Date: 30/04/24 - 02:51 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 3925 times)

July 28, 2009, 06:39:24 PM
Read 3925 times

sonofdaxjones

• All American

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/07/how-much-revenue-did-your-favorite-fbs-school-take-in-in-200708-this-chart-will-tell-you.html

Just a note on fellow Land Grant School NC State, they don't count scholarship, endowment and facilities giving as revenue . . . that is all handled by the Wolfpack Club and those numbers would not appear on NC State's athletic financial statements . . . if they did, you could increase NC State by about $15-$20 million.   Some schools also count one time "restricted" endowment giving as "revenue" . . . like a certain school in the Big 12 for example. 

July 28, 2009, 07:07:25 PM
Reply #1

kcchiefdav

• Cub

• Personal Text
    I think therefore I think I'm hungry
Is the interesting part coming in a later post?

July 28, 2009, 07:47:07 PM
Reply #2

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Sure is . . . forgot to mention a certain Big 12 School also counts $3 million in fees taken from students as "revenue". 

July 28, 2009, 09:37:38 PM
Reply #3

BMWJhawk

Why can't you just admit that ku has more money and financial resources than K-State, 'Pad? 

:flush:

July 28, 2009, 09:39:14 PM
Reply #4

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
Great, it looks like BMW took Dax's bait.  Let the slap fight commence.

July 28, 2009, 10:07:57 PM
Reply #5

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Ben . . . never have said ku didn't, but I still LOL at how tardville clings to the Equity in Athletics numbers like they're gospel.

Still think it's pretty sad that an athletic department showing those kinds of revenues (albeit it is a bit of fun with numbers) that takes $3 million a year in compulsory fees from the students (voted on in what we all know are sham "student body" elections where about 1/4 to 1/5 of the student body even votes), who just got hit with another tuition increase, at a school that's cutting budgets right and left,  has a $200 million dollar maintenance backlog,  the endowment is down 25% and academic scholarships are likely going to be cut. 

But at every turn Lew sends Jim Macaroni out to play the old "tin cup" routine . . . "it's the entire school's job to make sure we stay Title 9 compliant . . . we can't afford to supplement faculty staff tickets . . . did you see that bonus Lew just got?"

Then to top it all off they're renovating Jayhawk Towers so ku athletics can "impress" athletes . . . with bond money that will be paid off with housing revenues derived from ALL ku on campus housing residence . . . so emo boy over in one of the dumps who doesn't care about athletics is helping to pay for a nice place for Sherron Collins to rub his unit all over some poor minimum wage ku staffer.

It's getting to be like what an old President at ou said . . . "we want a university the football team can be proud of". 

Sad . . .

July 28, 2009, 10:17:03 PM
Reply #6

MCSjayhawk

• Cub

Ben . . . never have said ku didn't, but I still LOL at how tardville clings to the Equity in Athletics numbers like they're gospel.

Still think it's pretty sad that an athletic department showing those kinds of revenues (albeit it is a bit of fun with numbers) that takes $3 million a year in compulsory fees from the students (voted on in what we all know are sham "student body" elections where about 1/4 to 1/5 of the student body even votes), who just got hit with another tuition increase, at a school that's cutting budgets right and left,  has a $200 million dollar maintenance backlog,  the endowment is down 25% and academic scholarships are likely going to be cut. 

But at every turn Lew sends Jim Macaroni out to play the old "tin cup" routine . . . "it's the entire school's job to make sure we stay Title 9 compliant . . . we can't afford to supplement faculty staff tickets . . . did you see that bonus Lew just got?"

Then to top it all off they're renovating Jayhawk Towers so ku athletics can "impress" athletes . . . with bond money that will be paid off with housing revenues derived from ALL ku on campus housing residence . . . so emo boy over in one of the dumps who doesn't care about athletics is helping to pay for a nice place for Sherron Collins to rub his unit all over some poor minimum wage ku staffer.

It's getting to be like what an old President at ou said . . . "we want a university the football team can be proud of". 

Sad . . .

Irony at its best....

July 28, 2009, 10:28:48 PM
Reply #7

sonofdaxjones

• All American

The thing with the K-State situation . . . is that the vast majority of K-State people are appalled and disgusted by some of the disclosures, albeit some of it is way overblown, like Bill Snyder getting you know, paid what he was actually owed (and hey they found out they still owed Snyder a bunch of money) . . . but the secret deals and such has K-State people disgusted and angry.

But on the flip side K-State students aren't handing over $3 million a year in compulsory fees to the athletic department, and on campus housing residents aren't paying fees that will be used to pay off bonds used to renovate housing that exists primarily for athletes . . . there's a reason why Lew hawked that little deal all the way through the Regents and the Legislature.

K-State situation has people pissed off and angry . . . Tardville just sits back and applauds Lew's multi-million dollar shakedown of the main campus.  (seriously . . .  sending the AD henchmen over to get Hemmenway to threaten a veto of any SGA change in the compulsory athletic fees, so the SGA had to cut student related programs??) Hey nice work on those football practice fields . . . chewed up big chunks of prime parking, and the football coach doesn't even want to use them because everybody and their dog can watch what's going on. 

July 28, 2009, 11:38:27 PM
Reply #8

sonofdaxjones

• All American

I believe mu is also an athletic department that doesn't treat athletic endowment and facilities giving as "revenue" . . . the $38 million they received in just 2 donations a few years ago was in no way reflected in their equity-in-athletics statement.   

They're putting in a huge new videoboard . . . at ku they put that project on hold.   They renovated all their football stadium restrooms and concessions . . . at ku they're still pretty $hitty on the upper levels . . . they built a sports park years ago . . . at ku it's still on the drawing boards and has been for 3.5 years . . . they built a $78 million dollar basketball arena . . . hell the women play in Hearne's arena which is as nice as you'll find anywhere, they have a dedicated indoor facility for football . . . they spent $17 million expanding their football offices and weightroom . . . amazing they don't perform better . . . but I see Tardville still thinks they're "poor".

July 29, 2009, 12:52:28 AM
Reply #9

BMWJhawk

This list has really gotten 'Pad  :curse:

Rank School Total Revenue Conference
1st Texas $120,288,370  Big 12
2nd Ohio State $117,953,712  Big Ten
3rd Florida $106,030,895  Southeastern Conference
4th Michigan $99,027,105  Big Ten
5th Wisconsin $93,452,334  Big Ten
6th Penn State $91,570,233  Big Ten
7th Auburn $89,305,326  Southeastern Conference
8th Alabama $88,869,810  Southeastern Conference
9th Tennessee $88,719,798  Southeastern Conference
10th Oklahoma State $88,554,438  Big 12
11th Kansas $86,009,257  Big 12
12th Louisiana State $84,183,362  Southeastern Conference
13th Georgia $84,020,180  Southeastern Conference
14th Notre Dame $83,352,439  Independent
15th Iowa $81,148,310  Big Ten
16th Michigan State $77,738,746  Big Ten
17th Oklahoma $77,098,009  Big 12
18th Stanford $76,661,466  Pac-10
19th University of Southern California $76,409,919  Pac-10
20th Nebraska $75,492,884  Big 12
21st Texas A&M $74,781,640  Big 12
22nd Kentucky $71,186,184  Southeastern Conference
23rd Duke $67,820,335  ACC
24th South Carolina $66,545,953  Southeastern Conference
25th UCLA $66,088,264  Pac-10

46th Missouri $49,113,786  Big 12
47th Kansas State $48,160,113  Big 12

:lol:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:56:08 AM by BMWJhawk »

July 29, 2009, 08:04:24 AM
Reply #10

sonofdaxjones

• All American

It's not "getting to me" . . . I just am kind of amazed that news organizations don't do more research on where these numbers come from . . . I started looking at the EADA reports 5 or 6 years ago (way ahead of the curve on this compared to Tardville) . . . and about that time I knew that mu had received $35 million in private donations from just 2 sources, and those donations were not reflected on their EADA report anywhere.   Just like NC State doesn't reflect private giving in their athletic departments financial reports because all the money flows through the Wolfpack Club and they've endowed millions of dollars worth of scholarships, pay for $8 to $9 million dollars worth of athletic scholarships every year, and privately funded about $140 million in new facilities over the last 8 years.   I don't know if the Ernie Barrett  Endowment society (not the same as the Ahearn Fund) contributions (about $15 million over the last 6 or 7 years) are reflected as revenue on K-State's EADA report since that money is held in restricted accounts at the Foundation.

It's complicated . . . that's why validators mock it, because they don't understand.

Sad . . .

July 29, 2009, 08:07:23 AM
Reply #11

Saulbadguy

July 29, 2009, 08:18:04 AM
Reply #12

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU
Dax, it's OK - it is that DAMNED logic thing again... ben is just unable to understand it. People who have a minimal grasp on finance can see what you are talking about.  :thumbsup:

July 29, 2009, 08:37:34 AM
Reply #13

SkinnyBenny

• Muzzled Poster
  • Cub

• Fitz & Kellis: 2 Boys, 1 Rusty Trombone
Are you fruits going to do this all over again?

"SkinnyBenny is like an internet Stephen Hawkins missing his magic do-it-all wheelchair."  --FelixRex

July 29, 2009, 08:48:53 AM
Reply #14

BMWJhawk

'Pad... it's time to just accept the fact that ku's athletic department is becoming a national powerhouse.  There's no shame in being ranked in the 45-50 range with the Mizzou's of the world.  Not all programs can win BCS Bowls and national titles in the same year. 

July 29, 2009, 09:29:15 AM
Reply #15

premierkc

• Cub

So according to this ku has no excuse for not winning the conference in football every couple of years, and neither does UT or OSU. :notworthy:

July 29, 2009, 09:41:22 AM
Reply #16

SkinnyBenny

• Muzzled Poster
  • Cub

"SkinnyBenny is like an internet Stephen Hawkins missing his magic do-it-all wheelchair."  --FelixRex

July 29, 2009, 10:02:07 AM
Reply #17

Guscat

• Cub

K-State has always made do with less than ku, no surprises there.  I think most of the state (outside of the retardation belt that encircles Johnson County, Lawrence, and Topeka) admires KSU for getting more from their program than ku.  I'll have to laugh if KSU finishes higher in conference this year than ku with the money advantage ku enjoys, and BMWJhawk brags about.

Go 'Cats!

July 29, 2009, 10:28:04 AM
Reply #18

SkinnyBenny

• Muzzled Poster
  • Cub

July 29, 2009, 10:38:58 AM
Reply #19

mcmwcat

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Now that's how you get out a f***ing blood stain.
mods, can't this be moved to the finance board?
When I was a kid growing up in the projects, I used to dream of going into space, of escaping the slums, of killing an Ewok!

July 29, 2009, 10:44:40 AM
Reply #20

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!

We have a finance board?  I guess I just didn't see any boards named after T. Brew, so I assumed there wasn't a finance board.

July 29, 2009, 10:57:20 AM
Reply #21

cyclist

• Classless Cat
  • Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    King of the Mountains

We have a finance board?  I guess I just didn't see any boards named after T. Brew, so I assumed there wasn't a finance board.

Nearest thing we got is the Litter Box.  I'm about to move this to either there or the Wannabe Rival board...

:chirp: :chirp: :chirp: :chirp:
I love the smell of peat in the evening.  That smell, you know that earthy smell...  Smells like...whisky !

Funditus Classless

July 29, 2009, 11:24:38 AM
Reply #22

mizer67

• Cub

It is what it is....more money more wins.  The rich get richer.  They can simply outspend us. :chainsaw:

July 29, 2009, 01:47:53 PM
Reply #23

DrJamesANaismith

• Cub

It really is interesting .... how everything in the universe relates to ku.

well done, and thanks, that's a good read!

July 29, 2009, 02:04:37 PM
Reply #24

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Speaking of "pure denial" Stalksmith (LOL . . . I've never denied that ku had more money coming in, hell ku athletics picks up an extra $3 million more  per year than K-State athletics does just by the absurd compulsory fees ku students are raped with) . . . when will you and Tardville admit that many schools treat "revenue" differently.   I've given two clear cut examples where athletic departments do not count donations, endowments etc. etc. as revenue on their books, rather they are done on the books of 3rd party support organizations/fund raising arms. 

Here . . . the Wolfpack Club . . . 70 years of service on BEHALF of NC State Athletics. 

http://www.wolfpackclub.com/

It is funny how easy it is to get the ol' hen house clucking. 

Dollars to donuts says Stalksmith nor any member of Tardville will bother to answer the question.

July 29, 2009, 02:07:03 PM
Reply #25

SkinnyBenny

• Muzzled Poster
  • Cub

Dax.  Stop being a fruit.

July 29, 2009, 02:07:54 PM
Reply #26

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

July 29, 2009, 02:08:49 PM
Reply #27

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Skinny . . . quit worrying about it.   As of right now, you're free to NOT read this thread.   You may not be able to say that in a few years, but as of now you are free to totally ignore this thread.

July 29, 2009, 03:43:11 PM
Reply #28

SkinnyBenny

• Muzzled Poster
  • Cub

Just wanted to make sure you know you're bein' a fruit, bro.   8-)

July 29, 2009, 04:03:50 PM
Reply #29

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Okay . . .