Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 983118 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #725 on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 03, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
You are an ambassador.  probably feels good.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:25 AM »
You are an ambassador.  probably feels good.

Costs an extra $200, not sure I need the ambassador status.  Although mingling with the Dubaians (sp?) would be nice.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 03, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Ambassador status only does crap at the Intercontinentals.  To be fair, it does do pretty cool crap (I believe there is free access to mini-bar for starters).  Would only be worth it if you stay in big cities at least 5+nights a year.

With Holiday Inns, you peak at Platinum

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 03, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
Ambassador status only does crap at the Intercontinentals.  To be fair, it does do pretty cool crap (I believe there is free access to mini-bar for starters).  Would only be worth it if you stay in big cities at least 5+nights a year.

With Holiday Inns, you peak at Platinum

I'll put it on my gpc expense account once I start over there.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
Cap One Venture deal is gone now.  If you haven't signed up and reserved your miles it's officially to late.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 06, 2011, 07:36:09 AM »
BA 100K Miles Visa promotion is back.  50k miles for the first purchase and an additional 50k after spending $2,500 on the card.  $95 annual fee which isn't waived the first year.  100k is good for 4 RT domestics on AA metal.  I don't think you can apply again and get the 100k if you have had the card before but I haven't seen the official terms yet.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2011/04/05/british-airways-visa-100000-mile-signup-bonus-is-back-2/

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 06, 2011, 07:46:26 AM »
BA 100K Miles Visa promotion is back.  50k miles for the first purchase and an additional 50k after spending $2,500 on the card.  $95 annual fee which isn't waived the first year.  100k is good for 4 RT domestics on AA metal.  I don't think you can apply again and get the 100k if you have had the card before but I haven't seen the official terms yet.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2011/04/05/british-airways-visa-100000-mile-signup-bonus-is-back-2/

:surprised:

Having done the AA deal wouldn't prevent me from this, right?

I saw something in the comments there about an 80K targeted Priority Club offer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »

:surprised:

Having done the AA deal wouldn't prevent me from this, right?

I saw something in the comments there about an 80K targeted Priority Club offer.

No, it wouldn't prevent you from doing this.  They are different miles/companies they just have a booking partnership. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 06, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »

A lot of the comments below are bitching pretty hard about the fuel surcharge they tack on to the award flights.  I don't have any experience with BA so are these fuel surcharges tacked onto domestic AA flights as well? Would definitely make it a lot less attractive if the fuel surcharge is significant on domestic AA flights.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 06, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »

A lot of the comments below are bitching pretty hard about the fuel surcharge they tack on to the award flights.  I don't have any experience with BA so are these fuel surcharges tacked onto domestic AA flights as well? Would definitely make it a lot less attractive if the fuel surcharge is significant on domestic AA flights.

There are no fuel surcharges on AA metal.  BA will charge you fuel surcharges on their flights and they can be pretty steep if you fly them to, like, Paris in Business class or something. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 06, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
I bit on the BA deal.    Approval pending.   

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 06, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »

The wife and I both did it the last time around.  We're flying to Kauai in a month and Florida later this year.  We've also flown to San Fran on them.  Still have another couple RTs to use out of the deal.  It's a shitload of miles. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 06, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

The wife and I both did it the last time around.  We're flying to Kauai in a month and Florida later this year.  We've also flown to San Fran on them.  Still have another couple RTs to use out of the deal.  It's a cacload of miles. 

It really is an amazing deal. If you can spend the 2.5 and then pay it off, you'll get 105,000 VA miles which would be good to three round-trip on aa to anywhere in Mexico or carribean. St Lucia, Jamaica, grand Cayman, etc. Insane for only 95 bucks.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
I'm a mileage noob....can I buy a ticket for another person to travel if I am not?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 06, 2011, 09:33:31 PM »
I'm a mileage noob....can I buy a ticket for another person to travel if I am not?

Yes. The reward stuff goes fairly fast though. It's not like buying a regular ticket. Go to aa.com sign up for the rewards program and then search flights under aa awards to see what's available and how much points, etc. You can't just say "I wanna fly from kc to la next Friday" and expect to use miles.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »

Yes. The reward stuff goes fairly fast though. It's not like buying a regular ticket. Go to aa.com sign up for the rewards program and then search flights under aa awards to see what's available and how much points, etc. You can't just say "I wanna fly from kc to la next Friday" and expect to use miles.

cool...we have a couple of family friends in England I'd like to have visit...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 06, 2011, 11:43:57 PM »
Insane for only 95 bucks.

95 bucks though.  goddamn.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 06, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
Insane for only 95 bucks.

95 bucks though.  goddamn.

I booked $1,100 worth of flights in January, for July for 50k.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 06, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »
I booked $1,100 worth of flights in January, for July for 50k.

goddamn.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 07, 2011, 06:14:04 AM »
our flights to kauai are currently available for about $1k each

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »
Goddamn I love this crap. My girlfriend and I are going to San Fran in October for 7 nights. Flights a result of United card. Hotel from SPG cards. All free for signing up for some rough ridin' credit cards. Thank you goEMAW. Thank you.  :AA: <-- But United and SPG

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 07, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »
Goddamn I love this crap. My girlfriend and I are going to San Fran in October for 7 nights. Flights a result of United card. Hotel from SPG cards. All free for signing up for some rough ridin' credit cards. Thank you goEMAW. Thank you.  :AA: <-- But United and SPG

:emawkid:

mrs. dave and I are going 10 nights (11 with redeye home) split between Kauai/Maui in early May.  Staying 4 at the Hyatt Kauai, 1 at the Sheraton Kauai and 5 at the Westin Maui.  Flying AA.  All paid for including the rental cars and island hop now that we have the Cap One Venture miles. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 07, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
How do you book AA domestic flights with BA miles?  I want to fly out of MHK to Miami in September but I have no clue how to look up availability through BA's website.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 07, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »
How do you book AA domestic flights with BA miles?  I want to fly out of MHK to Miami in September but I have no clue how to look up availability through BA's website.

Just like you would when using BA to book on BA metal.  It will show no results but give you the option to "include partners" and when you hit this it will show available flights.  You shoudl find the flight you want on AA's website and confirm it is available at the lowest tier to book as this is much easier than navigating for AA on BA's site.  Then go to the BA site and put in the dates you found available on the AA site.  If they don't show up on the BA site but they did on the AA site under the lowest redemption tier you can call BA and they will book them for you.  Tell them you aren't paying the extra phone fee because they wouldn't come up on their site and they will waive the fee.  If they don't see the flight give them the exact flight numbers from the AA site and they will be able to locate it then.