Author Topic: Game of Thrones thread for people who enjoy both the show and books  (Read 62804 times)

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones thread for people who enjoy both the show and books
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2015, 01:06:01 PM »
The whole Winterfell situation will be interesting. I think the final outcome will be fairly similar (Theon escaping with Fake Arya/Sansa) but how they get there will have to deviate.

I'm a little disappointed, though not surprised, they cut out Tyrion on the riverboat. I thought that could have been pretty cool to show.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 28, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
Is Tyrion still going to meet up with that girl dwarf or do you think they will cut that out too?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 28, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
Is Tyrion still going to meet up with that girl dwarf or do you think they will cut that out too?

They will cut that. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the whole slavery thing, too. It's too bad that they have to make these changes, but it's understandable.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 28, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »

They will cut that. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the whole slavery thing, too. It's too bad that they have to make these changes, but it's understandable.

If they do that, the Jorah story line will also be completely different, which will severely effect the relationship btwn him and Danny, which seems like is going to end up being very important.  :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »
The books and show will probably end up in the same place, but everything in between is going to be completely different. GRRM has the advantage of getting to watch the show first, so I'm sure his version will end up better.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 28, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »
Glad to see these threads are getting warmed back up. Gets me excited for the new season.

Just a reminder of the apparent usage of each thread tho.

Show thread: Exclusively for show discussion and since apparently book is synonymous with spoiler over there it's probably best to avoid posting in it if you've read the books. Very fun to read "theories" over there and laugh.

Book thread: Primarily book discussion. Probably not going to need dusted off until George "I hate my fans" Martin finally finishes another book.

This thread: Used to compare/contrast the show and book, discuss how new "discoveries" from the show affect the books, and overall just laugh at show only people who think they have everything figured out. Show spoilers are welcome in here so if you don't want to see those, probably should avoid this thread.

or just do what you want

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 28, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »
Glad to see these threads are getting warmed back up. Gets me excited for the new season.

Show thread: Exclusively for show discussion and since apparently book is synonymous with spoiler over there it's probably best to avoid posting in it if you've read the books. Very fun to read "theories" over there and laugh.

Book thread: Primarily book discussion. Probably not going to need dusted off until George "I hate my fans" Martin finally finishes another book.

This thread: Used to compare/contrast the show and book, discuss how new "discoveries" from the show affect the books, and overall just laugh at show only people who think they have everything figured out. Show spoilers are welcome in here so if you don't want to see those, probably should avoid this thread.

or just do what you want

Yeah, eff you if you think I am going to stay out of the show thread.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 28, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »

or just do what you want

Yeah, eff you if you think I am going to stay out of the show thread.

Yea, I won't stay out of it either. Just don't type the word book.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 05, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
OK, so they cut Aegon out of the show, right? Tyrion was traveling with him before he was captured by Jorah, right?....I am just trying to remember the order of things in the book...

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
OK, so they cut Aegon out of the show, right? Tyrion was traveling with him before he was captured by Jorah, right?....I am just trying to remember the order of things in the book...

That is correct.  As of now the show has no plans to introduce that character.  Thankfully.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »

That is correct.  As of now the show has no plans to introduce that character.  Thankfully.

Assuming that Victarion and Euron Greyjoy have been cut too.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 05, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
Yeah. I wish the show would have been one season longer so they wouldn't have had to cut as much.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #312 on: May 12, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »

Assuming that Victarion and Euron Greyjoy have been cut too.

Okay, this is what hacks me off the most.

The whole Greyjoy arc in the books has been really enjoyable for me, and I love this whole storyline.  To not see it in the show kills me.

And what does everyone have against Aegon?  I mean he's going to be a big part of the story (presumably).

I mean, they effectively merged the whole Jon Connington/Jorah Mormont storylines and the Doom of Valarya/River attack scenes, right?  Isn't that basically what happened the other night?

Oh, and killing Barristan Selmy was weak.  Stupid.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
The show's been a lot more bold at giving things away recently than I expected:

R+L=J
 - In the books, only Ned and Howland Reed knew the true origins.  In the show, at a minimum, Littlefinger, Stannis, and Melissandre seem to know.

The Hound isn't necessarily dead.  The possibility of a Clegane / Clegane deathmatch lives on.   :emawkid:

WTF is going on with Dorne?  They have to keep the number of characters lower than the books, but Jamie and Bronn both in Dorne and both still alive after the rescue attempt?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
The show's been a lot more bold at giving things away recently than I expected:

R+L=J
 - In the books, only Ned and Howland Reed knew the true origins.  In the show, at a minimum, Littlefinger, Stannis, and Melissandre seem to know.

The Hound isn't necessarily dead.  The possibility of a Clegane / Clegane deathmatch lives on.   :emawkid:

WTF is going on with Dorne?  They have to keep the number of characters lower than the books, but Jamie and Bronn both in Dorne and both still alive after the rescue attempt?

Bronn is dead. Got cut.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »
So in the book Margeary gets arrested by the faith, but it is because they think she was having an affair...which later gets refuted. So how is she going to get out of it now that her arrest is because she lied - and since that guy described Loras's birthmark it is pretty clear he is telling the truth?  Are they just going to say that the squire could have seen the birthmark when he was helping Loras dress?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
The Ramsey/Sansa thing in the show is stupid. 

I've really grown to dislike the show.  Like a lot.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 18, 2015, 12:08:45 PM »
So in the book Margeary gets arrested by the faith, but it is because they think she was having an affair...which later gets refuted. So how is she going to get out of it now that her arrest is because she lied - and since that guy described Loras's birthmark it is pretty clear he is telling the truth?  Are they just going to say that the squire could have seen the birthmark when he was helping Loras dress?

Assuming Lady Olenna arranges to have the squire killed to avoid testimony at trial.

How is Cersei going to get trapped?  The Kettleblacks aren't in the show and it seems a little late for her to get tripped up by Lancel's confessions.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 18, 2015, 12:16:33 PM »
The Ramsey/Sansa thing in the show is stupid. 

I've really grown to dislike the show.  Like a lot.

I can't figure out how they are going to get this part of the story back on track with the books, and if they don't, then what's the rough ridin' point of it, ya know?  I don't dislike the show, I just love the books.

I need to go back and re-read the books (I have never re-read a book before), but I had been waiting to do this until the next book is released.  I am rusty on so much of it.  I spend half the show going "was that in the book???"  Dorne stuff has me really confused, for example.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 18, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »

Assuming Lady Olenna arranges to have the squire killed to avoid testimony at trial.

How is Cersei going to get trapped?  The Kettleblacks aren't in the show and it seems a little late for her to get tripped up by Lancel's confessions.

They could always reveal her incest with Jaime, but that would have a lot of far reaching consequences (like un-legitimatizing Tommen)....Wasn't she screwing anyone besides Lancel while Jaime was gone on the show?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 18, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
Lancel will come clean.

Also there are some theories that the high sparrow is howland reed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 18, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
Lancel will come clean.

Remind me who Howland Reed is?

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 18, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »
Lancel will come clean.

I like that theory, but I'm not sure how it fits age wise -- Howland was at the Tower of Joy with Ned fighting off the Kingsguard but the High Sparrow looks older than Barristan Selmy.

My favorite theory is that Jaq'en Hagar is Sylvio Forel and that Arya heading to the Faceless Men was put in motion when her water dancing started.

e.t.a. - Howland Reed is Meera and Jojen's father -- supposedly the only person other than Ned who would know that Jon Snow is Rhaegar Targaryan and Lyanna Stark's son.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
Lancel will come clean.

I like that theory, but I'm not sure how it fits age wise -- Howland was at the Tower of Joy with Ned fighting off the Kingsguard but the High Sparrow looks older than Barristan Selmy.

My favorite theory is that Jaq'en Hagar is Sylvio Forel and that Arya heading to the Faceless Men was put in motion when her water dancing started.

e.t.a. - Howland Reed is Meera and Jojen's father -- supposedly the only person other than Ned who would know that Jon Snow is Rhaegar Targaryan and Lyanna Stark's son.

wait what

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »
so Tyrion and Dany get a face to face, that's pretty neat.