Author Topic: Pullen/Kelly  (Read 28530 times)

Offline number5

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pullen/Kelly
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2010, 01:25:28 AM »
long day. haven't been on the board enough to follow if this has been posted. but...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/08/sports/college-football-florida-state-s-warrick-is-suspended-after-an-arrest.html

ONLY IN AMERICA
can two n-words get charged for grand theft for buying clothes at a discount ONLY IN AMERICA

$400+ dollars worth of clothes for ~$20?  That's not a discount; that's giving the clothes to them for a small handling fee!  :nono:

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:10 AM »
long day. haven't been on the board enough to follow if this has been posted. but...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/08/sports/college-football-florida-state-s-warrick-is-suspended-after-an-arrest.html

ONLY IN AMERICA
can two n-words get charged for grand theft for buying clothes at a discount ONLY IN AMERICA

$400+ dollars worth of clothes for ~$20?  That's not a discount; that's giving the clothes to them for a small handling fee!  :nono:

pretty sure his point was that it still isnt GRAND THEFT...

Offline number5

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:19 AM »
I'm just good at pulling things out of context.

Should we call it some sort of embezzlement maybe?  Someone know of a better description?

And, here's this, just for kicks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_theft
Specifics vary widely between states. Some exemptions include: theft of agricultural produce, based on current wholesale value at the time of incident exceeding $250; firearm theft; motor vehicle theft; or bovine animals regardless of value.

Not sure about the validity of this but a quick google search shows that Grand Larceny in Florida is constituted by $300 or more.

I was curious about the legal implications and differences between Larceny and Theft, so I found this.  

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/English/law_patents/625295-larceny_vs_theft.html
Legally speaking, however, larceny is a kind of theft; thus theft is the encompassing concept.

And yes, they did technically pay for the things, but I'm just chasing rabbits and getting caught up in the specifics.

/txtBlock

edit: fixed a punctuation error.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:43:03 AM by number5 »

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2010, 01:44:57 AM »

Should we call it some sort of embezzlement maybe?  Someone know of a better description?

Specifics vary widely between states. Some exemptions include: theft of agricultural produce, based on current wholesale value at the time of incident exceeding $250; firearm theft; motor vehicle theft; or bovine animals regardless of value.

Not sure about the validity of this but a quick google search shows that Grand Larceny in Florida is constituted by $300 or more.

I was curious about the legal implications and differences between Larceny and Theft, so I found this.  

Legally speaking, however, larceny is a kind of theft; thus theft is the encompassing concept.

And yes, they did technically pay for the things, but I'm just chasing rabbits and getting caught up in the specifics.

/txtBlock

in kansas i know there is a level of theft charge at $250, but there is also another one at $25,000 which is where I would assume it would be considered "grand theft" however my assumption may be incorrect.

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2010, 01:46:47 AM »

/txtBlock

in kansas i know there is a level of theft charge at $250, but there is also another one at $25,000 which is where I would assume it would be considered "grand theft" however my assumption may be incorrect.

eh,

http://www.kansas-criminal-defense-law.com/theft.html

Offline number5

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2010, 01:54:45 AM »
Wait a minute... I thought this was primarily discussing the Florida case as that was what everyone was referring towards and quoting.  That's why I went chasing that one.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2010, 01:55:10 AM »

/txtBlock

We should call it getting a deal that someone offered.  Who the eff decides when a good deal is too good of a deal.  If they got 75% off would that be good enough?  Laws can't be arbitrary.  So if I know that some white person got $700 more off of a car because they were white can I call the cops and ask that the buyer and seller be charged with larceny?

Last year Directv was in a carriage dispute with Versus.  Myself and thousands of others nationwide called directv and oversold how much we would miss Versus to get lots of free crap.  I got the NHL and College Basketball packages for free.  I have first hand knowledge of people getting crap like free HD DVRs and they never watched Versus.  I don't think anyone would be knocking on my door even if I called the district attorney on myself.  

You are out of your goddamn mind if you think crap like this doesn't happen in every single retail store in America to regular j_rake people.  And you know what people get caught every day by their bosses giving people discounts they shouldn't.  I am willing to bet that .6794% of these end up with the person receiving the discount getting cuffed and charged with larceny.

Offline number5

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2010, 02:05:51 AM »
We should call it getting a deal that someone offered.  Who the eff decides when a good deal is too good of a deal.  If they got 75% off would that be good enough?  Laws can't be arbitrary.  So if I know that some white person got $700 more off of a car because they were white can I call the cops and ask that the buyer and seller be charged with larceny?

Last year Directv was in a carriage dispute with Versus.  Myself and thousands of others nationwide called directv and oversold how much we would miss Versus to get lots of free cac.  I got the NHL and College Basketball packages for free.  I have first hand knowledge of people getting cac like free HD DVRs and they never watched Versus.  I don't think anyone would be knocking on my door even if I called the district attorney on myself.  

You are out of your goddamn mind if you think cac like this doesn't happen in every single retail store in America to regular j_rake people.  And you know what people get caught every day by their bosses giving people discounts they shouldn't.  I am willing to bet that .6794% of these end up with the person receiving the discount getting cuffed and charged with larceny.

While agree with most of what you say here, I'm curious what kind of discount is 95% off.

Your car comparison doesn't hold it's salt.  A better comparison?  Me walking away with a 2011 5.0 'Stang for $1,500.

Regardless, it's still against the rules to use a private/family/employee/'whatever' discount for a third party.  Whether or not they get away with it, the rule/law is still in place.

edit: typo

edit2: Let me get off my soapbox.  Heck, I take advantage of a few of my friends employee discounts.  The Florida incident was big big money though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:09:42 AM by number5 »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2010, 02:15:21 AM »

Last year Directv was in a carriage dispute with Versus.  Myself and thousands of others nationwide called directv and oversold how much we would miss Versus to get lots of free cac.  I got the NHL and College Basketball packages for free.  I have first hand knowledge of people getting cac like free HD DVRs and they never watched Versus.  I don't think anyone would be knocking on my door even if I called the district attorney on myself.  

You are out of your goddamn mind if you think cac like this doesn't happen in every single retail store in America to regular j_rake people.  And you know what people get caught every day by their bosses giving people discounts they shouldn't.  I am willing to bet that .6794% of these end up with the person receiving the discount getting cuffed and charged with larceny.

While agree with most of what you say here, I'm curious what kind of discount is 95% off.

Your car comparison doesn't hold it's salt.  A better comparison?  Me walking away with a 2011 5.0 'Stang for $1,500.

Regardless, it's still against the rules to use a private/family/employee/whatever, for a third party.  Whether or not they get away with it, the rule/law is still in place.

Have you ever purchased something for 95% off, I have.  What's the threshold?  Who determines this threshold?  Is 85% okay and 95% not?  Should I stop using Groupon for fear that the feds are going to raid my house?

I'm intentionally being obtuse, but the point is if you charge someone for grand larceny for something like this you should just go ahead and say that you as a district attorney supports gross inequities when enforcing law.  The DA in that case should have just said in whatever press release I'm sure they had, "yeah this appears incredibly racist, I don't give a eff."  I'm willing to bet that the charges against the football players were dropped or pleaded waaayyy down.

The people who offer the discounts should be the ones that should be targeted.   

Offline number5

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 02:17:01 AM »
I agree that the people who offered the discounts should be the ones held responsible.  100%

Who could resist?  Blame the instigator not the aftermath.

edit after reading more carefully: No, I don't blame your argument.  I absolutely love playing devil's advocate.  Gets people fired up and defending what they believe in.  I commend you for doing the same to me which I've done to so many others.  Beware, I've angered many friends by being too quick to light a debate.  Guess that's what happens when I'm so defensive.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:18:54 AM by number5 »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 02:18:32 AM »
lrb5032

Almost on scholarship
Post #232
MyFanPage
Add Buddy   
Hope the FUBU gear looks good :horrorsurprise:   Reply
What a bunch of idiots. I hope Jake and Curt are reading this. You have to use your heads when you are under a microscope like you are. What a dissappointment to donor's like me. Frank you have got to get control of your team. This is flat out embarrasing. Leadership and selfishness are to blame. Classless.

Posted on 12/21 10:56 PM | IP: Logged

:opcat: :powerespect: :opcat:

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 02:20:11 AM »
i know law enforcement officers get discounts at convenience stores, fast food restaurants, etc...  why shouldnt they be held accountable?

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 02:35:07 AM »
Because they have guns.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 02:38:27 AM »
This is "Amateur" athletics. 

Offline number5

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2010, 02:40:07 AM »
i know law enforcement officers get discounts at convenience stores, fast food restaurants, etc...  why shouldnt they be held accountable?

They should be held accountable.  Just watch the new Batman movies.  

Cops start out with discounts and soon they're stealing straight cash from the local falafel vendor!   :eek:

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:15 AM »

They should be held accountable.  Just watch the new Batman movies.  

Cops start out with discounts and soon they're stealing straight cash from the local falafel vendor!   :eek:

you are right, except batman has been doing his thing for YEARS...

Offline number5

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2010, 02:48:06 AM »
Not sure what your point is.

I'm just referring to a specific instance in the latest duo of Batman movies.

And, yes, I am aware of the older Batman movies and have seen a majority of them.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:32 AM »

Your car comparison doesn't hold it's salt.  A better comparison?  Me walking away with a 2011 5.0 'Stang for $1,500.

Regardless, it's still against the rules to use a private/family/employee/whatever, for a third party.  Whether or not they get away with it, the rule/law is still in place.

Have you ever purchased something for 95% off, I have.  What's the threshold?  Who determines this threshold?  Is 85% okay and 95% not?  Should I stop using Groupon for fear that the feds are going to raid my house?

I'm intentionally being obtuse, but the point is if you charge someone for grand larceny for something like this you should just go ahead and say that you as a district attorney supports gross inequities when enforcing law.  The DA in that case should have just said in whatever press release I'm sure they had, "yeah this appears incredibly racist, I don't give a eff."  I'm willing to bet that the charges against the football players were dropped or pleaded waaayyy down.

The people who offer the discounts should be the ones that should be targeted.   

why are you bringing race into this? seems weird. also, are you talking about the fsu stuff or the ksu stuff or both?

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2010, 03:19:04 AM »
wtf. this crap is so low-end that we won't even be able to get funny/entertaining signs from opposing Big 12 fanbases about this. if we're gonna eff up, then go out in rough ridin' flames, goddammit.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2010, 03:33:07 AM »
'86 showed up and took it's U back............knew it was coming.

Offline EMAW1286

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2010, 09:14:56 AM »
EMAW...Every Man Acquires a Wardrobe!

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »
We should call it getting a deal that someone offered.

i am

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2010, 09:57:13 AM »
what's the deal w/ Kelly being suspended indefinitely?

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »
Warrick also did not appear to anticipate the charges. ''It's not like I killed the President,'' he said Tuesday.

Would love to see Curt and Jake go with something in this direction.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »
lrb5032

Almost on scholarship
Post #232
MyFanPage
Add Buddy   
Hope the FUBU gear looks good :horrorsurprise:   Reply
What a bunch of idiots. I hope Jake and Curt are reading this. You have to use your heads when you are under a microscope like you are. What a dissappointment to donor's like me. Frank you have got to get control of your team. This is flat out embarrasing. Leadership and selfishness are to blame. Classless.

Posted on 12/21 10:56 PM | IP: Logged

:opcat: :powerespect: :opcat:

LOL, I rough ridin' hate our fans.