Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983968 times)

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
You can get the Delta Amex with no fee for the first year and get 25k (I think) miles after the first purchase.  That will either get you a free flight there or get you $250 off a Delta flight as miles can be converted to dollars for flights if you have the card.  Make sure to cancel it before the first year is up though or it has an annual fee of $45 or $75. 

Perfect.  Thanks. 

the potential problem is that you won't get the card until a few weeks after you sign up, and then you won't get the miles for a few more weeks after that. by that time, there may not be seats and stuff left on the flights you want. potentially an issue.

I have some time. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2010, 11:26:53 AM »
You can get the Delta Amex with no fee for the first year and get 25k (I think) miles after the first purchase.  That will either get you a free flight there or get you $250 off a Delta flight as miles can be converted to dollars for flights if you have the card.  Make sure to cancel it before the first year is up though or it has an annual fee of $45 or $75. 

Perfect.  Thanks. 

I have some time. 

here's an offer that could get you 35,000...

https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=24/34268/b/293
the potential problem is that you won't get the card until a few weeks after you sign up, and then you won't get the miles for a few more weeks after that. by that time, there may not be seats and stuff left on the flights you want. potentially an issue.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:51:14 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »

Yeah, use this one.  Much better for you.  :AA: (< but Delta) .  Another good thing about Delta is that you can use the miles on any available seat if you pay with miles.  So, if you spend $1k on this card in the first 3 months you can get $350 off any delta ticket available even at the last minute.  Check to see what an award ticket would cost vs. pay with points as dollars as sometimes it's much cheaper to get a straight award ticket.  Sounds confusing but I'll walk you through it once you want to book something. 

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »

Yeah, use this one.  Much better for you.  :AA: (< but Delta) .  Another good thing about Delta is that you can use the miles on any available seat if you pay with miles.  So, if you spend $1k on this card in the first 3 months you can get $350 off any delta ticket available even at the last minute.  Check to see what an award ticket would cost vs. pay with points as dollars as sometimes it's much cheaper to get a straight award ticket.  Sounds confusing but I'll walk you through it once you want to book something. 

Sounds good.  Appreciate the help.  I'm off and running on this one.  Have to fly to Denver and Seattle later this year also.  Frontier would be the best for both of those from here.  Do they have anything? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2010, 02:25:55 PM »
Frontier formerlly had a really good deal but they aren't running it now.  I signed up when they were giving 40k miles for $750 in purchases within the first 3 months.  That's enough for 2 roun trips (all of theirs are 20k).  The crappy thing about Frontier is they have very limited reward seat availability.  Probably wouldn't be a problem for the Denver route as that is their hub but Seattle would be a problem.  Also, Frontier usually doesn't waive the annual fee the first year so you have to pay either $45 or $75 up front.  At least I did.  Though that may have been just because of the 40k special.  Either way, kind of a pain in the ass airline point program.  American and Delta are the easiest to use.  Also, American has the business and personal cards you can sign up for at the same time. 

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »
Why you need multiple credit cards

Woohoo, some Marquette professor has 15 cards. Figured if Jeffy was against it it was probably good, but still a little hesitant on what it would do to credit score. I'm all in now!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
So, another thing to do is ask for a retention bonus when you go to cancel the credit card.  I just got off the phone with Citi about my AA visa.  I told them I wanted to cancel it and they were all, "you've been a great customer of the 4 months you've had the card.  I'll give you 3k miles to not cancel!" and I was all, "yeah, ok."  Now I have 3k more miles and will cancel the card next week.
 :driving:

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »
So does that database pretty much have the best deals out there? And in reading the Frugal Travel Guy's blog, he seems to pay attention to who the credit reporting agency is. For Kansas the creditpulls database doesn't seem to be too good. A lot of cards not listed. Do you guys pay attention to that?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus/1069868-chase-milage-plus-visa-50-000-miles-sign-up-promotion-2.html

Really good deal if you fly United. 50k United is good for two round trip domestics I think.  No annual fee the first year.  Only requires $250 in spend.  To get it:

Call Mileage Plus Customer Service (1-800-421-4655 for non-elites)
1. Choose “manage my account”
2. Let them know your mileage plus number and zip code
3. Say “more options”
4. Finally say “apply for a United mileage plus card”
5. When they answer tell them you want to sign up for the card with the 50k deal

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus/1069868-chase-milage-plus-visa-50-000-miles-sign-up-promotion-2.html

Really good deal if you fly United. 50k United is good for two round trip domestics I think.  No annual fee the first year.  Only requires $250 in spend.  To get it:

3. Say “more options”
5. When they answer tell them you want to sign up for the card with the 50k deal

:eek: wow. that's really good.

btw, i'm going to california next week. staying at the sheraton in la jolla because starwood is just finishing up a promo where if you stay four consecutive nights somewhere they will quadruple your points earned. also a separate deal where you can get an extra 1000 points per stay. all in all, staying five nights and will get 7,500 points.  :fatty:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2010, 07:14:12 AM »

3. Say “more options”

:eek: wow. that's really good.

btw, i'm going to california next week. staying at the sheraton in la jolla because starwood is just finishing up a promo where if you stay four consecutive nights somewhere they will quadruple your points earned. also a separate deal where you can get an extra 1000 points per stay. all in all, staying five nights and will get 7,500 points.  :fatty:

:drool:

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »

3. Say “more options”

Signed up.  :pbj:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
for people who don't like the idea of a credit card, here is a checking account offer. you can apparently even sign up for it online.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2010/03/30/chase-extends-checking-account-offer-for-continental-miles-through-june-30/

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
Saw a commercial for American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Card, gives you a point for every dollar, and I think a bunch when you sign up, can use points for HHonors, delta skymiles and other random crap. Is this a good rewards deal compared to other rewards deals? can you even use american express anywhere?
I'm purple down

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
Chase Sapphire.

The Commercial.

That memorizing commercial.

My, God.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »
Saw a commercial for American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Card, gives you a point for every dollar, and I think a bunch when you sign up, can use points for HHonors, delta skymiles and other random crap. Is this a good rewards deal compared to other rewards deals? can you even use american express anywhere?

It's pretty good.  Only lame places don't take American Express (Subway and Sams Club are the only ones I have run into in Omaha but Sams doesn't even take Visa).  Here is some stuff on it:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Premier-Rewards-Gold/25kLTO_1000in3/40208?PID=1&BUID=CCG&PSKU=SJH&CRTV=SJSJH25KLTO&EAID=TTebV0zRjlI-YAboKNE%2F7S%2AGL%2AY9P0XXFA

Appears they have a special going on where you get 25k instead of 10k if you spend $1k in the first 3 months.  The link doesn't bring this up but the travel guy says this:

Note on the Amex Premier Rewards Card Sign Up Promo

Both of the affiliate link companies that offer me ads now have this promotion available regardless if it shows or not in the printed material on the application, I would copy my bullet points description from the blog and assume you will get the bonus. In the end YMMV but I don't think you will have an issue if you apply between 4/13 and 4/26/10

Sorry, I have no other info other than what is provided me.

"From April 13 through April 26, new Premier Rewards Gold Card Cardmembers will earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® points after $1,000 spend in 3 months. That's an extra 10,000 Membership Rewards® points above the standard offer (15,000 Membership Rewards® points after $1,000 spend in 3 months)!

Please ensure that the limited time offer is reflected on your sites only from April 13 through April 26. Failure to update changes by the key date will result in your links being removed.

American Express® PremierRewards Gold Card
**Updated Bullet Points**

For a limited time - earn 25,000 Membership Rewards ® bonus points when you spend $1,000 in 3 months, redeemable toward one domestic coach-class ticket. Offer expires 04/27/2010.
Earn Membership Rewards® points up to three times as fast: You can earn 3X points on airfare, 2X points on gas and groceries, and 1X points on everything else.
Earn 15,000 bonus points when you spend $30,000 per calendar year.
No annual fee for your first year, a savings of $175"

The annual fee is a monster $175 so make sure you cancel before the first year is up so you don't have to pay that.  I would also be kind of nervous that the application site doesn't show the extra 15k points you get for signing up between April 13 and April 26 so I would call to confirm before submitting it.  25k is pretty great though if you don't have to pay an annual fee.

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »

It's pretty good.  Only lame places don't take American Express (Subway and Sams Club are the only ones I have run into in Omaha but Sams doesn't even take Visa).  Here is some stuff on it:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Premier-Rewards-Gold/25kLTO_1000in3/40208?PID=1&BUID=CCG&PSKU=SJH&CRTV=SJSJH25KLTO&EAID=TTebV0zRjlI-YAboKNE%2F7S%2AGL%2AY9P0XXFA

Appears they have a special going on where you get 25k instead of 10k if you spend $1k in the first 3 months.  The link doesn't bring this up but the travel guy says this:

Note on the Amex Premier Rewards Card Sign Up Promo

Both of the affiliate link companies that offer me ads now have this promotion available regardless if it shows or not in the printed material on the application, I would copy my bullet points description from the blog and assume you will get the bonus. In the end YMMV but I don't think you will have an issue if you apply between 4/13 and 4/26/10

Sorry, I have no other info other than what is provided me.

"From April 13 through April 26, new Premier Rewards Gold Card Cardmembers will earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® points after $1,000 spend in 3 months. That's an extra 10,000 Membership Rewards® points above the standard offer (15,000 Membership Rewards® points after $1,000 spend in 3 months)!

Please ensure that the limited time offer is reflected on your sites only from April 13 through April 26. Failure to update changes by the key date will result in your links being removed.

American Express® PremierRewards Gold Card
**Updated Bullet Points**

For a limited time - earn 25,000 Membership Rewards ® bonus points when you spend $1,000 in 3 months, redeemable toward one domestic coach-class ticket. Offer expires 04/27/2010.
Earn Membership Rewards® points up to three times as fast: You can earn 3X points on airfare, 2X points on gas and groceries, and 1X points on everything else.
Earn 15,000 bonus points when you spend $30,000 per calendar year.
No annual fee for your first year, a savings of $175"

The annual fee is a monster $175 so make sure you cancel before the first year is up so you don't have to pay that.  I would also be kind of nervous that the application site doesn't show the extra 15k points you get for signing up between April 13 and April 26 so I would call to confirm before submitting it.  25k is pretty great though if you don't have to pay an annual fee.

raquet, were you looking at the Premier Rewards card or the Preferred Rewards card? Unless you see a different deal somewhere else it looks like the Preferred Rewards card doesn't come with any sign-up bonus. I got the Premier Rewards card two days ago. The application site does say 25k now and when I signed up it said 25k with first purchase instead of after $1000. I didn't get proof of it, but either way I'm cool with it. Got my Chase United Mileage Plus Visa Signature in the mail yesterday.  :blush:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »
Got the Chase United Card approved but haven't received it yet. 

:driving:  :excited: (< me and the co-pilot when he lets me fly the plane)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »
2 questions (plus followups) on this chase united thing.

1).  if someone (possibly canadian) already had a chase united card and wanted to get this new special one, could they do that?  what if they didn't want to call in because of the calling expense and because of how they don't like talking on the phone?  could it be done over the internet?
2).  could they just get a business card, or whatever?  if they could get a normal one with a normal name, could they get a 2nd one with a fake business?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »
2 questions (plus followups) on this chase united thing.

1).  if someone (possibly canadian) already had a chase united card and wanted to get this new special one, could they do that?  what if they didn't want to call in because of the calling expense and because of how they don't like talking on the phone?  could it be done over the internet?
2).  could they just get a business card, or whatever?  if they could get a normal one with a normal name, could they get a 2nd one with a fake business?

1)  It says you have to be a first time United Card holder.  But, if you have cancelled your other card prior to now some people on flyertalk said they have had success re-applying and getting the bonus.  It seems Chase doesn't really pay attention to this a lot of the time.  I doubt it would work if you tried signing up while still having an active card though.  I did do this with Hilton once back before Citi started paying attention and got another bonus but they seem to be cracking down on this.  Everything I have read has mentioned that you have to do it by phone.
2)  Don't know about the business card deal.  Couldn't hurt calling and trying it though (except in this Canadian guys instance where it would hurt calling). 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »
is this one of those things where if a canadian waits till he's in the usa for whatever reason to make calls and inquiries, the offer will probably be pulled out from under his feet before he get there?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »
is this one of those things where if a canadian waits till he's in the usa for whatever reason to make calls and inquiries, the offer will probably be pulled out from under his feet before he get there?

Yeah, it will prob. only be around for a month or two.  That seems to be about how long the really good deals stay up. 

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
New Citi American Airlines deal, www.miles8.citicards.com. 30000 miles after $750 in 4 months, 5000 bonus miles after $5000 in 12 months, and no annual fee for first year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2010, 09:43:19 AM »
New Citi American Airlines deal, www.miles8.citicards.com. 30000 miles after $750 in 4 months, 5000 bonus miles after $5000 in 12 months, and no annual fee for first year.

That's pretty decent.  Basically 40k for $5k spend. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2010, 07:38:11 AM »
The United deal ends April 30 (friday)