Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1001931 times)

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4325 on: August 22, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »

Why wouldn't you cancel a Chase card before the annual fee?
I'm not saying you shouldn't cancel a card before the annual fee, just don't cancel it outright.  always apply for a new card and have that credit transferred.  once you've canceled a card outright you've given up that available credit and they have to decide whether or not to give it back to you.  if you just keep transferring it you'll never lose it.  chase is never going to just reduce your credit available (unless you're a huge dumbass) so why do it for them?

Let's say I have 4 chase cards with a $5k limit ($20k total). I cancel one, now I have $15k of credit w/ Chase. If I try to open a new one w/ a 5k limit and my income/overall credit didn't change, why wouldn't they do it?

they would
yes they most likely would...assuming your overall credit didn't change and they didn't change their credit issuing policies in any way.  buy why take that chance unless you've just run out of chase cards to apply for?  I prefer not to give back any credit that's already been given to me because then I'm leaving it up to them as to whether or not to give it to me again at some point.  if I never cancel a card outright then they never have to increase my credit line so they never have to decide to take on more risk with me.  it gives them very little incentive not to give me the new card.  do whatever you want though.

You can cancel a card and transfer the credit at the same time. I've canceled a number of chase cards to avoid the fees. When I cancel I just have them transfer the credit to other open chase cards. Just another option if you don't have other chase cards you want to apply for at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4326 on: August 22, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »

Why wouldn't you cancel a Chase card before the annual fee?
I'm not saying you shouldn't cancel a card before the annual fee, just don't cancel it outright.  always apply for a new card and have that credit transferred.  once you've canceled a card outright you've given up that available credit and they have to decide whether or not to give it back to you.  if you just keep transferring it you'll never lose it.  chase is never going to just reduce your credit available (unless you're a huge dumbass) so why do it for them?

Let's say I have 4 chase cards with a $5k limit ($20k total). I cancel one, now I have $15k of credit w/ Chase. If I try to open a new one w/ a 5k limit and my income/overall credit didn't change, why wouldn't they do it?

they would
yes they most likely would...assuming your overall credit didn't change and they didn't change their credit issuing policies in any way.  buy why take that chance unless you've just run out of chase cards to apply for?  I prefer not to give back any credit that's already been given to me because then I'm leaving it up to them as to whether or not to give it to me again at some point.  if I never cancel a card outright then they never have to increase my credit line so they never have to decide to take on more risk with me.  it gives them very little incentive not to give me the new card.  do whatever you want though.

You can cancel a card and transfer the credit at the same time. I've canceled a number of chase cards to avoid the fees. When I cancel I just have them transfer the credit to other open chase cards. Just another option if you don't have other chase cards you want to apply for at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
yeah. that's another option.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #4327 on: August 22, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
You should cancel as many as possible because it makes you feel like you are truly churning.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: August 24, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
Junction City HI supposed to be on the Point breaks list coming out Monday.  They would be really stupid to have game days available there but you never know.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: August 25, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »
anyone know tips on using usair miles?  i'm so incompetent at booking w. miles.  want to fly to mex from fat, return from aca to either fat or a bay area airport.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: August 25, 2013, 08:10:45 AM »
anyone know tips on using usair miles?  i'm so incompetent at booking w. miles.  want to fly to mex from fat, return from aca to either fat or a bay area airport.

How many miles do you have? The most sucky thing about usair miles is that they don't let you book one way tickets. you can have an open jaw in mexico if you want though. what dates?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: August 25, 2013, 08:17:36 AM »
looks like you're going to be stopping over in either LAX or SFO both ways. good options on UA and some Aeromar which I'm not familiar with but is apparently Star Alliance. 35k in coach and 60k in first. use the united award booking engine, pick the flights you want and then call usair and book the flight. they won't let you book online star alliance awards and it doesn't look like they have flights themselves. I'd hurry as well because they are leaving star alliance any day now.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: August 25, 2013, 01:30:20 PM »
do they charge for the call, or make you use more miles?  i have united and american miles i can use, just preferred to burn us air miles in case they never get around to becoming american miles.

also usair is supposed to give you a 5k miles discount on the booking.  if i don't get that with calling, and i have to call vs book online, maybe should just burn the united miles.

dates are 9/27 or 9/28 and return about 2 weeks later (return is flexible).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: August 25, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
I don't know about the charge. United miles are, IMO, a lot more valuable than USAir miles so Id use the USAir miles if you can.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: August 25, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »
United miles are, IMO, a lot more valuable than USAir miles so Id use the USAir miles if you can.

ok, thanks.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
New 50k AA Mastercard offer with landing page

http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/disclaimers/BP-PLATHV.jsp

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: August 26, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »

Well crap, I just applied and received the Visa version last week.  Wonder how long this will be open?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: August 26, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »

Well crap, I just applied and received the Visa version last week.  Wonder how long this will be open?

I think you can get it right now if you want it.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: August 26, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »
steve, spidey sense is telling me thats a good offer. thanks for the tip  :D
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: August 26, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
steve, spidey sense is telling me thats a good offer. thanks for the tip  :D

it's pretty standard but the mastercard version has been 40k iirc for a bit. also, they (the 50k offers) usually don't have a landing page showing the bonus so some people have been hesitant to apply for them. I always did and I always got the 50k though.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »

I thought you had to wait 18 months or so between citi aa apps. for a while you could do 2 on the same day but that stopped a few months ago.  :confused:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: August 26, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »

I thought you had to wait 18 months or so between citi aa apps. for a while you could do 2 on the same day but that stopped a few months ago.  :confused:

you can still do the visa and mastercard back to back. I just did a few months ago (though I only got 40k for the mastercard). you have to wait like 18 months (though some people on FT dispute the exact date) between each version.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: August 26, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »

you can still do the visa and mastercard back to back. I just did a few months ago (though I only got 40k for the mastercard). you have to wait like 18 months (though some people on FT dispute the exact date) between each version.
just so I'm clear...

I got the mastercard 40k version in december of '12.  are you saying that I can now apply for the visa version and mastercard version at the same time and get 90k total?  I thought that was the "2 browser trick" that doesn't work anymore. also it's time for me to churn the business version again. should I wait 60 days and then do that for 50k more?

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: August 26, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »

How long is the MC one estimated to be around?  Just want to make sure I can meet the minimums.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: August 26, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
I don't think it has an expiration date right now. Could be here long term could be gone later today.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: August 26, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »
now I'm just upset all over again about my fiancee signing up for 30k AA bonus without consulting me
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: August 26, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
I got the mastercard 40k version in december of '12.  are you saying that I can now apply for the visa version and mastercard version at the same time and get 90k total?  I thought that was the "2 browser trick" that doesn't work anymore. also it's time for me to churn the business version again. should I wait 60 days and then do that for 50k more?

if you got the mc in 12/12, you can't get a mc again now.  whether you want to try again in 14 months or 18 is up to you, but you're almost certain to get rejected at 9.

if you haven't had the visa or ameex in 14 or 18, you should be good to get those.  two browser supposedly doesn't work anymore, but you can apply for 1 card, wait at least 3 day then apply for another one.  can't apply for 2nd card within 2-3 days of the first application, can't apply for more than two cards in any 65 day period.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: August 26, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »

if you got the mc in 12/12, you can't get a mc again now.  whether you want to try again in 14 months or 18 is up to you, but you're almost certain to get rejected at 9.

if you haven't had the visa or ameex in 14 or 18, you should be good to get those.  two browser supposedly doesn't work anymore, but you can apply for 1 card, wait at least 3 day then apply for another one.  can't apply for 2nd card within 2-3 days of the first application, can't apply for more than two cards in any 65 day period.
yeah.  I did some searching at ft and apparently crap was going haywire for a while recently with people churning cards like every 8 days or something Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  obviously that didn't last long and now we're back to not knowing what the eff the rules are for the citi aa cards.   :curse:  they appear to be updating the wiki post at the front of this thread like every 5 hours now because nobody really knows what the hell is going on.  :sdeek:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1475783-citi-aa-credit-cards-best-offers-now-50k-read-wikipost-first-99.html

I think I'm just gonna apply for the personal visa in the next couple days with my big churn since I've already had the mastercard and then wait a couple weeks and apply for the biz version. I'm positive citi will mush my face on the biz though since they haven't seemed to keen to approve me shortly after a churn.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: August 26, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »

yeah.  I did some searching at ft and apparently crap was going haywire for a while recently with people churning cards like every 8 days or something Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  obviously that didn't last long and now we're back to not knowing what the eff the rules are for the citi aa cards.   :curse:  they appear to be updating the wiki post at the front of this thread like every 5 hours now because nobody really knows what the hell is going on.  :sdeek:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1475783-citi-aa-credit-cards-best-offers-now-50k-read-wikipost-first-99.html

I think I'm just gonna apply for the personal visa in the next couple days with my big churn since I've already had the mastercard and then wait a couple weeks and apply for the biz version. I'm positive citi will mush my face on the biz though since they haven't seemed to keen to approve me shortly after a churn.

Just read the same thing and was about to post.  Glad I didn't waste a pull.  Sucks that I get my first AA card right as crap starts to get jacked up

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: August 26, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »
just got the SPG AMEX and the Sapphire.  :dance:

Man the sapphire is a elite looking card and I think it is also bullet proof