Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002899 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #1300 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
SpudCat, go to MOAP2.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 01, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
If you have that many cards it won't hurt that much at all to shed a few.  keep the oldest ones that don't have an annual fee.  If some of your old cards are issued by chase and you are going to be applying for chase cards I would cancel those as Chase will only let you have so many and so much credit.  probably goes for the other banks as well.  I would start with each you and the wife getting the Citi 75k AA visa and Chase Sapphire 50k.  That will be a total of $9k spend over 3 months or so, if that is going to be a problem I would stretch it out some.  

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 01, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
if any of those cards charge yearly fees them dump them. if not then just put them in a drawer and use each once a year to charge a pack of gum on or something. you don't want to close cards that you've had open for a while. if you are just hell bent on closing some of them, then i'd close the ones that you've had the least amount of time i guess. edit to add that sd basically gave same advice but his was better/more thorough.

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 01, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
If you have that many cards it won't hurt that much at all to shed a few.  keep the oldest ones that don't have an annual fee.  If some of your old cards are issued by chase and you are going to be applying for chase cards I would cancel those as Chase will only let you have so many and so much credit.  probably goes for the other banks as well.  I would start with each you and the wife getting the Citi 75k AA visa and Chase Sapphire 50k.  That will be a total of $9k spend over 3 months or so, if that is going to be a problem I would stretch it out some.  

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  I didn't figure it would be a huge deal.  You've got to shed some of those at some point, right?  I've actually been looking at those exact cards, so good to know my thoughts fall in line with someone else's.  

What's the max number of cards that would be acceptable to apply for in a relatively short amount of time?  Was also looking at the Southwest RR Premier Visa (Chase, I believe) since we are looking at going to Vegas in March (direct from KC).  Wife needs some points to put her over the top for free flights, and I'm far behind her.  There's no required spend on that and it would be churned prior to the annual fee.  That's our first planned trip as of right now, so I'd like to take advantage of that, but also don't want to miss out on the 75k AA and Sapphire points.  But, don't know if it would be advisable to hit 3 or 4 new cards in a short time frame.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: September 01, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
Yeah, I did the Southwest card when they had the 50k promotion.  It's not a very good deal unless you can find it at 50k still (maybe you can, I haven't followed it since I got it).  Interestingly, I am also using SW miles to fly to vegas in March.  You can apply for as many as you want on the same day.  The only ones that may give you problem is the SW and Sapphire as they are both Chase.  I think you should be ok though.  If you are applying for multiple AA cards (ie Amex and Visa) under your own name you def. should apply on the same day. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 01, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »
just hope for the hotel deal

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
SpudCat, go to MOAP2.

Excuse my ignorance, but MOAP2? :dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
SpudCat, go to MOAP2.

Saturday.  We could use some certain, non-weirdo credit card churners like you.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=13598.0

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 01, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »
just got PC platinum status  :gocho:
I'm purple down

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 01, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:24 PM »
SpudCat, go to MOAP2.

Saturday.  We could use some certain, non-weirdo credit card churners like you.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=13598.0

Got it.  Will try to swing by.  I'm cooking BBQ for my tailgate this week, so I might be a bit short on time.  We shall see.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to my new life as a traveler elite.  Outside of Vegas in March for St. Paddy's / 1st weekend of NCAA ( :excited:  :drink:), the goal is to have enough points to do Hawaii in style for the 5th wedding anniversary in June 2013.  :woot:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »
Hawaii in style = Hyatt points for Grand Hyatt Kuaui

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 01, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »
Can someone post the link for the Citi 75k AA visa please? I can't find it  :frown:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 02, 2011, 07:11:38 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 02, 2011, 07:16:28 AM »
the goal is to have enough points to do Hawaii in style for the 5th wedding anniversary in June 2013.  :woot:

this is a much better use of points than Vegas.  Vegas is tough to use points for because none of the strip hotels really participate in any points program and they are pretty expensive at face value.  If you book flight/hotel together you can usually get out there for little more than the rack rate of the hotel was going to be anyway.  I can plan you entire Hawaiin trip and points strategy for you if you want.  That's kind of right in my bread basket.  We are flying out in May with United points and staying 8 nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai with Hyatt points we got via Chase Sapphire cards.  This year we stayed 5 nights at the Grand Hyatt and 5 at the Westin Maui with SPG points.  If you and the wife both get a 75k Citi AA Visa you only need to spend $1500 per card and that's enough points for you to get there in first class.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:33:10 AM by steve dave »

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »
the goal is to have enough points to do Hawaii in style for the 5th wedding anniversary in June 2013.  :woot:

this is a much better use of points than Vegas.  Vegas is tough to use points for because none of the strip hotels really participate in any points program and they are pretty expensive at face value.  If you book flight/hotel together you can usually get out there for little more than the rack rate of the hotel was going to be anyway.  I can plan you entire Hawaiin trip and points strategy for you if you want.  That's kind of right in my break basket.  We are flying out in May with United points and staying 8 nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai with Hyatt points we got via Chase Sapphire cards.  This year we stayed 5 nights at the Grand Hyatt and 5 at the Westin Maui with SPG points.  If you and the wife both get a 75k Citi AA Visa you only need to spend $1500 per card and that's enough points for you to get there in first class. 

Sd is unofficially my hero.   :cheers:  I'll definitely take all the help/advice I can get.  Don't really intend on using any points for the Vegas trip.  Really just don't feel like paying for flights and that's why I was looking at the SW cards.  Neither of us will have enough travel on SW before then to cross the free flight threshold, so those bonus points would do the trick.  After that, sole focus will be turning to said anniversary trip.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 02, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
damnit, finally got the email from Priority Club about the 60k fuckup.  Says they took the points back but if I booked any trips with them while they were in my account they would not cancel those plans.  I had booked two nights this weekend with them but then cancelled them and had the points refunded because it put me in negative PC points.  Could have kept them  :frown:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: September 02, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
Oh man, that sucks.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: September 02, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
Oh man, that sucks.

yeah, plus it forced me to hassle my bro for about the 7th time to get my reservation put back how I had it  :frown:

Offline SpudCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: September 02, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »
Yeah, I did the Southwest card when they had the 50k promotion.  It's not a very good deal unless you can find it 50k still (maybe you can, I haven't followed it since I got it).  Interestingly, I am also using SW miles to fly to vegas in March.

Interestingly, I got a 50k point SW RR premier card offer in the mail today. Vegas calling? Yes, I will accept, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:05:11 PM by SpudCat »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: September 05, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »
On tonight's "The T.O. Show," Terrell revealed his credit score is in the 500s or 600s.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 05, 2011, 11:29:07 PM »
On tonight's "The T.O. Show," Terrell revealed his credit score is in the 500s or 600s.

Those of us with "the gift" (  :kstategrad: ) don't give a crap about credit scores.