Date: 26/04/24 - 03:48 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Non-Major Tourist Cities  (Read 2160 times)

February 22, 2010, 01:54:38 AM
Read 2160 times

royalswild

• Cub

I'm going to start a list for fellow Ksufans that are planning vacations.  What I meant by Non-Major Tourist Cities is tourist cities that aren't above a population of 150,000 people.  More or less, examples are what I will list.

Branson, Missouri

Pigeon Forge Tennessee, (Gatlinburg) Tennessee

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Niagara Falls, ON

Rapid City, SD

February 22, 2010, 08:00:00 AM
Reply #1

olde fella

• Cub

Boy Howdy those are some great places. Branson, I spent a month there one night.

February 22, 2010, 08:11:39 AM
Reply #2

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Many of our vacations are to National Parks, Rare Visions and Roadside Revelations, etc.

I'd add Duluth, MN to the list.  You have Duluth's Canal Park area, Lake Superior with its North Shore and many state parks on North Shore Drive.  Most of which have waterfalls.  Lighthouses at Two Harbors and Split Rock for those of you who like lighthouses (like me).

Springfield, IL offers the Lincoln historical areas and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.  If you are into Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, visit the Dana-Thomas House.

As royalswild mentioned, Rapid City is a wonderful base to explore the Black Hills.  You have Mt. Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Devils Tower, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave and other caves.  The Badlands and Wall Drug are East of Rapid City.  If you are into motorcycles, the Sturgis during 'Bike' week in August is where you want to be.  Otherwise, it is best to plan around this week.

I'm not so much into Branson, but it does pack a bunch of attractions.  Eureka Springs, Arkansas is fairly close as well.

Wisconsin Dells, is like Branson on steroids...  Ride the 'Ducks' and do the Upper Dells boat tour.  Circus World Museum at Baraboo is close by as well.  

Lots to do at Niagara Falls.  Just don't go over the falls in a barrel !

I love the smell of peat in the evening.  That smell, you know that earthy smell...  Smells like...whisky !

Funditus Classless

February 22, 2010, 08:13:32 AM
Reply #3

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Boy Howdy those are some great places. Branson, I spent a month there one night.

Different stokes, yoga...

I love the smell of peat in the evening.  That smell, you know that earthy smell...  Smells like...whisky !

Funditus Classless

February 22, 2010, 08:23:39 AM
Reply #4

Dirty Sanchez

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Powertard Un-approved

February 22, 2010, 09:13:28 AM
Reply #5

mikeycat

• Cub

Eureka Springs AR

February 22, 2010, 10:21:00 AM
Reply #6

Maccat

• Cub

You are right cyclist, Dulth is really pretty cool.  Never realized those ships carrying iron ore were that big.  How in the world the edmond fitzgarld went down is pretty amazing.

February 22, 2010, 12:28:41 PM
Reply #7

Dirty Sanchez

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Powertard Un-approved
You are right cyclist, Dulth is really pretty cool.  Never realized those ships carrying iron ore were that big.  How in the world the edmond fitzgarld went down is pretty amazing.

This is how:

the gales of November came slashing
When afternoon came it was freezing rain
In the face of a hurricane West Wind

February 22, 2010, 12:30:34 PM
Reply #8

Maccat

• Cub

Stand corrected. Thanks dirty.

February 22, 2010, 02:00:30 PM
Reply #9

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains
Stand corrected. Thanks dirty.

Here is the Wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald#Final_voyage_and_wreck

And a youtube of Gordon Lightfoot:

A tribute to the 29 men who died November 10, 1975, aboard the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior. ---- Announcer (0:04): An air and sea search is continuing for possible survivors of the Edmund F...   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

Funditus Classless

February 24, 2010, 07:58:30 AM
Reply #10

MENSACat

• Cub

February 24, 2010, 02:13:27 PM
Reply #11

dobbie4ksu

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    KSUfans.com will become the #1 Kstate sports BBS!
How the hell did Council Grove Kansas not make this list you all should be ashamed, lol hahahahahaha
"I don't know if I will be able to knock out as many teeth as big Lu, but I hope to pick up on the scoring and rebounding aspects." Wally Judge talking about being a biig of the future for KSU!

February 24, 2010, 02:16:14 PM
Reply #12

royalswild

• Cub

Junction City, KS and Topeka, KS definitely makes the list as well.

March 05, 2010, 07:35:14 PM
Reply #13

88wildcat

• Cub

Durango, Colorado

Moab, Utah

Jackson, Wyoming