Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004737 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4600 on: November 01, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
If I'm looking to travel around the country w/ Mrs. WonderMeal, Wondermeal Jr., and WonderMealette, does this mean that I should shy away from United and go SW instead?

United and SW fly out of WonderMeal International at about the same rate, FWIW.

Also, SD or Rick Davis, please answer the "how do I get my money's worth out of the Platinum AmEx fee?" question. TIA.

Domestic coach isn't affected so you should probably stick with United if that was what you were planning on previously.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: November 01, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
also, sorry I missed you plat. question earlier. tif it was 100k points it would be valued at $1k easily though. even if you just used them to pay for travel directly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
the not as good as it sounds 100k BA offer is back. 50k after $2k spend (good) additional 25k after $10k (meh) additional 25k after another $10k (even more meh). So, if you spend $20k on the card you end up with 120k Avios.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/credit-cards/public/en_us#

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: November 02, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »
also, moderately good news re. the United devaluation

Although there will now be two charts, it will be still be possible to combine United/United Express and MileagePlus partner award flights on the same itinerary. However, the MileagePlus partner award cabin level will need to be lower than that of the United-operated segment(s) in order to take advantage of the United Saver Award price. So, for a US to Europe itinerary where the long-haul segment is in United Global First, the intra-Europe connecting segment would need to be in Business or Economy (as they typically already are) to take advantage of the United Saver Award price. Similarly, for a US to Europe itinerary where the long-haul segment is in United BusinessFirst, the intra-Europe connecting segment would need to be in Economy to take advantage of the United Saver Award price.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: November 02, 2013, 02:23:45 PM »
the not as good as it sounds 100k BA offer is back. 50k after $2k spend (good) additional 25k after $10k (meh) additional 25k after another $10k (even more meh). So, if you spend $20k on the card you end up with 120k Avios.

hmm.  85k avios for 10k spend.  i might have jumped on that if i hadn't just signed up for 3 cards i need put the spend on.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: November 02, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »

hmm.  85k avios for 10k spend.  i might have jumped on that if i hadn't just signed up for 3 cards i need put the spend on.

yeah, that's probably the place to stop spending on it if someone gets it

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: November 02, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: November 02, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
If I'm looking to travel around the country w/ Mrs. WonderMeal, Wondermeal Jr., and WonderMealette, does this mean that I should shy away from United and go SW instead?

Also, SD or Rick Davis, please answer the "how do I get my money's worth out of the Platinum AmEx fee?" question. TIA.

you probably won't get your money's worth out of it if that's your travel style. it has a bunch of perks that add up like free global entry (which costs $), airline fees reimbursed up to $200 a year (you have to pick one airline iirc), lounge access to a ton of airline lounges (doesn't sound like it would be useful if you are travelling with the family). You can get either one. United for US travel has not been devalued so you are fine there. SW is a great family option as well. If I were you I'd get both SW cards right now so both 50k bonuses post in 2014 and you get the companion pass and maybe even have the wife do the same and then your entire family can cruise around the lower 48 for an entire year as much as you want for free.
I think he missed the boat on the sw 50k for now.  pretty sure it was done a couple days ago, unless there's a couple stray links out there. 

got both of mine a couple weeks ago and changed my closing date to the 5th on both of them.  I've had the companion pass since around march of 2012 and I'll have it until january 2016.  such an amazing deal.  I still can't believe they let you do that.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: November 03, 2013, 12:31:36 AM »
I've had the companion pass since around march of 2012 and I'll have it until january 2016.

explain, please.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: November 03, 2013, 06:48:46 AM »
I've had the companion pass since around march of 2012 and I'll have it until january 2016.

explain, please.
the pass is valid for the remainder of the calendar year in which you earn it and the entire following calendar year.

not sure if that's what you're asking.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Shoeless Joe Jackson

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: November 03, 2013, 10:22:11 AM »
A few friends and I are planning a trip to Europe next fall (probably late September early October).  Tell me step by step what cards I should get to help with the airfare and hotel rooms.  I want you guys to do all the work for me so spell it out.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: November 03, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »

you probably won't get your money's worth out of it if that's your travel style. it has a bunch of perks that add up like free global entry (which costs $), airline fees reimbursed up to $200 a year (you have to pick one airline iirc), lounge access to a ton of airline lounges (doesn't sound like it would be useful if you are travelling with the family). You can get either one. United for US travel has not been devalued so you are fine there. SW is a great family option as well. If I were you I'd get both SW cards right now so both 50k bonuses post in 2014 and you get the companion pass and maybe even have the wife do the same and then your entire family can cruise around the lower 48 for an entire year as much as you want for free.
I think he missed the boat on the sw 50k for now.  pretty sure it was done a couple days ago, unless there's a couple stray links out there. 

got both of mine a couple weeks ago and changed my closing date to the 5th on both of them.  I've had the companion pass since around march of 2012 and I'll have it until january 2016.  such an amazing deal.  I still can't believe they let you do that.

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2013/11/03/southwest-visa-50000-point-signup-bonus-offer-still-alive/

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: November 03, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

explain, please.
the pass is valid for the remainder of the calendar year in which you earn it and the entire following calendar year.

it sounds like you will have it for 3.75 years.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: November 03, 2013, 04:44:24 PM »

explain, please.

it sounds like you will have it for 3.75 years.
correct

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: November 03, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »
so that's the question then.  the rest of the year where you earn it, plus the next calender year is 1.x years, but you have yours 3.75 years.  how did you do that?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: November 03, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
so that's the question then.  the rest of the year where you earn it, plus the next calender year is 1.x years, but you have yours 3.75 years.  how did you do that?
I can't speak for rams but when my GF's companion pass expires, she is going to get the cards and I will fly for free.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: November 03, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
I got the biz and personal plus cards in 2012 (plus the additional points to get me to 110k) so i got the companion pass around march '12 which will last through the end of the year.  I just applied for the biz and personal premier cards and I'll time it so that the bonus points (plus the additional points) will hit my rewards account shortly after the 5th of January, so I'll have the pass for all of '14 and '15 as well.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »
got it, i was thinking it was from a single event.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: November 03, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »
50K SW was still up earlier today fwiw
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: November 04, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
70k Platinum Marriott bonus is avail. (Could always be, but I normally see 50k).

They are dicks when you cancel   

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: November 05, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
So Mrs. WNK and I are wanting to travel to Australia around Sept. 2014.  We have a few CC's (Southwest being the one with points) and are looking to sign up for a few more to really start taking advantage of flyer miles and other rewards.  We were thinking Discover card (random rewards) and British Airways (Avios rewards) but want your expert opinions.  Looks like if I signed up for BA now, I will only get 50k Avios (which is a one-way to Brisbane for one person).  Need some help here from the CC experts on best ones to sign up for at this point in time.  Mrs. WNK just graduated from Law School back in May so we are now a two income family (DINKs - Dual Income No Kids) and we want to have a little fun before WNK Jr's start popping out.  We have great credit status and are home owners (not sure if relevant but maybe?).  I'd love to learn to be a card churner. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »
has anyone ever gotten the SW companion pass?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: November 05, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
has anyone ever gotten the SW companion pass?

Nope, never been done in this thread.  Too difficult to get.