Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002987 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2050 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »
It is pretty great.  I can honestly see you and the family just partying and owning that place for a week and never wanting to go anywhere else.

that sounds great. also, keep at least 40kAA in your back pocket because you, i and @pete_goEMAW are going to tokyo next spring.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2051 on: April 12, 2012, 06:14:53 AM »
I currently have only 12k AA because I blew 200k on upcoming euro trip

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 12, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
I currently have only 12k AA because I blew 200k on upcoming euro trip

better warm up your 50k AA biz apps. we have rooftop soccer matches to attend.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 12, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
Oh man, Daris is gonna get scammed into going to Tokyu instead of Tokyo.  :lol:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 13, 2012, 07:40:50 AM »
I think I'm going to start saving for a couple of those business class around the world tickets.  Have to decide if I am going to go with One World http://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares/ or Star Alliance http://www.staralliance.com/en/fares/round-the-world-fare/

Just from glancing at it I'm going to need between 400k and 600k of either AA or United.  Seems like Star Alliance is just a flat rate and no mileage restrictions but One World can be cheaper if you don't fly as many miles because they have three distance options.  Will probably take a few years to save this up.  Wish you could combine, like, US Air and United points for a Star Alliance award.  Would make it a lot quicker. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:26 AM »
I think I'm going to start saving for a couple of those business class around the world tickets.  Have to decide if I am going to go with One World http://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares/ or Star Alliance http://www.staralliance.com/en/fares/round-the-world-fare/

Just from glancing at it I'm going to need between 400k and 600k of either AA or United.  Seems like Star Alliance is just a flat rate and no mileage restrictions but One World can be cheaper if you don't fly as many miles because they have three distance options.  Will probably take a few years to save this up.  Wish you could combine, like, US Air and United points for a Star Alliance award.  Would make it a lot quicker.

yeah. two years sounds about right. apparently aa biz every six months and personal every 18, but you already know that. so depending on your last round of aa apps it could be sooner or later.  certainly looks fun.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 13, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »
I'm wondering if it would be easier to just pound those US Air Barclay cards and do that yearly promo thing where everyone gets 100k miles for doing all kinds of stupid crap.  I've never participated in that thing but everyone always talks about it. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »
I'm wondering if it would be easier to just pound those US Air Barclay cards and do that yearly promo thing where everyone gets 100k miles for doing all kinds of stupid crap.  I've never participated in that thing but everyone always talks about it.

why not do both? also, that year usair thing requires you to spend money in different ways on stuff that i prob wouldn't want to spend money on. at least i think it's like that. anyway, no reason you couldn't do both. also, there are some reports on usair possibly tightening up ship some and maybe not allowing people to churn as quickly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:37:28 AM by rick daris »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 13, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »
hmmm, ok.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 13, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
I'm late to the party, but Rick = Daraius?    Awesome...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »

he (daraius) does live in KC

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »

but Daris =/= Daraius?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 13, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »

but Daris =/= Daraius?

I don't know if Daris wants me to blow his cover or not so I'm going to leave that up to him....

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »

but Daris =/= Daraius?

I don't know if Daris wants me to blow his cover or not so I'm going to leave that up to him....

:peek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Lucky has a great post on using Avios to get to Dublin from Boston for 50k RT in biz class.  Get yourself to Boston on basically any dates and you can get Aer Lingus RT from Boston for 25k RT in coach or 50k in biz. 

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2012/04/13/aer-lingus-business-class-wide-open-using-british-airways-avios-points/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boardingarea%2Fonemileatatime+%28One+Mile+at+a+Time%29

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 13, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
Got this in the email:

15,000 bonus miles
are waiting for you

Dear Steve,

You can already earn miles for every purchase with your new US Airways Dividend Miles® MasterCard®. And with this special offer, your card is now more rewarding than ever. Earn 15,000 bonus miles when you spend over $1,250 in new purchases each month in May, June and July.¹

So, basically, it's like getting 5 USA miles per dollar spent if I spend about $1,250 on this card for each of the next three months.  I would never normally spend on this pile of crap but I think I may have to spend my first $1,250 on it for the next three. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: April 13, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
Got this in the email:

15,000 bonus miles
are waiting for you

Dear Steve,

You can already earn miles for every purchase with your new US Airways Dividend Miles® MasterCard®. And with this special offer, your card is now more rewarding than ever. Earn 15,000 bonus miles when you spend over $1,250 in new purchases each month in May, June and July.¹

So, basically, it's like getting 5 USA miles per dollar spent if I spend about $1,250 on this card for each of the next three months.  I would never normally spend on this pile of crap but I think I may have to spend my first $1,250 on it for the next three.

buy a couple of fully refundable tickets on southwest that are worth $1,300. wait for the points to post. cancel tickets.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 13, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »
Got this in the email:

15,000 bonus miles
are waiting for you

Dear Steve,

buy a couple of fully refundable tickets on southwest that are worth $1,300. wait for the points to post. cancel tickets.

yeah, but I'd have to do that 3 months in a row.  would that still work?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 13, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »
Got this in the email:

15,000 bonus miles
are waiting for you

Dear Steve,

yeah, but I'd have to do that 3 months in a row.  would that still work?

hmmm. i mean it would i guess but i just thought it was 1,250 and not 1,250 every month. dumb plan on my part. ignore.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: April 14, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
Got this in the email:

15,000 bonus miles
are waiting for you

Dear Steve,

Set up Amazon payments.  Send $1,000/mo. to Rick Daris.  Have Rick Daris send you a check for $1,000 each month when it hits his account.  Spend $250/mo. on the card.

:dunno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 14, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »
I'll probably just spend 1,250 on each of the cards for the next 3 months

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 14, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
Got this in the email:

15,000 bonus miles
are waiting for you

Dear Steve,

Set up Amazon payments.  Send $1,000/mo. to Rick Daris.  Have Rick Daris send you a check for $1,000 each month when it hits his account.  Spend $250/mo. on the card.

:dunno:

I just send it to my wife....

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »
I'll probably just spend 1,250 on each of the cards for the next 3 months

that's my plan too.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 15, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »
what's going to be my best value/chance at free stuff/sweet welcome goody bag

Holiday Inn as a Platinum member (25k/night) OR
Hilton Garden Inn as Gold member (30k/night)

both hotels are in Manhattan
I'm purple down