Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983723 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #925 on: June 20, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »
yeah, that would have been nice.  Plus, no hard credit pull if you worry about that kind of thing. 

Yeah, lesson learned.  Have a list of other deals that would be good when cancelling.  I'll have a couple Chases to cancel once the Sapphire thing goes down, so I'll try to find some United/Delta I could use before calling.  Although when I cancelled Chase Continental they didn't try hard to keep me from cancelling.  Maybe that was just a Citi thing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 20, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
hopefully will talk mrs. dave into signing up today and can get her the 100k too.  Will have roughly 208k Hyatt points when this whole thing is said and done.  That is ridiculous.  This will be the most lucrative credit card bonus for me so far. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 20, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »
Your rewards balance is 50,000  Points

Holy crap, they don't eff around  :eek: :emawkid:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #928 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:11 AM »
Went ahead and transferred the 50k to hyatt to see how long it took them to get there. They arrived instantly. Feels good.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 20, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »
Just unreal.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: June 20, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
Just unreal.

haven't even got the rough ridin' card in the mail.  it's like they love printing money for smart people to use at their discretion. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #931 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »
EMAWs, is the wife or gf wanting to go to Paris? Both of you sign up for the sapphire and try to get the 100k deal. Even if they cut it off you are looking at 50k each. So you get between 5 and 9 nights (depending on if you get the 50 or 100k) at the Park Hyatt Paris which goes for over $1k a night. Then each of you sign up for the 75k aa card and you're flying there free too. Bam, free luxury Paris vacation courtesy of goEMAW.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 20, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »
so, the next deal to "chase" (lol) is the chase sapphire. would I need to cancel my current chase card prior to getting the deal?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 20, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
so, the next deal to "chase" (lol) is the chase sapphire. would I need to cancel my current chase card prior to getting the deal?

probably not if you only have one.  they have a maximum amount of credit they allow you to have between all of your chase accounts.  if you have too much on one card you will get a letter saying they can't give you this one because you have too much credit or too many cards or something.  then you call and tell them that you want to either move some credit from one of those cards to the new sapphire card or cancel one of the old ones or whatever.  I've had 3 chase cards most of the year but would have to cancel one each time I wanted another one. 

Also, just doing some quick math, if you and the wife/gf each sign up for this and end up with 206k points which you transfer to Hyatt points that is enough for 41 nights in the Hyatt Regency Wichita or Hyatt in KC.  41 nights.  41.  forty-one.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 20, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
Remember when Dylan lived in a hotel?  that could be any one of you....for 41 days.  have your house remodeled and kick it at the Hyatt for 6 weeks.  get to know the staff.  have your sheets washed constantly and your crap picked up off the floor.  fresh mini bars of soap every day....or just bring your own and stash the mini bars every day so you have 41 mini bars of soap when you go home!  tons of possibilities here. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
Also, just doing some quick math, if you and the wife/gf each sign up for this and end up with 206k points which you transfer to Hyatt points that is enough for 41 nights in the Hyatt Regency Wichita or Hyatt in KC.  41 nights.  41.  forty-one.

Thought about this when I got the 80K SPG points.  Could stay at that Starwood we stayed at for OKC paks for like a month.  Thought if my life ever hit the skids, I could just move into that hotel for a month to regroup.

Somebody w/41 Hyatt nights could put up nearly everyone good from goEMAW for the night for the Wichita HugginsPak.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 20, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
Since my company gives me a corporate card, spending $3k in 3 months would seriously be a lot for me. I would be getting into buying stupid crap just to get points.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 20, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
spending $3k in 3 months would seriously be a lot for me. I would be getting into buying stupid crap just to get points.

pay all your bills with it for 3 months or something.  buy some of those coins from the govt.  Buy a bunch of gift cards to somewhere you normally spend money.  I am looking at having to spend $6k between the two Sapphires in 3 months and $5500 on the two AA cards within 6 months (of which the three month sapphire time period is a part of).  So really $11,500 in six months.  

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »
Since my company gives me a corporate card, spending $3k in 3 months would seriously be a lot for me. I would be getting into buying stupid crap just to get points.

Holding off on paying for hoops tickets while waiting for the card.  Will miss the incentives for ordering today but should still have a shot at Denis' jersey.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 20, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
spending $3k in 3 months would seriously be a lot for me. I would be getting into buying stupid crap just to get points.

pay all your bills with it for 3 months or something.  buy some of those coins from the govt.  Buy a bunch of gift cards to somewhere you normally spend money.  I am looking at having to spend $6k between the two Sapphires in 3 months and $5500 on the two AA cards within 6 months (of which the three month sapphire time period is a part of).  So really $11,500 in six months. 

that's a lot of hassle.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 20, 2011, 10:01:30 AM »
How is that Starwood Amex treating you SD?  Been looking at the one but hate the though of a yearly fee being tacked on after the first year

If you spend a good amount on it they will waive the fee.  Come fee time just call them and tell them that you are going to cancel unless they waive it.  If they don't waive it they will offer to reduce it.  It all depends on how much you spend on it.  If they won't waive it you can just cancel it and re-apply.  Bonus is you get the re-apply bonus miles each time.  You may have to wait a while after cancelling to re-apply though.  Don't know for sure.  I cencelled the delta amex because of an upcoming annual fee and re applyed the next day and got all the bonus miles and everything.  The SPG is the best because their points transfer to any airline at 1:1 or 25k if you transfer 20k.  

My SPG annual fee is coming up between now and next month when I'm using 30K points for a 5-nighter and have the SPG card holding my reservation.  Would be kind of a pain to cancel the card, have been using it as my everyday for the last few weeks too.  Way to get fee waived if I'm not really wanting to posture cancellation?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:26 AM »
Also, not negotiating some crazy deal on that AA/thankyou transaction yesterday is really bugging me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 20, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
rusty, quit being a pussy.

trim, if you use the card constantly I almost guarantee you can threaten to cancel using the annual fee as a reason and get it waived or be given sufficient free SPG points that you don't mind paying it.  and yeah, making mistakes on free travel miles stuff is worse to me than making a mistake that costs me actual cash.  actual cash is boring and used to barter for boring crap.  points are used soley for fun stuff and are the thinking man's cash.   

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
trim, if you use the card constantly I almost guarantee you can threaten to cancel using the annual fee as a reason and get it waived or be given sufficient free SPG points that you don't mind paying it.  and yeah, making mistakes on free travel miles stuff is worse to me than making a mistake that costs me actual cash.  actual cash is boring and used to barter for boring crap.  points are used soley for fun stuff and are the thinking man's cash.   

Trying right now. 

Yeah, I'd probably pay $50 to travel back in time and have another crack at that citi cancellation.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
I think I will do the AA 75k miles instead.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: June 20, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »

Trying right now. 

Yeah, I'd probably pay $50 to travel back in time and have another crack at that citi cancellation.

Called.  Didn't threaten cancellation but asked what fee was and when and when I can cancel by.  I'll have 30 days after the fee is charged next month to cancel and get a refund.  Will work better for me with everything I've got going on through July to do that and actually be able to cancel if they don't refund me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
Dear Richard Ingersoll,

Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to assist
you today.

Thank you for your inquiry. With the continual changes and
promotional offers for many credit card products we at
Chase will always consider allowing the newest promotion
to be applied to any qualified accounts that were opened
within the previous 90 days of the offer.

In reviewing the open date on the accounts, I regret to
advise that the accounts are not qualified to participate
in the new enrollment promotion and therefore we are
unable to honor your request.

Although we appreciate your loyalty, we ask that you trust
that this decision is the same for all members whose
accounts do not fall within this designated time frame. We
feel that adhering to the same policy for all members
outside of this designated time frame is the best way to
remain fair and consistent.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

looks like they are handling it exactly like the continental bonus in that as long as you got the Sapphire within the last 90 days (and hopefully going forward) you get the adnl 50k

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 20, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »
I think I will do the AA 75k miles instead.

link please.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #948 on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:41 AM »
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14386923-post2.html

various currently working aa offers.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 21, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »
God damnit. Applied for chases yesterday morning. Did not get instantly approved on either. Called the reconsideration line this morning and still did not get approved instantly. Wtf? Going to call again tomorrow. Just got the continental cards a month ago so maybe that is affecting things. So mad. Also, there is a 23500 American airlines checking account out there that I plan on doing along with the 75k American Citi once I get all this Chase bs figured out.