Author Topic: 'clams...any updates on the BGE?!?!?  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 'clams...any updates on the BGE?!?!?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
Finished the leftover xmas tl today  getting ready to test the chili

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 11:07:22 AM »
'clams do you have a preference on the type of charcoal you use?  I have just been using standard kingsford briquettes but have heard that natural hardwood lump charcoal is better.  I am also thinking about using log splits in my large charcoal grill for fuel instead of charcoal, is this a bad idea?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »
'clams do you have a preference on the type of charcoal you use?  I have just been using standard kingsford briquettes but have heard that natural hardwood lump charcoal is better.  I am also thinking about using log splits in my large charcoal grill for fuel instead of charcoal, is this a bad idea?

Go with lump. Easier to control temp and burns longer. Overall much better for smoking as oppose to grilling

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
The lump that I use burns hotter and faster than charcoal with less ash.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »

Go with lump. Easier to control temp and burns longer. Overall much better for smoking as oppose to grilling

Thanks do you just go to lowes or someplace like that and get whatever lump they carry or do you get something specific?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »
Cowboy lump is a decent brand.  kind of expensive.  Burns pretty fast but great flavor.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
definitely use lump coal

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »
With lump I use Royal Oak from Walmart, BUT, any lump you use check to make sure it is from the USA, the others can have chemicals and soft woods that burn up too quickly.   Go to BBQbrethren.com and dig around for threads on it, there are links (or just do a google search) that have detailed breakdowns on size through out the bag and burn temps as well as how long they burn.   Getting good lump is pertinent to good consistent burn times/temps.   FWIW I use a mix of approx half and half lump and Kingsford briquetes. 

Also, once most meat reaches 160 it no longer accepts smoke so keep it down for the first hour or two to absorb the smoke flavor, then do whatever you like to do from there. 

Here's a comparison site.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
With lump I use Royal Oak from Walmart, BUT, any lump you use check to make sure it is from the USA, the others can have chemicals and soft woods that burn up too quickly.   Go to BBQbrethren.com and dig around for threads on it, there are links (or just do a google search) that have detailed breakdowns on size through out the bag and burn temps as well as how long they burn.   Getting good lump is pertinent to good consistent burn times/temps.   FWIW I use a mix of approx half and half lump and Kingsford briquetes. 

Also, once most meat reaches 160 it no longer accepts smoke so keep it down for the first hour or two to absorb the smoke flavor, then do whatever you like to do from there. 

Here's a comparison site.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Awesome that is exactly what I was looking for, have you ever used split logs of any sort( hickory, mulberry, hackberry etc) for fuel?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »
don't use split logs for your main heat source, too much smoke.  use the lump coal w/ a bit of hickory/apple/cherry/pecan.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
don't use split logs for your main heat source, too much smoke.  use the lump coal w/ a bit of hickory/apple/cherry/pecan.

This ^^^^   As said, meat only accepts the smoke for a limited time based on temp, you'll end up with too much smokiness and or inconsistent heat with actual wood as a heat source.  Usually just a handful of whatever type wood you use will do, though I tend to add a couple three little pieces just below my first "layer" of lump/coal to add some smoke after the stuff I place on top burns down.   Funny how some peoples wood taste is so different, myself I find pecan very subtle yet distinct whereas a friend thinks it's stronger than hickory or mesquite, which to me are about as strong as it gets.   But that's half the fun, experiment and draw your own conclusions and tastes. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
The pulled pork chili was really good.  loved how the meat accepted the juices in the chili and exploded in my mouth.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 12:11:17 AM »
The pulled pork chili was really good.  loved how the meat accepted the juices in the chili and exploded in my mouth.

Damnit, Omari.  :facepalm:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
JFC, the weather has not been very BGE friendly, and probably wont be for some time...

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
All right d00ds. Just threw on 1/2 a pork shoulder from Hen House. Going to try this PULLED PORK CHILI deal. Rubbed with chili chowder, and i dug holes to put garlic cloves with whole black peppercorn. Shooting for 170-200 degrees until around 5 ocklock hopefully. Should be pretty good go Cats.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
can't wait until my first smoking experience of the season, going to fire it up next saturday for the p66.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »
can't wait until my first smoking experience of the season, going to fire it up next saturday for the p66.

What is it going to be?  I think I am going for some pork ribs this weekend to break my smoker back in for the season.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »

What is it going to be?  I think I am going for some pork ribs this weekend to break my smoker back in for the season.

What do you smoke with, WW?

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »

What do you smoke with, WW?
Bought one of these recently for the convenience of the gas and attached fire box.  Maybe once I decide to smoke more often and need a higher quality like the BGE I will get another one.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »
Going with a butt and some ribs this wekend

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »

pork shoulder and ribs, maybe a chicken too

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »
Pulled Pork Chili was pretty damn good. Turned out more like a stew tho, but damn it was LOADED with flavor. Do recommend.