Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004935 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1500 on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »
yeah, I have my wife transfer her ultimate rewards to my Hyatt account.  they transfer instantly as well and unlike membership rewards you don't have a fee.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 14, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Ok so I checked and I did somehow get lucky to get the 100k on the regular sapphire with no annual fee.  This will prob be my go to card.  Can I still get the preferred 50k bonus?  Will the points just go right into my current account?  Will they get mad at me for canceling the preferred after a year and keeping the regular sapphire? 

Currently have 4 CC's and a little  :ohno: about getting another. 

Also, does it really matter at what point you cancel the card?  You obviously cancel before the year is up so you don't get hit with the fee, but does it matter if you wait 11 months or 3 months?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 16, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
So, been messing with British Air's new Avios miles today.  They now price domestics on mileage instead of per trip.  A lot of flyertalk is melting down because trans-atlantic stuff is way more expensive now.  But, it appears that some domestic stuff is significantly cheaper.  For example, a RT Omaha-Chicago-Omaha in coach used to be 25k BA miles flying AA metal.  It's now 9k miles.  Pretty great.  A RT to NYC though is slightly more expensive than before at 27k instead of 25k.  I have 50k BA miles left and should be able to squeeze multiple short domestics out of them on flights I always just paid for because it was such a rip off to use miles for them.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 16, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »
So, been messing with British Air's new Avios miles today.  They now price domestics on mileage instead of per trip.  A lot of flyertalk is melting down because trans-atlantic stuff is way more expensive now.  But, it appears that some domestic stuff is significantly cheaper.  For example, a RT Omaha-Chicago-Omaha in coach used to be 25k BA miles flying AA metal.  It's now 9k miles.  Pretty great.  A RT to NYC though is slightly more expensive than before at 27k instead of 25k.  I have 50k BA miles left and should be able to squeeze multiple short domestics out of them on flights I always just paid for because it was such a rip off to use miles for them.

:thumbs:

Any easier to use them booking flights 1-2 months out?

If not, how does the hotels and other stuff you can now use them for look?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 16, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
Availability will be the exact same as they are still all going to depend on AA availability.  Hotel rates are kind of all over the place but are generally a bad redemption unless you can't use the miles for flights like your situation.  A random saturday night in April for vegas:

Aria 22k ($179)
Luxor 14k ($110)
Mandalay Bay 24k ($170)
NYNY 17k ($130)
Caesars 34k (lol Caesars) ($239)
Paris 20k ($160)
Cosmo 28k ($240)
Vdara 18k ($151)

added the rate for the same night next to the hotel.  You would be getting less than 1 cent per mile in all cases.  

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 16, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
:frown:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 16, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
man. i love the program change. just wished i lived in miami or dallas. still a great change for me and what i want to use it for.

dallas to cancun- 15k roundtrip
miami to grand cayman- 9k roundtrip
miami to montego bay- 9k roundtrip
dallas-puerta vallarta- 15k roundtrip

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 16, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
wanna get away miles price from mci-dal is around 13k for SW. CottonBowl here I come!
now just need to get another awesome hotel cc. I keep forgetting to apply for one.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 18, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »
_MELTON_ Charles Melton
"@Just_Zach405: Why is there never a main light in a hotel room? You have to turn on 10 lamps to get some light in the room #sodumb"I feel u

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 18, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »
i applied for the chase sw cards on the last day. just got two pieces of mail that said we were turned down do to "too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us". currently cracking knuckles.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 18, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
i applied for the chase sw cards on the last day. just got two pieces of mail that said we were turned down do to "too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us". currently cracking knuckles.

chase should know they are wasting their own time at this point.  they apparently have a "decline everyone out of the gate but if they call let it pass" policy. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 18, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »

chase should know they are wasting their own time at this point.  they apparently have a "decline everyone out of the gate but if they call let it pass" policy. 

got mine, but the letter said they were closing 2 of my cards (including one 15 years old)...had to call and get that crap stopped right quick.  They reallocated credit lines instead.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »

got mine, but the letter said they were closing 2 of my cards (including one 15 years old)...had to call and get that crap stopped right quick.  They reallocated credit lines instead.

they will do pretty much whatever the eff you tell them to if you call.  that's why it's hilarious that they are hardasses on approvals.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »

they will do pretty much whatever the eff you tell them to if you call.  that's why it's hilarious that they are hardasses on approvals.

thanks for the input mikey. past history confirms what you and sd say. will call and pi them into giving me these cards. have done it before and it worked. currently crossing fingers and getting game face on. wish me luck guys.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: November 20, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »
9k Avios+$5 to fly to dallas for cotton from KC or DEN, roundtrip.  I think we need to pak

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
9k Avios+$5 to fly to dallas for cotton from KC or DEN, roundtrip.  I think we need to pak

yeah, flying to Dallas or Chicago just got very cheap(er)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: November 20, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »

I'm not convinced Im going to use all my Avios points if I don't sponsor about a dozen people to go to the cotton bowl

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: November 21, 2011, 03:31:32 PM »
So, I'm sitting on 59k Marriott points, but don't think I'll be staying at Marriotts regularly in the future. What's the best way to use them? A shitload of Fairfields on roadtrips? Get a card to add a few points for somewhere nice?

:dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: November 21, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »
So, I'm sitting on 59k Marriott points, but don't think I'll be staying at Marriotts regularly in the future. What's the best way to use them? A shitload of Fairfields on roadtrips? Get a card to add a few points for somewhere nice?

:dunno:

ya, marriott has a 70k card right now that would add to your total and get you and the fam on a pretty decent vaca

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »

I'm not convinced Im going to use all my Avios points if I don't sponsor about a dozen people to go to the cotton bowl

no doubt....I have 93k Avios and another 110k  AAA miles.....and usually fly Southwest.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: November 22, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
With the new Avios BA miles (with almost free flights to Chicago/Dallas) I thought I would also mention that the Intercontinental O'Hare is one of the Points Break hotels through the end of January.  It's out by the airport (obviously).  I've stayed there for work before and it is really a great property...at only 5k PC a night it's a steal.  You would have to take the L, rent a car or get a cab to get downtown but it would be worth the savings on the hotel imo.  Plus, you don't have to worry about getting back to the airport on your way out of town.  

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g36630-d850289-Reviews-InterContinental_Chicago_O_Hare-Rosemont_Illinois.html

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
steve dave, I have 2 credit cards.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.