Author Topic: Remember when Huggins went "small" because our post players all sucked?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Might not be a bad idea.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when Huggins went "small" because our post players all sucked?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »
God I wish Huggins was still our coach

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »
Our smalls suck, too.

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
Our smalls suck, too.
At least they're a threat to score.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:34 PM »
didn't frank do that late in the 2nd, jamar was the tallest on the floor.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »
Except our defense and rebounding managed to get even worse.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:55:14 PM »
didn't frank do that late in the 2nd, jamar was the tallest on the floor.

Last 10 minutes of the game. It's what got us back in the game really.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 11:59:41 PM »
i already posted a version of this in some other random thread.  but if kstate's bigs suck, then kstate sucks.  gotta play the bigs, cause the ceiling on a 4 guard lineup when you have 2 good guards is under the tournament.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:04:57 AM »
i already posted a version of this in some other random thread.  but if kstate's bigs suck, then kstate sucks.  gotta play the bigs, cause the ceiling on a 4 guard lineup when you have 2 good guards is under the tournament.

Yeah, it was a nice gimmick to get us back in the game. I agree with others though, this gimmick wouldn't have been necessary without the play everyone on the roster gimmick in the first half.

And if those guys can't/don't produce, NIT bubble may be this teams future.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
I agree with others though, this gimmick wouldn't have been necessary without the play everyone on the roster gimmick in the first half.

i don't agree with that at all.  pullen played 33 and looked tired at the end.  he has to rest sometime.  mcgruder played 32.  samuels played 29.

judge got 2 fouls pretty quick and at that time, it looked like having him in the second might be useful.  and he gets tired real easy anyways, so has to come out fairly regularly even if he doesn't have foul trouble.

not playing kstate's best players enough was not an issue today.  unless maybe you think martin should have stuck with judge late.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 07:28:33 AM »
I agree with others though, this gimmick wouldn't have been necessary without the play everyone on the roster gimmick in the first half.

i don't agree with that at all.  pullen played 33 and looked tired at the end.  he has to rest sometime.  mcgruder played 32.  samuels played 29.

judge got 2 fouls pretty quick and at that time, it looked like having him in the second might be useful.  and he gets tired real easy anyways, so has to come out fairly regularly even if he doesn't have foul trouble.

not playing kstate's best players enough was not an issue today.  unless maybe you think martin should have stuck with judge late.

the end of the 1st half was so predictable.  frank has team Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) out there and we can't even get a shot off in the last 2 minutes of the half.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »

I understand this, and don't disagree.  And in the last 5 minutes of the half McGruds and Pullen both had two fouls, and thats why Frank had them out.  However, its clear his substitution patterns haven't been working and I agree with some that he's trying to play too many guys.  To me this is and always has been the most "high school coach" aspect of Frank.  Last year I think it turned out okay, this year it has only fallen apart.  He and his coaches have to rework their substitution patterns and do a better job looking back on line-ups, b/c its clear there are many he just can't put out there togther.  That's what I'm saying, I'm not saying play the best players 40 minutes, b/c that's unrealistic. 

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »
also sitting Samuels against this team in the first half when he has ZERO fouls was stupid.  removing him 90 seconds into the 2nd half was inexcusable.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 08:05:38 AM »
also sitting Samuels against this team in the first half when he has ZERO fouls was stupid.  removing him 90 seconds into the 2nd half was inexcusable.

Yeah, we needed him out there.  But it was a typical Samuels night; he missed some early shots, got frustrated, and for a portion of the game it affect his effort/intensity.  Its not like this is new.  Frank went to what he usually does when that happens; subbing in the other bigs, it was just that besides Wally in the first 5 minutes they all played terrible.  And after our guards started turning the ball over like crazy and not getting them the ball, they (especially Wally) sort of disappeared.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
Speaking of the bigs.  I think Asprilla is the slowest guy I have seen in a long time.  It looked like he had a trailer load of dead goat carcasses with no wheels dragging behind him last night. 

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »
Speaking of the bigs.  I think Asprilla is the slowest guy I have seen in a long time.  It looked like he had a trailer load of dead goat carcasses with no wheels dragging behind him last night. 

Watching him watch the ball roll out of bounds last night was one of the most God-Awful experiences of my life.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »

Yeah, we needed him out there.  But it was a typical Samuels night; he missed some early shots, got frustrated, and for a portion of the game it affect his effort/intensity.  Its not like this is new.  Frank went to what he usually does when that happens; subbing in the other bigs, it was just that besides Wally in the first 5 minutes they all played terrible.  And after our guards started turning the ball over like crazy and not getting them the ball, they (especially Wally) sort of disappeared.

his shoulder is fine, correct? I mean, something was off. Probably just sprained his vagina.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »

the end of the 1st half was so predictable.  frank has team Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) out there and we can't even get a shot off in the last 2 minutes of the half.

that team was our future  :frown:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
God I wish Huggins was still our coach

:hurtinginsidethinkingabouthuggy:

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »

Pullen and Gruds in foul trouble, team Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) can't get off a shot...

seems like it would be a good time to put 95 in the game and let him try to get to the rim.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »
95!!!

Hopes and dreams tied up with this one.