Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002046 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3775 on: May 13, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
SD, should I be paying rent, loans, etc. all with my CC to gain points and then pay it off immediately? I've thought about this, but I could see how it could get you into trouble if you weren't paying attention all the time.

yes absolutely, though it might take a phone call. make sure to call the place that is giving the loan and mention specifically that you want to pay with a credit card. they might give you a little trouble here because generally the loan places dont like to give people free points (theyre all in it together, you know) but i think if you ask to speak to the manager with your sales skills you could pull it off... good luck!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: May 13, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
WC08, don't ever swipe your debit card again. As long as you don't be a complete idiot and you keep an eye on your balance, you will be fine. Just don't spend more than you can pay off. I use my mint.com account which has a widget on my phone that shows my checking account balance and my credit card debt. That way I can tell how much more I can spend before payday.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: May 13, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
WC08, don't ever swipe your debit card again. As long as you don't be a complete idiot and you keep an eye on your balance, you will be fine. Just don't spend more than you can pay off. I use my mint.com account which has a widget on my phone that shows my checking account balance and my credit card debt. That way I can tell how much more I can spend before payday.
Yeah, I'm cc debt free. I just have them in case of an emergency now. However, I do like free flights. I'll be smart with it.  :D

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3778 on: May 13, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm cc debt free. I just have them in case of an emergency now. However, I do like free flights. I'll be smart with it.  :D
You should probably cancel all of your cards and start with new ones that have spending bonuses.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: May 13, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
You should probably cancel all of your cards and start with new ones that have spending bonuses.
:eek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: May 13, 2013, 12:51:19 PM »
wackycat, we're buds. we both know that. just back out of this thread and don't open it again. that's honest friendship level advice.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: May 13, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »
wackycat, we're buds. we both know that. just back out of this thread and don't open it again. that's honest friendship level advice.
Thanks for being honest, SD. That's what friends IRL do for one another.  :cheers: :clac:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: May 13, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
i should know this, but i don't.  can i get a bonus for getting an aa visa while i still hold an aa amex? personal cards.

fanning, we both know i hate you, but you should listen to steve dave.  you're not cut out for credit card churning.  that's honest friendly advice from someone who'd like nothing better than for you to go out and do stupid things with your credit cards and then post about it so that i can lol @ you.  (i'll lol @ you as soon as you pay your rent and loans with a cc and post about it).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: May 13, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
i should know this, but i don't.  can i get a bonus for getting an aa visa while i still hold an aa amex? personal cards.

I have had both at the same time a lot of times but not in the last year or so. Unless it's changed you should be good.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »

fanning, we both know i hate you, but you should listen to steve dave.  you're not cut out for credit card churning.  that's honest friendly advice from someone who'd like nothing better than for you to go out and do stupid things with your credit cards and then post about it so that i can lol @ you.  (i'll lol @ you as soon as you pay your rent and loans with a cc and post about it).
That's like the nicest thing you've ever said to me.  :cheers:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: May 13, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »

I have had both at the same time a lot of times but not in the last year or so. Unless it's changed you should be good.

i don't think you can apply for both on the same day now though. you have to apply for one and then wait two days and then apply for the other. pretty sure anyway. if you already have one then yes, you can apply for and get the other.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: May 13, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
thanks, sd and rd.  fanning, i've said nice things to you before.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: May 13, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
thanks, sd and rd.  fanning, i've said nice things to you before.
Very true.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: May 13, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »
fanning sorry for being mean. glass houses over here... ya know.  :cheers:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: May 13, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
fanning sorry for being mean. glass houses over here... ya know.  :cheers:
:cheers:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: May 13, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »
I have a question that most of you will probably think is really stupid, and it probably is. Do you get penalized for taking a cash advance? I mean, I know it's a higher APR, but I haven't had a finance charge in years. Would it work just like a purchase in that there is no interest as long as I'm still paying the balance, I receive the same miles, and it goes toward my spend bonus?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3791 on: May 14, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »
No miles or spend for cash

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: May 14, 2013, 06:12:30 AM »
Got it.  You're a saint for answering all these n00b questions.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: May 14, 2013, 09:10:25 AM »
moving into a buddy's house and going to pay him rent with the square app on his phone  :gocho:
emaw

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »

Plus, most (all?) cash advances don't have grace periods - you'll be paying high interest on the balance immediately after taking the advance.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3795 on: May 14, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »

Plus, most (all?) cash advances don't have grace periods - you'll be paying high interest on the balance immediately after taking the advance.
That's another thing I was thinking. Pretty losery thing is the cash advance. I can understand why they don't go toward your points or spending bonus, because you could just take the cash advance and then pay it off with that cash.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: May 17, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
alright credit card nerds...

with my fresh new start on my credit I applied for 4 or 5 cards that all gain points and I can meet the spending on this week. So far I've been approved for discover it and chase sapphire sent me an email saying they'll call soon to discuss my application. The others said they will mail responses... SW and United.

What happens if I only active like one or two? Can I just hang to the others for a certain period of time until I feel I can meet the spending requirements? I want one with cash back and one with miles... I can pretty easily spend $1000 on two cards in three months. What should I do with my existing non point earning card? Just pay everything off it and cut the card in half, or cancel? I always thought canceling was bad...

Feel like I'm doing something wrong here!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: May 17, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »
i don't know that the activation date matters.  i always assumed that the spend clock started from when they issued you the card, but maybe i've been wrong these many years.

if your existing card charges an annual fee, cancel it before the fee is due.  if it doesn't, put it somewhere where you'll neither lose it nor use it by mistake and leave it there for eternity.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: May 17, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »
KSC, jesus christ. you don't apply for that many chase cards in one day. please let me know before you apply for anything again and I will give you the old red light/green light treatment. and on top of the three chase cards you applied for a discover? am I reading that right?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
KSC, jesus christ. you don't apply for that many chase cards in one day. please let me know before you apply for anything again and I will give you the old red light/green light treatment. and on top of the three chase cards you applied for a discover? am I reading that right?

Uh nope I'm mixing them up. American not united, citi. So the SW and sapphire are both chase, damn. I knew not to apply for two from the same bank but I guess I thought SW was through visa. Oh well... I tried. Sometimes I just get so caught up in trying to be independent from your life planning advice I make mistakes   :frown: