Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006369 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4525 on: October 30, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »
Kind of OT but not really. Say I use my points and get a $100 Home Depot gift card. Can I go to Home Depot and buy another stores gift card of the same value with that?  I'm doubting it, but they sell a bunch of other gift cards and this would solve my problem. I have looked at those exchange sites and they basically offer 85-90% of the gift card value.

I have no idea. you should just get a discover card or something btw.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: October 30, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
Kind of OT but not really. Say I use my points and get a $100 Home Depot gift card. Can I go to Home Depot and buy another stores gift card of the same value with that?  I'm doubting it, but they sell a bunch of other gift cards and this would solve my problem. I have looked at those exchange sites and they basically offer 85-90% of the gift card value.

I have no idea. you should just get a discover card or something btw.

or just pay for cash and jeffyhaggle everything. but my god if these series of posts just isn't the most infuriating thing ever.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: October 30, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
yeah you should really stop asking about using your points for gift cards...or prepare to be pi'd I guess.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: October 30, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
this thread is here to help people. not to help them be complete dumbasses.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: October 30, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »

i mean i suppose i could start that thread if we feel like it's needed.

Q. hey daris...
A. hit yourself over the head w/ a hammer

Q. hey daris...
A. run yourself over with your car

Q. hey daris...
A. convert all your credit card points to gift cards

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »
is it better to book AA metal with Avios?  I ask because my work amex can transfer points to Avios but not to AA, and once I move to DFW, AA is prob going to be my go-to airline.
emaw

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: October 30, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »
is it better to book AA metal with Avios?  I ask because my work amex can transfer points to Avios but not to AA, and once I move to DFW, AA is prob going to be my go-to airline.
it's great for short haul flights because avios has a distance based award chart.  shitty for international because there are huge fuel surcharges.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »
it's great for short haul flights because avios has a distance based award chart.  shitty for international because there are huge fuel surcharges.

correct, international flights (at least on BA) are horribad with fees and fuel surcharges  (like $600 to UK)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: October 30, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
sweet, thx
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: October 31, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »

not true. the fuel surcharges are the same no matter what point you use. they are based on whose metal you are flying. if you are booking an AA flight (or Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Air Berlin, Japan Air, etc.) with Avios the fuel surcharge will be the same as whatever AA (or other airline) would have charged for using their own points. Availaibility is tough to find on some routes though. it's the same for using AA miles to book BA flights, there will be high fuel surcharges. There are some fuel surchages for flying into Europe but not like you would get flying on BA metal.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:06 AM »

not true. the fuel surcharges are the same no matter what point you use. they are based on whose metal you are flying. if you are booking an AA flight (or Cathay Pacific, Air Berlin, Japan Air, etc.) with Avios the fuel surcharge will be the same as whatever AA (or other airline) would have charged for using their own points. Availaibility is tough to find on some routes though. it's the same for using AA miles to book BA flights, there will be high fuel surcharges.

yes to what sd said. if you use avios to fly AA and you should then you just pay the AA fuel charges, etc.  i really can't imagine anything better than living in dallas with gobs of BA points. maybe living in miami with gobs of them? i don't know. either would be pretty great. you could fly round trips to anywhere in mexico for 15k BA plus probably somewhere around $80. as long as there is a AA saver award (T code for us pros) available then you can book it. if not then you can book first class for three times as many points.

here. have fun....
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/avios-calculator/public/en_us

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: October 31, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »

not true. the fuel surcharges are the same no matter what point you use. they are based on whose metal you are flying. if you are booking an AA flight (or Cathay Pacific, Air Berlin, Japan Air, etc.) with Avios the fuel surcharge will be the same as whatever AA (or other airline) would have charged for using their own points. Availaibility is tough to find on some routes though. it's the same for using AA miles to book BA flights, there will be high fuel surcharges.

yes to what sd said. if you use avios to fly AA and you should then you just pay the AA fuel charges, etc.  i really can't imagine anything better than living in dallas with gobs of BA points. maybe living in miami with gobs of them? i don't know. either would be pretty great. you could fly round trips to anywhere in mexico for 15k BA plus probably somewhere around $80. as long as there is a AA saver award (T code for us pros) available then you can book it. if not then you can book first class for three times as many points.

here. have fun....
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/avios-calculator/public/en_us

Here are a bunch of examples with routes on partner airlines showing fuel surcharges and points

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/how-to-redeem-british-airways-avios-without-huge-fees/

Living in LA with a bunch of Avios would be pretty great. Spur of the moment weekend trips to Kauai for 25k RT.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »
I've used this thread as motivation to get into the cc/miles earnings.  But I've got a question if anyone might know off hand.  I'm flying to palau in spring/summer of 2015.  Would absolutely love to be able to go from zero to enough miles to fly for free.  Is this even possible in that time span (my research is pretty limited at this point in time).  The likely airline everyone is traveling is United. 
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: October 31, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
I've used this thread as motivation to get into the cc/miles earnings.  But I've got a question if anyone might know off hand.  I'm flying to palau in spring/summer of 2015.  Would absolutely love to be able to go from zero to enough miles to fly for free.  Is this even possible in that time span (my research is pretty limited at this point in time).  The likely airline everyone is traveling is United.

Yes, aboslutely doable. You've left yourself enough time to get there (probably in business or first class if you want). Start getting UR points. Sapphire Preferred, Ink business cards, etc. When another 50k United offer comes up get that as well. I will be right back with points figures and class.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: October 31, 2013, 09:36:52 AM »
Yeah, it's going to be 70k UA RT for each person in coach, 120k UA in Biz and 150k UA in 1st. One Ink Biz card will get you 50k+ UR points which are transferable to UA so this will be easy for you. If you have a spouse or someone else you need to get a ticket for and they are unwilling to play along it will be more difficult but still pretty pud if you don't mind flying coach.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »
There's currently pretty decent availability for spring/summer 2014 so if you are even moderately flexible you have about a year to get these points. If you need exact dates you will want to book 330 days out just to be safe so work backwards from your travel dates to make sure you get the exact dates and flights you want.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: October 31, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »

to fly economy it's 130k miles (plus $27.50 fees).     

The standard chase offer is 30k, sometimes 50 or 60k.  They are Chase cards, so they should be churnable within that time frame.    They also have seperate business cards, so you can also get those.

Should be doable, with a plan.

It's a 26hr flight though, so economy would suck.

*edit*  forgot about sd's point on UR transfers.     If you can make the spends, and flying solo, I'd go all out and blitz for first class.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: October 31, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
They are Chase cards, so they should be churnable within that time frame.   

:dubious:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »

steve when i read this i was like oh boy steve is gonna be so mad. should have gussed dubious tho.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »

while OFFICIALLY you are unable to churn, people do succeed.  Minimum I've read about is about 18mos though, from date of app.   I guess in retrospect as it's already November, a churn would be unlikely.   But he's got enough cards to choose from anyways.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
correction - in revisiting the topic, the Chase timeframe is from CANCELLATION to RE-APPLICATION, so a no go for that time frame.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: October 31, 2013, 11:11:41 AM »
Huge thanks guys, I've got stuff to work with now, and i'm going to shoot for 1st class now that i've got an idea what i'm working towards.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »

You guys are being pretty mean fwiw. Thought we were all friends here but guess not. Was just curious about getting some gift cards since I have no use for travel rewards. I'm sitting on a 1.2 million Marriott points, a few Hyatt, 120k member rewards, 50k chase, and a bunch if random airline miles I prob won't use. I normally just transfer to gift cards to buy fun stuff because I don't need/want any more travel rewards and I was just looking for the best way.

Eat one and  :cry:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: October 31, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »

You guys are being pretty mean fwiw. Thought we were all friends here but guess not. Was just curious about getting some gift cards since I have no use for travel rewards. I'm sitting on a 1.2 million Marriott points, a few Hyatt, 120k member rewards, 50k chase, and a bunch if random airline miles I prob won't use. I normally just transfer to gift cards to buy fun stuff because I don't need/want any more travel rewards and I was just looking for the best way.

Eat one and  :cry:

discover card, tho