Author Topic: olympics  (Read 77767 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: olympics
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
wow, finally got to watch the usa/russia game this afternoon.  what a great match.  datsyuk is probably my favorite non-sharks player, he's just too damn good.  and that shootout!   :excited:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
if jamaica were to somehow win a medal in bobsled it would probably be the greatest sports moment of my life.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
the Netherlands is winning the medal count and every medal they have is in speed skating.  lame city.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2014, 09:36:09 PM »
Russia isn't the powerhouse it once was.  I don't follow it, but don't think they'd be favored to win a game against either the US or Canada.

Russia, Canada, US, and Sweden are the true international hockey powers. Any of the four could win the gold and it wouldn't be entirely shocking. Canada is the odds on favorite though.

Go ahead and throw in the Czech Republic and Finland. All 6 have the ability to win a single elimination tournament.

Slovakia and Switzerland can beat anyone in a single elimination tournament but can't win 3 or 4 in a row.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »
the Netherlands is winning the medal count and every medal they have is in speed skating.  lame city.

what makes this stat even more amazing is that only one of those medals is in short track  :Wha:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »
Russia isn't the powerhouse it once was.  I don't follow it, but don't think they'd be favored to win a game against either the US or Canada.

Russia, Canada, US, and Sweden are the true international hockey powers. Any of the four could win the gold and it wouldn't be entirely shocking. Canada is the odds on favorite though.

Go ahead and throw in the Czech Republic and Finland. All 6 have the ability to win a single elimination tournament.

Slovakia and Switzerland can beat anyone in a single elimination tournament but can't win 3 or 4 in a row.

Yea, I think The Czechs or Finns winning gold would still be a mild surprise. They do definitely have the ability but I don't think to many people would bet on it.

Switzerland seems to be the up and comer. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if they're better than both Czech Rep and Finland in 8 years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2014, 01:58:30 AM »

Yea, I think The Czechs or Finns winning gold would still be a mild surprise. They do definitely have the ability but I don't think to many people would bet on it.

Switzerland seems to be the up and comer. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if they're better than both Czech Rep and Finland in 8 years.

The Czechs and the Fins have relatively young talent, the Swiss are really only buoyed by excellent goal keeping right now, they need to develop talent depth or else they will just be Germany circa 2006.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »

The Czechs and the Fins have relatively young talent, the Swiss are really only buoyed by excellent goal keeping right now, they need to develop talent depth or else they will just be Germany circa 2006.

MIR's knowledge about every sporting event really blows my mind.  MIR, who you got in Ice Dancing?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »

As long as it isn't Norway or Sweden or Germany or Russia winning those medals it's fine.  Any medal one of these fringe countries wins is like a half win for us.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 17, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »

I was just saying this the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »

Entirely possible, and without knowing the pulse of hockey in Switzerland I have no idea what they're youth programs are like. Was simply basing the thought they could be one of the better countries in the upcoming years based on there being some quality young Swiss talent for the first time as long as I've been paying attention to hockey.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »
MIR's knowledge about every sporting event really blows my mind.  MIR, who you got in Ice Dancing?

yeah, it's almost absurd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 17, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »

NBC did an amazing story on the us team, Davis & White. They have been dancing together since they were little kids, it was a very cute and amazing story at the same time. It was nice to see Meryl Davis not in her ice dancing garb, because she looks freakish in that makeup.

I'm also fascinated that the two best pairs in the world, the aforementioned Davis & White and a Canadian pair, share the same coach & practice rink

that's all I got ice dancing is boring

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »

Entirely possible, and without knowing the pulse of hockey in Switzerland I have no idea what they're youth programs are like. Was simply basing the thought they could be one of the better countries in the upcoming years based on there being some quality young Swiss talent for the first time as long as I've been paying attention to hockey.

they poor money into Swiss Hockey, they've been okay during the world juniors the last few years but if they want to go to the next level they need more players to develop in North America or the KHL. They keep almost all of their players domestically in a league that's almost entirely Swiss. That's good for developing players within that system but it isn't good for developing individual talent, it's exactly why their impact players the last 16 years have only been goalies.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
I can't quite put my finger on what makes this chick's face so off putting.  Is it that her eyes are too far apart?  I know once someone explains I'll be like "yep, that's it."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
I mean, look...everyone in this picture is pretty standard looking, but what the eff is going on with her?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »
If she were on star trek there would be no doubt that she was portraying an alien species.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2014, 06:51:30 PM »

She looks like one of those cloners on Star Wars from the planet Kamino.

The Big Train

« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »
 :lol: Pete do an Olympic look-alike thread. Please!?  :pray:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
She looks like a Disney character, but made of actual flesh and bone  :sdeek:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
she looks perfectly normal not in that make-up, pulled back hair, and white chowder all over her face

Have you seen the pictures of her dressing like Jasmine for one of her dances, its freaking uncanny

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
eyes far apart and separated by strong nose bridge is my guess Pete. 

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
her left eye is always more narrow/squintier than her right eye. also, they are really far apart. and long windy nose.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2014, 07:31:55 AM »
:lol: Pete do an Olympic look-alike thread. Please!?  :pray:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile