Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002657 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3625 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
So, I paid my state taxes yesterday and noticed that there was an option to pay using a credit card. I owed about $4000 and thought putting it on the card would be a great way to get a free vacation out of the deal. The service charge for using the card was about $100, though, (thanks, Obama) so I decided to just pay out of my bank account. Just for future reference, is there a card out there that I could have signed up for and gotten a reasonable vacation out of despite having to pay the extra $100?

You'd essentially be buying miles for 2.5 cents a mile. An Ultimate Reward point, United mile or American mile may be worth that but I wouldn't have done it unless I was trying to hit an amount of points for an upcoming trip. There are a couple ways to reduce that fee though:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2013/01/15/pay-federal-taxes-by-credit-card-almost-for-free/

ultimately it seems like more of a pain in the ass than I would find worth it but YMMV. as chicat said, hitting a min. spend would be one way it would be worth it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: April 16, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
So, I paid my state taxes yesterday and noticed that there was an option to pay using a credit card. I owed about $4000 and thought putting it on the card would be a great way to get a free vacation out of the deal. The service charge for using the card was about $100, though, (thanks, Obama) so I decided to just pay out of my bank account. Just for future reference, is there a card out there that I could have signed up for and gotten a reasonable vacation out of despite having to pay the extra $100?

I know I'm new to this credit card deal, but $100 seems like a pretty cheap vacay imo  :dunno:

Yeah, but I guess the question is really whether $4000 is enough to put on a credit card and actually go some place nice.

yes is the short and lazy answer to your question. also, i'm just going to have to back out of this thread completely and stop giving advice. it's like teaching basic math to a group of third graders but it's not the good third graders, it's the ones that smell and kick other kids and have shown no propensity for learning despite numerous attempts to already teach them and i just can't do it anymore. godspeed sd.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »

I know I'm new to this credit card deal, but $100 seems like a pretty cheap vacay imo  :dunno:

Yeah, but I guess the question is really whether $4000 is enough to put on a credit card and actually go some place nice.

yes is the short and lazy answer to your question. also, i'm just going to have to back out of this thread completely and stop giving advice. it's like teaching basic math to a group of third graders but it's not the good third graders, it's the ones that smell and kick other kids and have shown no propensity for learning despite numerous attempts to already teach them and i just can't do it anymore. godspeed sd.

lol, yeah.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: April 16, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
does it hurt you to apply for cards for the hell of it?

like, i just applied for a chase sapphire preferred kind of just for fun and they said they need more time to review my application.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: April 16, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »

like, i just applied for a chase sapphire preferred kind of just for fun and they said they need more time to review my application.

not really. maybe a point or two for a short time. call chase right now at 1-888-245-0625 and ask them what their problem is. usually that's all it takes to get approved.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/credit-card-application-reconsideration-line-phone-numbers/

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »

it will reduce your credit score some, but how much varies on your credit history.    If you have a large credit purchase coming up (mortgage, car, etc) it would be best to wait until after (especially if doing multiple cards), as it could affect the rate offered.   But for most it's not a significant issue.

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: April 16, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
Just tried for a 55k UA card w/ $1000 spend in 3 months. tried the trick in post 1654:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1330475-ua-mileage-explorer-card-offer-up-60k-miles-now-65k-50-statement-credit-111.html

I won't be able to know the bonus until I call the rep when I activate. Hope it works. Also, why do those dickheads do the post number instead of links or quotes? eff off with that crap.

Please report back what you find out. I'll be needing to get that card later in the year. Always scares me to apply for a card and not have a page telling me I'll get x amount of points.

I know it's been talked about on here before, but I just got the CSP last week. Crazy how heavy this card is.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: April 16, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »
I know I'm late on this one, but can you believe lucky is scared of flying now?  :frown:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3633 on: April 16, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
He'll get over it. It's all he has.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3634 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »

Please start a personal thread for me to lurk in then. TIA.
:adios:

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
catching up on this thread as i'm looking for the next option after hitting the spend needed on chase sapphire pref.

what's the window/timeline looking like for USAirways to AA points?  Are the 35k/no fee or 40k/fee offers dead?
I just got something in the mail about a 40k AA offer.

there are 50k AA cards. he's talking about US Air cards.

Thanks for all the help on this one, guys.  :flush:

About to buy a house and buy a crap ton of furniture and crap.  Figured I'd open a new card for that.  Just hit the Sapphire Preferred spend in a month.  Piece of cake.  What's next?  I've recently had SPG, AA, BA.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: April 19, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
there are still US Air cards available. 50k AA. 50k Gold Amex. Other Ultimate Rewards cards. Rusty's 50k United deal looks good. start churning Frontier if you live in a Frontier city. tons of options.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »
Just tried for a 55k UA card w/ $1000 spend in 3 months. tried the trick in post 1654:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1330475-ua-mileage-explorer-card-offer-up-60k-miles-now-65k-50-statement-credit-111.html

I won't be able to know the bonus until I call the rep when I activate. Hope it works. Also, why do those dickheads do the post number instead of links or quotes? eff off with that crap.

Please report back what you find out. I'll be needing to get that card later in the year. Always scares me to apply for a card and not have a page telling me I'll get x amount of points.

I know it's been talked about on here before, but I just got the CSP last week. Crazy how heavy this card is.

I still haven't gotten the rough ridin' card even though I was instantly approved (with credit line and everything). Calling this afternoon.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3638 on: April 19, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
Sick of this

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: April 19, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
I guess the email sent last Friday said 5-7 business days. But still bullshit. Just mail the rough rider.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: April 19, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »
Random contribution to the thread, the idea that you can't apply/have a bunch of credits cards and get a (large) home loan is an absolute myth.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: April 20, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

it worked!

50k with $1000 spend +5k when you add an authorized user.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: April 20, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
 :thumbs:

that's a good deal. 50k is a one way biz class to europe on swiss or lufty or brussels or austrian. all elite euro carriers. 62.5k for first.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: April 20, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »

that's a good deal. 50k is a one way biz class to europe on swiss or lufty or brussels or austrian. all elite euro carriers. 62.5k for first.

will probably end up being two saver rt's to visit family on the east coast. :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: April 20, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »

will probably end up being two saver rt's to visit family on the east coast. :frown:

STILL A HUGE MONEY SAVER MOMMY POINTS!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3645 on: April 20, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »

STILL A HUGE MONEY SAVER MOMMY POINTS!

:frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: April 20, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
it actually is though. trans con tickets are as expensive as trans atlantic a good amount of time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: April 20, 2013, 02:06:07 PM »
Quote from:  that stud prince
I will pay for your tubing and banana boating. Come with me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: April 20, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
also, wtf with not taking him up on his fishing and other excursion offers? JFC.