Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1001955 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7800 on: September 10, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »
Have to be approved by 9/14 for the 30k pts

Post it, man!

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: September 10, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »

Have to be approved by 9/14 for the 30k pts

Post it, man!
It's not a link. Have to dm me an email address that I put in and they send it to you.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: September 10, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
when pete starts something up, he really goes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: September 10, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »

yeah, it's pretty commendable. pete, you on adderal tho?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: September 10, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »

yeah, it's pretty commendable. pete, you on adderal tho?

No, but I've been exercising like every day, so that helps a bunch.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: September 10, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
We need to get sued or something to give Pete some more diversity of things to think about.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: September 10, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
We need to get sued or something to give Pete some more diversity of things to think about.

I worry a LOT less these days, it's more about "healthy" obsessive stuff.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: September 10, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »

I worry a LOT less these days, it's more about "healthy" obsessive stuff.

Good.  That said, w/my Nick Russell setup, feel free to call up until 1:30 am your time.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: September 10, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
OK, so I applied for two today, and got approved for both the Hilton Hhonors Citi with the 75,000 bonus after a spend of 2000 in 3 months, and the SPG Amex with a bonus of 30,000 after a spend of 3000 in 3 months.

I can hit that spend, but I will probably need to hold off on other cards until I can get my 3 month spend window closer to the Xmas and New Years holiday season.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: September 10, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »
OK, so I applied for two today, and got approved for both the Hilton Hhonors Citi with the 75,000 bonus after a spend of 2000 in 3 months, and the SPG Amex with a bonus of 30,000 after a spend of 3000 in 3 months.

I can hit that spend, but I will probably need to hold off on other cards until I can get my 3 month spend window closer to the Xmas and New Years holiday season.

:thumbs:

Offline wpizzacat

• Fan
  • Extra Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: September 10, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »

i have confidence in you, sd.

also, should clarify some of the benefits more. On top of 100k MR points that are worth at least $1k even if you just book flights through Amex (and a lot more if you transfer to the right partner):

Tell me more about the "lot more if you transfer to the right partner" part...

like, if you transfer 9k MR points to British Air you can fly RT on American Air from Kansas City to Chicago. That's probably not an expensive RT flight but say $350 on an average day? That's 3.9 cents per mile. Amex will book any flight anywhere for you at 1 cent per mile but you get real value by transferring to their partners and booking awards that way. There is a much larger pain in the ass factor in doing so though, and you have to make sure award availability is there, etc. I love doing stuff like this so it negates a lot of the PITA factor for me though.

At 1 cent per mile with Amex, how do they compare to "retail" prices with American, for example, using American frequent flyer miles obtained from flight?  Does Chase UR similarly have good value booking through them, or is Amex is the best at this?

If you like to transfer MR to BA, you might want to move some before the end of the month. The transfer rate is being devalued on Oct 1st. Going from MR1000:BA1000 to MR1000:BA800.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/06/04/ouch-membership-rewards-devalues-transfer-ratio-to-british-airways/

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7811 on: September 10, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
Also, Pete, here in a couple months we're going to get you a SW card or two and get you a companion pass for 2016 & 2017.

both pete and his wife should do that cause family of four and all. he'll have to transfer some marriott points or something to top off to 110 though.

I have faith that Pete can buy enough hot tub related products to get to that 110k figure.

Guys, I am sitting at 74,413 points for THIS year RIGHT now on Southwest (I have lie 83K overall on Southwest but 74K is just this year), and I am also sitting on 155,000 Marriott points.  I had NO idea that I could transfer Marriott points to Southwest for credit toward the companion pass...WHAT IS THE CATCH????

the catch (i guess) is that they don't transfer 1:1

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi

Do you guys think it's worth it to try and go for the companion pass now, this late in the year?  I mean on the one hand, I have the 74K for this year, and would hate to "waste" that when I am somewhat close to getting a companion pass, BUT I don't want to burn a bunch of Marriott or other points just to get ther and only have 15 months of Companion pass if I just wait and am able to do it effectively later and get more like 20+ months.  I am, however, concerned that I won't be able to get as close to the target next year because I already have a Chase Southwest card and have apparently made them grumpy and less likely to give me another Southwest card.   :ohno:

dunno. there are four different chase southwest cards though. 2 personal and 2 businaaaassss. you're probably fine holding off.

OK, here is the big trade off....you really got me thinking about this Cancun pricing, and I just looked it up, and I am about THIS close to flying all four of us down there the first week of January and burning my Marriott points on the Casa Magna for the week.  THIS close, Rick.

you should do it and i'll take you one step further. you and your wife could both apply for the wyndham cards. there is a $69 ( :D) fee that is not waived but you get 45k wyndham points. that will get you three nights at the all inclusive wyndham azteca just outside of playa del carmen. you and your wife both get it and boom, for $138 you have six nights at a pretty decent all inclusive.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2152&cellNumber=12&prodidreq=CCVVS64804&referrerid=PointG15v2

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d185331-Reviews-Viva_Wyndham_Azteca-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

I booked the trip.  We got our flights for the 4 of us for 18K each round trip, and it was only more because of a mere personal preference on when we leave (wanted minimize kid time away from school). 

I agonized over it, but I elected to blow the Marriott points on the Casa Magna for 6 nights.  I really like that hotel.  I think it will be a great vacation right at a time of the year when I will totally need it!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: September 10, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »
Also, Pete, here in a couple months we're going to get you a SW card or two and get you a companion pass for 2016 & 2017.

both pete and his wife should do that cause family of four and all. he'll have to transfer some marriott points or something to top off to 110 though.

I have faith that Pete can buy enough hot tub related products to get to that 110k figure.

Guys, I am sitting at 74,413 points for THIS year RIGHT now on Southwest (I have lie 83K overall on Southwest but 74K is just this year), and I am also sitting on 155,000 Marriott points.  I had NO idea that I could transfer Marriott points to Southwest for credit toward the companion pass...WHAT IS THE CATCH????

Do you guys think it's worth it to try and go for the companion pass now, this late in the year?  I mean on the one hand, I have the 74K for this year, and would hate to "waste" that when I am somewhat close to getting a companion pass, BUT I don't want to burn a bunch of Marriott or other points just to get ther and only have 15 months of Companion pass if I just wait and am able to do it effectively later and get more like 20+ months.  I am, however, concerned that I won't be able to get as close to the target next year because I already have a Chase Southwest card and have apparently made them grumpy and less likely to give me another Southwest card.   :ohno:

dunno. there are four different chase southwest cards though. 2 personal and 2 businaaaassss. you're probably fine holding off.

OK, here is the big trade off....you really got me thinking about this Cancun pricing, and I just looked it up, and I am about THIS close to flying all four of us down there the first week of January and burning my Marriott points on the Casa Magna for the week.  THIS close, Rick.

you should do it and i'll take you one step further. you and your wife could both apply for the wyndham cards. there is a $69 ( :D) fee that is not waived but you get 45k wyndham points. that will get you three nights at the all inclusive wyndham azteca just outside of playa del carmen. you and your wife both get it and boom, for $138 you have six nights at a pretty decent all inclusive.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2152&cellNumber=12&prodidreq=CCVVS64804&referrerid=PointG15v2

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d185331-Reviews-Viva_Wyndham_Azteca-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

I booked the trip.  We got our flights for the 4 of us for 18K each round trip, and it was only more because of a mere personal preference on when we leave (wanted minimize kid time away from school). 

I agonized over it, but I elected to blow the Marriott points on the Casa Magna for 6 nights.  I really like that hotel.  I think it will be a great vacation right at a time of the year when I will totally need it!

nice! what dates?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: September 10, 2015, 10:20:23 PM »

nice! what dates?

Dec 31 - Jan 6

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: September 10, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »
well i'll be god damned. i didn't even look at december dates. assumed they would be really high.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7815 on: September 10, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »

well i'll be god damned. i didn't even look at december dates. assumed they would be really high.

They were, for the most part.  December 31st was a sweet spot, but still at 11K per leg.  On the way back, the prices were really high before the 6th.  On the 6th we could have gotten a 10 hour trip back for 6K a leg, but chose the 7 hour option for 9K a leg.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: September 11, 2015, 01:46:06 AM »
my experience with Marriott points is that as soon I spend them more points just show up in my account to replace them but that could also be related to me spending half my life in Marriott hotels
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: September 11, 2015, 01:47:17 AM »
speaking of Marriott I used 90k points toward a room at the Cosmo for March madness like a month ago and the points still haven't come out of my account. usually they leave my account right away but not this time. so I dunno maybe I just get to keep the points?  I also got credited twice for one stay last month somehow

Marriott: when we eff up it's generally in your favor
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: September 11, 2015, 06:15:37 AM »
That's pretty amazing GFA, the points come out when you book. I'd say they are yours.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: September 11, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
That's pretty amazing GFA, the points come out when you book. I'd say they are yours.

GFA needs to put this honey hole to the test....and get himself SWA companion pass! 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: September 11, 2015, 07:26:42 AM »
I still would like to know how 18k hyatt points showed up in my account after a 3 night award stay. Obviously not enough to call them and ask but still. The itch is there

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: September 11, 2015, 07:40:53 AM »
I still would like to know how 18k hyatt points showed up in my account after a 3 night award stay. Obviously not enough to call them and ask but still. The itch is there

did you complain about something? sometimes they will credit back all or part of your stay if you did.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: September 11, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
think of how cool pete is gonna be after he has a billion credit card miles.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »

that's my thought too but who knows. the trip is six months out so they have time to notice it and adjust it but hopefully they don't!
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: September 11, 2015, 08:38:22 AM »

GFA needs to put this honey hole to the test....and get himself SWA companion pass!

my wife is allergic to peanuts and almost dies every time we fly swa so I concentrate on AA miles
emaw