Author Topic: New types of bigs needed?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
New types of bigs needed?
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
I'm looking for HBIQ types to let me know if I'm off base here, but when I watch a game like yesterday, I keep thinking to myself, "Why are we recruiting guys like JHR, Samuels, Kelly, Diaz, etc. when our JYC game is predicated on big dudes cleaning the glass and creating an intimidating presence inside?"

I mean, yeah, we rebound well, but Moses and Pilgrim just went inside and wrecked our guys inside like a bull in a china shop.  Hence, the foul trouble.  If we're going to go with this philosophy, why aren't we going and getting more guys like Gipson?  He's a start in the right direction, but my thought is that if we're going to play this rough and tough JYC style, we need meat on the boards.  We need guys like Mario Boggan.  Just 6'7"-6'9" enforcer types that will just beat the living crap out of you.

We have all of these long and lanky bigs that are getting pounded inside.  I'm just curious as to why we don't see more of these bouncer-looking dudes in there that can just bloody you inside.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New types of bigs needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
Less concerned about their defense than theirl inability to post up.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
so seniors dominated freshmen and sophomores in the first game of conference play

Asprilla was suppose to fill some of that void.  Wally needs to man the eff up.  Jam Sam is fine, best big right now by far.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:59:11 PM »
I thought wally played with a lot of intensity.  I was pleased with his effort.  Results vary, but if he can continue to give great effort he will be fine.  Where we missed Kelly was on helpside defense.  Our guys just couldnt check Moses.  Pilgrim is an unimpressive player to me.   

I definitely agree fan.  We need more Dejuan Blair, Jason Maxiel, Ronnie Turiaf, PJ Tucker, David Hoskins types.  Those are the guys that were made for Frank's style.  I think for Frank's style to work well we need:

The Bruisers mentioned.  Freddy is also in that mold, size wise at least.
Long athletic wing players that can get out in transition and crash the boards IE: Sutton.  It is a bonus if they can shoot (McGruder)
Playmaking PGs - I really think the style needs an aggressive, attacking point guard to be at it's best.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
I'm looking for HBIQ types to let me know if I'm off base here, but when I watch a game like yesterday, I keep thinking to myself, "Why are we recruiting guys like JHR, Samuels, Kelly, Diaz, etc. when our JYC game is predicated on big dudes cleaning the glass and creating an intimidating presence inside?"

I mean, yeah, we rebound well, but Moses and Pilgrim just went inside and wrecked our guys inside like a bull in a china shop.  Hence, the foul trouble.  If we're going to go with this philosophy, why aren't we going and getting more guys like Gipson?  He's a start in the right direction, but my thought is that if we're going to play this rough and tough JYC style, we need meat on the boards.  We need guys like Mario Boggan.  Just 6'7"-6'9" enforcer types that will just beat the living crap out of you.

We have all of these long and lanky bigs that are getting pounded inside.  I'm just curious as to why we don't see more of these bouncer-looking dudes in there that can just bloody you inside.

That's what Asparilla was supposed to be for.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
so seniors dominated freshmen and sophomores in the first game of conference play

Asprilla was suppose to fill some of that void.  Wally needs to man the eff up.  Jam Sam is fine, best big right now by far.

I'm just saying that it's the body type/strength needed.  I'm not talking about skill.

And I agree Asprilla was supposed to fill that void in some respect, but why not have two bruisers on the blocks with long wings?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »
Are you questioning Frank Martin?
Do you think you know more about basketball than Frank?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:42 PM »
Are you questioning Frank Martin?
Do you think you know more about basketball than Frank?

:surprised:

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »
no.  good bigs are better than bad bigs.  body-type/size/etc doesn't matter.  moses is really good.  so is that giant dude for gonzaga.  the only two things they have in common are being good and abusing the kstate bigs.  when we play someone with a really good tall skinny big, he'll abuse them too.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »

I mean, yeah, we rebound well, but Moses and Pilgrim just went inside and wrecked our guys inside like a bull in a china shop.  Hence, the foul trouble.  If we're going to go with this philosophy, why aren't we going and getting more guys like Gipson?  He's a start in the right direction, but my thought is that if we're going to play this rough and tough JYC style, we need meat on the boards.  We need guys like Mario Boggan.  Just 6'7"-6'9" enforcer types that will just beat the living cac out of you.

That's what Asparilla was supposed to be for.

He may have cut too much weight  :ck: ?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »
I would kill small babies seals for a big banger that can finish at the rim. White would be great too re: Cole Aldrich. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
The young bigs are just too inexperienced and not physical enough. They did a lot of what they were supposed to do, it was just isolations against Moses with a lot of space to work that bothered us.

I was much more frustrated with their position when shots went and not getting rebounds.  OSU beat us on the oboards and second chance points, both usually strengths of our team.  And JHR and Asprilla were just really dumb with their fouls.  They combined for 10 fouls in only 16 combined minutes. We had to play way too many minutes of zone as a result and that goes against our strength and led to some of the rebounding problems.  It was just overall a terrible game by our bigs and we aren't going to win games when they play like that.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
I thought wally played with a lot of intensity.  I was pleased with his effort.  Results vary, but if he can continue to give great effort he will be fine.  Where we missed Kelly was on helpside defense.  Our guys just couldnt check Moses.  Pilgrim is an unimpressive player to me.   

I definitely agree fan.  We need more Dejuan Blair, Jason Maxiel, Ronnie Turiaf, PJ Tucker, David Hoskins types.  Those are the guys that were made for Frank's style.  I think for Frank's style to work well we need:

The Bruisers mentioned.  Freddy is also in that mold, size wise at least.
Long athletic wing players that can get out in transition and crash the boards IE: Sutton.  It is a bonus if they can shoot (McGruder)
Playmaking PGs - I really think the style needs an aggressive, attacking point guard to be at it's best.

I agree with most all of this.  The fact is that Frank needs certain types of players to play "his" game...similar to the way Boeheim needs certain types to play his zone.  And the fact is that they aren't all 5 star players, but what we are missing is that playmaking, point guard that refuses to let us lose and/or puts the foot on their throat when the time is right.  It's the mental part of the game from the point thatis killing us right now.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:19:50 PM by Fuktard »

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Diaz will be JHR 2.0 GUARENTEED.
EMAW

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
and plus, didn't we want Jamar types to "run the floor" for that long ago time when we used to play up-tempo?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 10:09:56 PM »
good ones, would be nice.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline trumanorme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »
Asrilla always has that deer in the headlights look. How can you be two feet from the basket, and miss your shot by four feet?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 09:08:48 PM »
I think it has to do with the offense that Frank wants.  Frank wants to run.  Get too big of a big and you get a TX prob.  Great big that gets worn out too quick and ultimately doesn't make the diff on the floor you want because his big ass is tired from running so much. 

Offline CatGeek

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
For christ sake, the body types of our big men is about #104 of our top 100 priorities on this team. 
 :powerespect: