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33387 on: July 01, 2022, 02:53:20 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Yeah. Share television rights and have each conference champ play each other in January for the national championship.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33388 on: July 01, 2022, 02:53:32 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Yeah, something like this works for me, too.

https://twitter.com/dustinp_/status/1542937131445850113

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #33389 on: July 01, 2022, 02:55:15 PM »
The 'playoffs' are going to be the winners of each division (I suspect each conference will split into four divisions) in the SEC and BIG playing each other, with the champion of each conference playoff meeting up in a final championship game.

The SEC and BIG won't play any meaningful games outside of P2.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33390 on: July 01, 2022, 02:55:38 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Yeah, something like this works for me, too.

https://twitter.com/dustinp_/status/1542937131445850113

Problem with this model is UO,UW and Stanford are going to the big 10

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #33391 on: July 01, 2022, 02:59:59 PM »
The 'playoffs' are going to be the winners of each division (I suspect each conference will split into four divisions) in the SEC and BIG playing each other, with the champion of each conference playoff meeting up in a final championship game.

I recommend after they do this and declare national champions, the others start a different playoff and crown the winner "world champions".
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33392 on: July 01, 2022, 03:01:18 PM »

I recommend after they do this and declare national champions, the others start a different playoff and crown the winner "world champions".

Yes, this sounds good to me.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33393 on: July 01, 2022, 03:02:45 PM »
I bet the PAC is back-channeling Houston & KU. KU will want it. No clue on Houston. I don’t know who else the PAC can add that makes sense. Houston is probably iffy and that’s their only option for 12 with KU. The only other combo that’s plausible is KU/ISU, but that’s a money drain.

I’m going back/forth at what they do because both staying at 10 & adding KU plus one more both seem like terrible ideas. No way money wise they can add more than 2 out of the Big12.

There’s no good options for anyone here.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33394 on: July 01, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »

You think the Big 10 and SEC will break away from the CFP and do their own thing?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #33395 on: July 01, 2022, 03:07:21 PM »
Yes, I think that's the end game. 

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33396 on: July 01, 2022, 03:11:45 PM »

This thing tends to runs in TV contract cycles. I don't think that happens in the next cycle. At the earliest it would be the on after that, sometime around when the ACC GOR ends in 2035. So somewhere around 10 years from now when this thread will be college aged

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33397 on: July 01, 2022, 03:30:15 PM »
Form 2 Leagues, one with the big 10 and SEC, the other with the ACC, Big12, and PAC.

Each league has there own playoff to find the champ, then play a Super Bowl between leagues. Think AFL - NFL of the 60s

Ditch the NCAA.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33398 on: July 01, 2022, 03:31:49 PM »
Form 2 Leagues, one with the big 10 and SEC, the other with the ACC, Big12, and PAC.

Each league has there own playoff to find the champ, then play a Super Bowl between leagues. Think AFL - NFL of the 60s

Ditch the NCAA.

No, just let the SEC and big 10 do their own thing and don't acknowledge their fake champion. We crown our own true champion.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33399 on: July 01, 2022, 03:47:36 PM »
I 100% think this is accurate. I’d go further and say that those two conferences break away in more than just football.