Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002725 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4725 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
https://onlycoin.com/

Sort of like Wallaby, except no annual fee.  And it doesn't pick the card for you, but you should be smart enough to do it yourself.

Want, obviously.

2 year lifetime, high price tag, non PCI compliant, only holds 6 cards.   Meh.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
I've tried to read a crapton of info from this thread, but I'm slightly confused about which card is typically the best for everyday go-to situations.

I currently have the black Signature Southwest Visa (along with A-list status  :billdance: ) as well as a Discover card that I use regularly. Am I missing out on better cards and deals?

I've debated on switching out my SW visa for a sapphire preferred and figuring out something else for the discover but I would be curious to what everyone if the credit card guru's think.

I'm open to any and all suggestions as i'm not skilled in the credit card game by any means. TIA guys!!  :cheers:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: December 05, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
I've tried to read a crapton of info from this thread, but I'm slightly confused about which card is typically the best for everyday go-to situations.

I currently have the black Signature Southwest Visa (along with A-list status  :billdance: ) as well as a Discover card that I use regularly. Am I missing out on better cards and deals?

I've debated on switching out my SW visa for a sapphire preferred and figuring out something else for the discover but I would be curious to what everyone if the credit card guru's think.

I'm open to any and all suggestions as i'm not skilled in the credit card game by any means. TIA guys!!  :cheers:

I'd recommend starting by, I don't know. Rereading the thread.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: December 05, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »

I've read about 90 pages of this thread and at certain times, one card is slammed and others, praised...so color me slightly confused

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »

I've read about 90 pages of this thread and at certain times, one card is slammed and others, praised...so color me slightly confused

show me a place where a Discover card is praised.

Maybe reread the thread but only read steve dave and daris's posts.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
And I'm totally FT PI'ing you now. :D

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: December 05, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »

Fair enough...praising/slamming mainly related to the SW visa...i know discover is crap, but i didn't know any better in college and it was my first card

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: December 05, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »

that was the very first thing i thought of

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: December 05, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track at least.  Look at some of the blogs like Million Mile Secrets and try and figure out what you want to save points for

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: December 05, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »

I have no idea what FT PI'ing you even is?  :confused:

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: December 05, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
SS, the idea is that if you are using the card once you have reached the spend bonus, it is the wrong card to use. As soon as you get the spend bonus for whatever card, mothball it and get a new card with a new bonus to work towards and build your stockpile until you have a million hilton points and they devalue them and are worthless.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:22 PM »

FT=  flyer talk = hard core message board about travel/credit cards
PI= poster intimidation

It's good to have goals; for instance do you want to take your family on a international flight? Just get some free hotel points for free hotel stays? It will be easier to guide you once you have a goal. Starting with the chase sapphire preferred or chase ink is a pretty good idea because UR (ultimate reward) points are the most versatile and can be transferred to lots of hotels and airlines. Most people would suggest putting your primary spending on a card that you are working to meet the minimum spend on, that will get you the big point bonuses. If you're just looking for a card to use on an everyday basis I would get the chase sapphire preferred, meet the minimum spend, get the chase freedom, meet the minimum spend and put your everyday spending on one of those two cards based on which will give you the biggest reward where you're spending at (the chase freedom is probably similar to your discover, but rewards can be used for hotel/flights as well as cash back ONLY when you have a sapphire preferred or ink). The million mile secrets blog top deals tab is a good place to start.
I'm purple down

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: December 06, 2013, 07:17:12 AM »

FT=  flyer talk = hard core message board about travel/credit cards
PI= poster intimidation

It's good to have goals; for instance do you want to take your family on a international flight? Just get some free hotel points for free hotel stays? It will be easier to guide you once you have a goal. Starting with the chase sapphire preferred or chase ink is a pretty good idea because UR (ultimate reward) points are the most versatile and can be transferred to lots of hotels and airlines. Most people would suggest putting your primary spending on a card that you are working to meet the minimum spend on, that will get you the big point bonuses. If you're just looking for a card to use on an everyday basis I would get the chase sapphire preferred, meet the minimum spend, get the chase freedom, meet the minimum spend and put your everyday spending on one of those two cards based on which will give you the biggest reward where you're spending at (the chase freedom is probably similar to your discover, but rewards can be used for hotel/flights as well as cash back ONLY when you have a sapphire preferred or ink). The million mile secrets blog top deals tab is a good place to start.

Good information right here! Thanks!  :cheers:

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: December 06, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
Trim, how as Uber?  :fatty:

Good, in hindsight, we could've gotten an extra free ride.  My first ride that I guess got you your credit was like $17 and I got all $17 off instead of just $10.  I then got my referral code and sent it to Gooch.  We were hoping that whatever glitch that caused me to get 100% off instead of just $10 would happen on the ride to the airport, so we saved his first trip for that.  Didn't work.  We should've had him get us from benny's to mother's and get me another $10 credit and then used that towards the airport.  I'd forgotten I'd get another $10 as soon as he used his.

Definitely felt good looking down on all the poors in their smelly cabs.

Uber, ftw.  Especially when a perk of your job is free cabs.  :cheers: :cheers: then  :driving: but me in the backseat of the black towncar/suburban/escalade

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »
yes, Uber def. FTW

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: December 06, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
yes, Uber def. FTW

Uber's fantastic.  Even more fun to watch the backlash from city cab companies.  Also, they are about to add flat rate to the mountains!! (for those in denver)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: December 07, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
So, I went out to eat dinner last night. The bill came for $55. I left a $15 tip.

Today, I was looking at my account online and noticed I was charged $50 for the tip.

It was a debit card. Do I call the bank, Visa or the restaurant?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: December 07, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
So, I went out to eat dinner last night. The bill came for $55. I left a $15 tip.

Today, I was looking at my account online and noticed I was charged $50 for the tip.

It was a debit card. Do I call the bank, Visa or the restaurant?
Restaurant, they'll get that sorted out quickest

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: December 08, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »
Starting 1/7 you can use and earn US miles on AA and AA on US. Probably be another year or so until they merge them together. Seems to be moving really fast though so who knows. Expect United style devaluation when they do so.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: December 09, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
Starting 1/7 you can use and earn US miles on AA and AA on US. Probably be another year or so until they merge them together. Seems to be moving really fast though so who knows. Expect United style devaluation when they do so.

can you use Avios on US?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: December 09, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »

can you use Avios on US?

I would imagine not until they are members of one world on March 31.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: December 12, 2013, 07:38:56 AM »
BA changed their avios terms for household accounts. I have a household account with mrs. dave which allows us to pool our miles. that's great but we can't book flights for other people. now you can add a list of 5 people onto the household account that don't live in the household that you can book flights for. makes it much easier if you have a bunch of bros you want to fly to chicago for the weekend.

Also, Alaska Air has a 50k point offer out now. usual offer is 25k. if your stud airport just got Alaska Air service with directs to Seattle then this is a good oppy to get some.

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VAB3E8#b

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: December 12, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
Also Alaska is a huge whore and you can use her miles on both American and Delta (and tons of other one world and skyteam carriers) so it's also a good deal for that as well.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: December 12, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »
man, one world is getting awesome'r and awesome'r with US joining and this BA news.

current OneWorld member (and US as of March) point totals:

AA: 282K
BA: 116K
US: 189K