Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003701 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3500 on: March 01, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
Just approved for my AA rapid rewards visa.  How often can you churn that?

lol wut

Yeah, I meant SW.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 01, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
Just approved for my AA rapid rewards visa.  How often can you churn that?

lol wut

Yeah, I meant SW.

takes a long time with chase. like 6 years iirc. they have 4 different $50k cards right now though. you can get one of each if you wanted.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3502 on: March 01, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
If you haven't seen it both 50k SW personal cards are back. So there are 2 different personal and 2 business cards. if you were uncomfortable signing up for a biz card to get the companion pass you no longer have to. or you can get 200k+ sw miles and the companion pass and you and the spouse/gf/bud can take 8-12 RT domestic flights together for free in the next 1.8 years

Great news sd! I just got the companion pass so I will definitely be getting those other 100k miles so I can get some crazy fun traveling in!
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3503 on: March 01, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
If you haven't seen it both 50k SW personal cards are back. So there are 2 different personal and 2 business cards. if you were uncomfortable signing up for a biz card to get the companion pass you no longer have to. or you can get 200k+ sw miles and the companion pass and you and the spouse/gf/bud can take 8-12 RT domestic flights together for free in the next 1.8 years

Great news sd! I just got the companion pass so I will definitely be getting those other 100k miles so I can get some crazy fun traveling in!

they should start their Hawaiin routes by then so you and the mrs. could fly there super easy a few times if you don't mind sitting in coach of a 737 for that long.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3504 on: March 01, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »

they should start their Hawaiin routes by then so you and the mrs. could fly there super easy a few times if you don't mind sitting in coach of a 737 for that long.

Good to know. I'm gonna blow a bunch of Hilton points here soon so I'll need to re-stock with some hotel points. I haven't taken the time to see if I want to continue with Hilton (considering the new levels) or choose a new hotel line for my credit card spending/churning.
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 01, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »
I'd pound all the ultimate reward cards and then you'll be able to transfer them to Hyatt if you want. they are by far the best current value in hotel rewards imo.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 02, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »

Looking at this deal...there is some differing opinion out there if you can sign up for the 2 personal cards at the same time and get 100k points?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 02, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »

Looking at this deal...there is some differing opinion out there if you can sign up for the 2 personal cards at the same time and get 100k points?

I don't know. I've never done it. refer to flyertalk. I'm definitely not a SW pro. but, I know you can get a personal and a business and you shouldn't be scared to get a business.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 03, 2013, 12:17:50 AM »

I don't know. I've never done it. refer to flyertalk. I'm definitely not a SW pro. but, I know you can get a personal and a business and you shouldn't be scared to get a business.

Yeah probably just do that.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
list of priority club codes...is there one somewhere?

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: March 04, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »
Inspired by SteveDave and RickDaris, I've decided to jump into this crazy game. I've even committed myself to reading every page of this thread ( :sdeek: ), and am up to page 40 or so.

Before I finish the thread(and it will take me forever to finish), I have a few observations and a few questions.

Observations (based on the first 40 pages):
-SD is the best at this stuff, so his advice takes precedence over everyone else's. (Sorry, Rams.) RD is second-best, and I know I will be reticent to spend any points I get, just like him.
-SD frequents multiple message boards?!  :sdeek:
-Deals in 2013 aren't as good as they were in 2011.

Questions:
1) What are the best deals out there for a n00b like me? From reading the last couple of pages, it seems like I should bang the Southwest personal and business cards (feel ambivalent about Southwest metal, but they fly a lot of places I go), and maybe the Amex Gold? Is this right?
2) What kind of rewards (plane, hotel, cash) does the Amex provide? It's a little unclear to me.
3) Would any of the cards listed above be good for an everyday card, or should I get a different one for normal use? (Where I'm at in the thread, everyone seems gaga for the Chase Sapphire. Is that still what the cool kids are using?)
4) Any chance there's a good AA deal out there right now?
5) Could I get an AA card and a USAir card (if it exists) and then have the miles combine once the merger is complete, similar to the Continental/United deal?

Background:
-I'm :kstategrad:, so meeting the spend on these is not a problem.
-Already have a house, won't be buying a new car anytime soon.
-Travel a lot for family stuff, so plane tix are my primary target here. Hotels are nice and might help get Mrs. WM on board, but they're a secondary focus for me right now.
-Really sad I didn't get in on this game years ago when I was still  :dance: with all the cool kids.

Thanks in advance.  :cheers:  :AA:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
Inspired by SteveDave and RickDaris, I've decided to jump into this crazy game. I've even committed myself to reading every page of this thread ( :sdeek: ), and am up to page 40 or so...

whoa whoa whoa...let me stop you right there.  please, for the love of god, don't waste your time reading every page of this thread.  sounds like you've got the gist of it. now just go here: www.millionmilesecrets.com and you can pretty much figure out everything else you need to know.  daraius pretty much gets all the pertinent info from flyertalk and everywhere else and summarizes into his blog.  start with the tabs up top for the "hot deals" and "new to miles and points" if you need to and then subscribe to his blog to get the daily email updates.  a lot of it is worthless interviews and blogs from his trips, but he does update it with all the important stuff too.  come back here to ask any questions you can't get answered on there.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: March 04, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »
How many kids?  If you and your wife both companion passed a kid on Southwest, they could basically fly for free. 

The Southwest deal has to get its value more from frequency of trips.  Other airline deals are better if you are looking at cashing in on one elite big $$$ trip.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #3513 on: March 04, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »
The US Air and AA miles will eventually combine. Should be transferable between programs at some point before they turn into the same program. I would get the US Air, Gold Amex, AA, and a couple SW cards now if I were you. Sign up for all of them on the same day. Later you an get a sapphire preferred for everyday spend. The Amex points can be transferred to Delta, BA, some hotel programs or used to pay for travel directly. BA is probably the best transfer option.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 04, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
the wife and I's AMEX Gold cards arrive today....   :driving:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: March 04, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
Got the SW companion pass in the mail today, feel like a boss.

wondermeal, did you happen to play tennis at mhs?
I'm purple down

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 04, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »

Questions:
1) What are the best deals out there for a n00b like me? From reading the last couple of pages, it seems like I should bang the Southwest personal and business cards (feel ambivalent about Southwest metal, but they fly a lot of places I go), and maybe the Amex Gold? Is this right?

I just applied for the Chase cards for personal and business.  Personal went through no problem, business got held up as expected if you read about Chase applications.  Called the business line and they told me if you apply for 2 cards within 6 months (I did both same day) it has to get manually reviewed.  They reviewed it on the spot and after few questions about my business (legit, rental house business) they approved me for way more credit that I expected. 

Additional perk I didn't realize until today is you can use those points for international travel as long as you have the Southwest Chase card.  It's not as straightforward as my Cap1 Venture cards of buy the flight anywhere and use 100 points per dollar credit...but it seems to be pretty in line with 100 points per dollar of flight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 05, 2013, 07:00:51 AM »
Additional perk I didn't realize until today is you can use those points for international travel as long as you have the Southwest Chase card.  It's not as straightforward as my Cap1 Venture cards of buy the flight anywhere and use 100 points per dollar credit...but it seems to be pretty in line with 100 points per dollar of flight.

weird, did not know this. that's kind of a shitty redemption though.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: March 05, 2013, 07:14:52 AM »
So I got the Southwest Biz and Personal a while back and got my companion pass but finally got my "valentines" cardmember gift. Opened it expecting drink coupons that most on here reported getting, instead it was $50 off a business select fare.  So if anyone wants to use it PM me and I'll give you the code. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
So I got the Southwest Biz and Personal a while back and got my companion pass but finally got my "valentines" cardmember gift. Opened it expecting drink coupons that most on here reported getting, instead it was $50 off a business select fare.  So if anyone wants to use it PM me and I'll give you the code.

got that too. if you're flying a paid fair it could be a good way to offset the cost difference to business select and earn mor miles. but, the cost is usually double or more so in most instances it's useless. the only time I can see it being useful is if all the lower fare classes are sold out and there aren't any better non-SW options. so basically never.

http://www.southwest.com/businessselect/

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 05, 2013, 07:30:32 AM »
Sucks that my corporate card doesn't give me any points or count toward my credit score. :(

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 05, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »
Sucks that my corporate card doesn't give me any points or count toward my credit score. :(

if it's an Amex you can pay like $75 and have points go to another Amex program iirc

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 05, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »

if it's an Amex you can pay like $75 and have points go to another Amex program iirc
Really? I'll check into that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: March 05, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »

Really? I'll check into that.

I think it depends on what your company's agreement is with Amex. Ours is $75 a year to earn MR points. Here is a short flyertalk thread on it:

vrbaba

Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,991  You may be able to enroll your coporate card for a fee in the MR program. You keep the points that you earn from your business spending.

If you dont want work related expenses, then dont charge those on the corporate. It has nothing to do with the program.

However, the fee (anywhere from $35 - $75, or something else depending on your card, if eligible) will be charged to your corporate card. Not sure if thats a big deal. Usually most people just dont expense it. But it seems like policies are really strict from your post. 

Mar 8, 10, 9:31 am    #4 
simonjp

Programs: BA Silver (with Dah Sing BA CC), SPG
Posts: 112  our company allows this and it costs extra for the programme, and extra for the -> airmiles programme. the cost is an allowed one by policy and possibly restricted by firm to firm - you'll need to check your company first i think. 

Mar 8, 10, 9:43 am    #5 
YClass

Programs: BA Gold, M&M FT, VS Gold, Coutts Silk, Centurion & all that comes with....
Posts: 799  Most cards (green corp) its for a fee. Platinum Corp its included. If company won't pay it (like £23/year or something), not sure you can personally pay the fee without it appearing on the corp bill.

Linking MR to your personal MR won't be a problem. Just call Corp customer services. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 05, 2013, 07:49:35 AM »
Inspired by SteveDave and RickDaris, I've decided to jump into this crazy game. I've even committed myself to reading every page of this thread ( :sdeek: ), and am up to page 40 or so...

whoa whoa whoa...let me stop you right there.  please, for the love of god, don't waste your time reading every page of this thread.  sounds like you've got the gist of it. now just go here: www.millionmilesecrets.com and you can pretty much figure out everything else you need to know.  daraius pretty much gets all the pertinent info from flyertalk and everywhere else and summarizes into his blog.  start with the tabs up top for the "hot deals" and "new to miles and points" if you need to and then subscribe to his blog to get the daily email updates.  a lot of it is worthless interviews and blogs from his trips, but he does update it with all the important stuff too.  come back here to ask any questions you can't get answered on there.

I don't read daraius anymore. it's pretty much rehashing week old news and interviewing dorks.