Author Topic: Anyone here ever make their own beer?  (Read 6462 times)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here ever make their own beer?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »
#1 thing is keep all of your equipment very clean.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 09:33:01 PM »
i brewed a few times. not a bad time. i was living in lawrence when i did it and joined the brew club there. that was the best part of it. every meeting people would bring their own home brews and everybody would have a glass and just get all crap faced trying each others beers. there was usually a quick meeting too where they'd talk about something involving making beer, but i was too busy drinking to pay attention. also, the people who were good at it made really, really good beer and they did it pretty cheap too. just don't expect to do either immediately.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
If you're going to brew your own, what you have to remember is that before you drink it, you have to have a bit of cheap vodka, first. Imo.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 12:33:43 AM »
#1 thing is keep all of your equipment very clean.

Don't want any of those pesky microbes

i brewed a few times. not a bad time. i was living in lawrence when i did it and joined the brew club there. that was the best part of it. every meeting people would bring their own home brews and everybody would have a glass and just get all crap faced trying each others beers. there was usually a quick meeting too where they'd talk about something involving making beer, but i was too busy drinking to pay attention. also, the people who were good at it made really, really good beer and they did it pretty cheap too. just don't expect to do either immediately.

Holy crap that sounds awesome

kst8catfan

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:47 AM »
Home made wine is cheaper and easier....cranberry  :lick:
more expensive too IIRC

If you consider a can of juice concentrate from the store and a packet of yeast expensive...I guess

(GLASS gallon jug, cranberry juice concentrate, yeast, water, and a large balloon as an expansion valve...oh and 30-45 days to ferment.  It'll knock ya on yer boo-boo)

Wine can be made out of almost any vegetable or fruit...I haven't got up the nerve to try any onion wine, though.
You're still in school, right?

Not for a long time...learned this stuff at Folsom doing a 25 to life stretch.

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »
Dude, go for it.  Once you get the equipment it's really not that expensive at all, and as long as you follow the directions it's a somewhat simple process.  You might have a bad batch every now and again but for the most part it's pretty excellent. 
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.