Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006000 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2000 on: March 30, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »
FYI  the 50k  Sapphire card bonus ends Tuesday.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
my southwest points feel so inadequate next to steve dave's awesome paris trip  :embarrassed:
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 03, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
my southwest points feel so inadequate next to steve dave's awesome paris trip  :embarrassed:

I'm going to Kauai for 8 nights in less than 5 weeks too if you want some more inadequacy.  Staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai on points, flying United on points, rented a convertible on points and have $1,050 in Hyatt giftcards to pay for spa and resort charges from points.   :cool:

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »

I'm going to Kauai for 8 nights in less than 5 weeks too if you want some more inadequacy.  Staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai on points, flying United on points, rented a convertible on points and have $1,050 in Hyatt giftcards to pay for spa and resort charges from points.   :cool:

I flew to vegas once   :cry:
emaw

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 03, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »

Christ SD.  Exactly how long have you been hoarding points?  I mean you've spent like a bazillion points in the past 6 months.  :runaway:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »
between my wife and I we have averaged about 500k a year for the last few years.  before I booked the hawaii and euro trips we had over a million combined among our various accounts.  now less than 400k  :cry:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 04, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »
between my wife and I we have averaged about 500k a year for the last few years.  before I booked the hawaii and euro trips we had over a million combined among our various accounts.  now less than 400k  :cry:

expense accounts?

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »

from now on I'm just going to imagine you as george clooney from up in the air
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 04, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »

expense accounts?

no

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

Can you use points to pay for spa's at hotels and hotel restaurants?

Christ SD.  Exactly how long have you been hoarding points?  I mean you've spent like a bazillion points in the past 6 months.  :runaway:

I quit trying to compare my points to SD's a long time ago, it's just depressing.

Question for SD: What's the estimated amount of time you spend on CC churning/points stuff a week? I've just been dabbling in the game and am debating about whether or not I should go "all in".

I'll listen off the air, TIA.
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »
I don't think you can use points for food/spa.  We just got our Hyatt giftcards using Citi Advantage points. 

I check a few blogs every day and log onto flyertalk for 15 minutes once a week.  It isn't much time at all once you figure out what you are doing.  Awardwallet is a godsend. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 05, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
I just started a couple of weeks ago and I've got 4 new cards and my wife has 2.  :fatty:  I'll have the Southwest companion pass in the next month or so after my miles post to Southwest.  Then I'm setting my self up to start hoarding HHonors points by churning the Citi HHonors cards.  Things I've learned so far:

1.  If your wife makes significantly less than you, you should just assume when they ask for income on her application that they are asking for household income...especially if your mortgage payment is on the high side. Learned that one the hard way.  That's what you get for being honest I guess.  :shakesfist:

2.  Chase reconsideration is really easy to deal with and their customer service is knowledgeable and excellent.  :thumbsup:

3.  Citi is fickle and their reconsideration is non-existent.  More than 4 or 5 credit inquiries in the last 6 months and they'll deny you and there's nothing you can do about it.  :sdeek:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
3.  Citi is fickle and their reconsideration is non-existent.  More than 4 or 5 credit inquiries in the last 6 months and they'll deny you and there's nothing you can do about it.  :sdeek:

hmmm, have not run across this before

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: April 05, 2012, 09:16:23 AM »

hmmm, have not run across this before

I got a personal Citi AAdvantage in December (only one because I didn't know about the 2-browser at the time :bang: ). Then in March I got the Southwest business and personal, AMEX HHonors and Citi AAdvantage business.  I tried to get the Citi Thank You premiere after all of those and got a "no, denied...too many inquiries."  :curse:  I reached out to Daraius and he told me that Citi likes to see low credit inquiries and not a lot of credit extended.  I think one of my problems is all these rough ridin' cards keep giving me over $15,000 credit lines  :sdeek: He told me to email Vikram Pandit so I did a week ago and nobody has called or emailed me back.  :frown:  Now I have to lay low for 6 months before I start churning the Citi HHonors.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »
you emailed the CEO of Citigroup about being denied for too many inquiries?  :lol:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:34 AM »
you emailed the CEO of Citigroup about being denied for too many inquiries?  :lol:

Yeah.  Can you believe that bad person hasn't taken the time to email me back?

Honestly that was my initial reaction too, but that was the advice of Daraius and who am I to question Daraius?  :dunno:  It actually makes some sense.  He's obviously not reading his own email and if something like comes in, their automatic reaction is probably "Jesus, this guy took the time to email the rough ridin' CEO.  Just give him the god damn credit card."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 07, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
Had a nice Chase United experience this past week.  I was buying a plane ticket (eff you Avios) last week and had equal options between United and Frontier.  If I could get instant approval for the United, it would be the better option, even though the offer was only for 25K.  Applied, no instant approval because it would be like my 6th Chase card.  Bought the Frontier ticket.  All good.

Got the card in the mail a few days ago, didn't mess with it.  Then got an email telling me congrats on the card and the 50K bonus and $50 credit.  Called in to activate the card and confirmed the same bonuses.  T-Y, Chase United.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: April 07, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
yeah, that's great.  going to have the mrs. and I both sign up for the United explorer soon on that. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: April 07, 2012, 04:33:19 PM »
I really need to get a United

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
any thoughts on the whole mastercard sapphire card? i have a chase ink bold so i transferred all other UR points to that this morning and then i think i'll cancel my sapphire visa and apply for the mastercard. will be heartbroken if i waste a chase app for something that doesn't yield anything.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: April 08, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »

in his defense, we're kinda conditioned as emaws to expect personal replies from our CEO

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: April 09, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
Going to Vegas in June.  Would you spend 50k AA points or just fork over the $400-450?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2022 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »
Pay for it

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: April 09, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
don't go. both options sound horrible.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #2024 on: April 09, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
don't go. both options sound horrible.

yeah unless you live in mexico or some crap